Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What matrix number?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 00:06
Well, there is a conundrum... and let me explain it by showing you the following code. My conundrum will become clearer after you've studied it...

There. Now, what I wonder is this. I have no love of flying. Not in this gamelet anyway. But that is what the camera is doing. It is flying all over the place.

I do have the remedy for it. I have a snippet ready to yank the camera back to earth, but that snippet uses get ground height(). But to be able to use that, I need to know which matrix I'm in.

As you saw from the loop, the program creates seven chained matrixes, and the camera is moving all over the place. Now I KNOW it's something very silly and simple, and I'm going to feel very stupid afterwards, but how do I find out -- easily -- in what matrix I am so that I can paste the matrix number into the get ground height() function?

I'll kiss your feet if you can answer. I've been trying to figure this out all day.

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 00:12
Well if you know which matrix covers which area, then it is simple. You can even use types if you're really fancy:

etcetera

or using types:

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 01:38
I was of course hoping that I wouldn't have to weave in big a location checker for the matrix into the algorithms I've made. I was hoping there was a 'hey presto', here's a nifty little command.

Oh well...

-----
They SAID that given enough time a million monkeys with typewriters could recreate the collected works of William Shakespeare... Internet sure proved them wrong.
-----
Da_real_sonic
Years of Service
User Offline
i juat want to say something about david89 127.0.0.1 isnt binary because binary can only be 1 and 0 indicating from these numbers
128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1 those numbers can also give out letters but always given as 1 and 0

You got one chance
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 21:36
David89 sig is 2 seperate quotes.
127.0.0.1 simply is a ip loopback address that always points to the local computer(home).
There's no place like 127.0.0.1(home).

I'm sure you can work out the joke in the second one.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 22:07 Edited at: 27th Aug 2003 22:08
How could you mix up the 127.0.0.1 quote with the second quote? 0_0

Somebody earlier had the nerve to tell me 10 wasn't two in binary as it had 4 separate combinations!

The only sig which has caused me more trouble is the counter one, where a forum bug meant that sometimes it didn't put the img tags in.

There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
TDK_Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 23:04
If you have MatEdit, there's a couple of functions in the LoadMatrix.dba include file which comes with it - one of which will return the matrix number you are currently above.

In fact the second of the two functions can handle matrices which are stacked on top of each other and between them will tell you how many matrices are above and below you, as well as which one you are standing on and which one is immediately above your head.

TDK

MatEdit Pro Info & Progress Reports: http://www.matedit.com
MicroMan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 16:18
No, actually not. I can't run MatEDIT because it crashes my computer all the time. And I've got Win2K so it shouldn't be possible...

I use heightmaps to make my matrices. If you use PhotoShop and the Render --> Difference Clouds filter you get good height maps that only need a little bit of post-work.

That doesn't solve texturing different parts, but I'll figure out a way.

-----
-----
TDK_Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2003 22:36 Edited at: 1st Sep 2003 22:42
No, what I actually said was:

"If you have MatEdit, there's a couple of functions in the LoadMatrix.dba include file which comes with it - one of which will return the matrix number you are currently above."

I didn't say you had to use MatEdit. Just use the functions supplied with it - or see how I did it. Might be of some help...

TDK

PS: I've run MatEdit V1.6e on a Win2K machine and I know other users have too, so I know the OS isn't the reason why you can't run it. Do you get any error messages?

MatEdit Pro Info & Progress Reports: http://www.matedit.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:37:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:37:07