Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Sand Storm suggestions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 19:36
So I'm working on a desert level(s) that the player will hopefully get lost in. I was going to aim for 4 zones to this level. each having various paths that can be taken. If the wrong path is taken, the game sets you back to the beginning of zone 1. I managed to create a sand storm, but I am not satisfied with it. Below is an image of what I have so far. The way I created it, was I made a cube, and added an image to the cube with a transparent background, with sand colored dots on it. Then applied the scrolling image shader to the cube, and instanced the cube around the levels. I tried using particles, and did not like the results. If anyone has played "The Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time" there is a desert zone in that game with an effect that I was hoping to acheive, but so far have been unsuccessful. Any suggestions would be of great value, as I am still learning the whole trickery thing. Thanks gents / ladies.[img]null[/img]

The darkest minds, are often the brightest.
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 20:06
You could try to make an animated textures on a plain that is attached to the camera with the zdepth turned off. Then turn fog on with a color that is close to the sand.

There's something in this room that makes you can't speak well.
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2009 22:41
here's a quick and dirty example of scrolling a single texture over a plane to get a "storm" effect (ie, no "animation" necessary. you'll have to fix the plane to the camera as CM stated for your 3d game).

play with the values (arrowkeys) and you'll see you can pull off a decent sandstorm with minimal performance hit using this simple technique.

good luck!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Sickly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2009 14:58 Edited at: 12th Sep 2009 15:42
Thanks. Going to play with that and try both of your options. CoughMist always seems to have good info.

Virtual Nomad, the demo you sent me is EXACTLY the type of effect I looking for! Havn't even looked at the code so im off to play with it and see what i can come up with. Thanks both of you.

ok. little problem i have run into. would i use the"SET CAMERA TO OBJECT ORIENTATION" command to attach the object to the camera? I cant seem to find anything in the help files on attaching objects to camera, or would it be the image to camera?

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Sep 2009 20:36 Edited at: 13th Sep 2009 20:36
Sickly, sorry for a late response, but try the following if you haven't figured it out yet:

I had a baby to take care of too!

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a quick bit here. When you rotate the camera, you want the dust to move at a different speed. So instead of this:

scroll object texture SandStorm, .005,0

You might want to do this:

scroll object texture SandStorm, .005 + deltayrot/100.0,deltazrot/100.0

this would also mean that you need a texture seamless on the top and bottom edges too, instead of just the left and right.
Sickly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Sep 2009 20:19 Edited at: 15th Sep 2009 00:05
Thanks Coughmist. I havnt had time to play with any of it since my last thread.. The baby has had a double ear infection and I've been in class all day, but tonight after I lay her down, ill definatly be playing around with it. Thanks for the help.

Well, I finished working on it and wanted to post a pic and thank everyone that helped. I still need to tweak the speed on the sand texture, but its working which is all that matters at this point. Now im off to work on my speech project

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 18:38
Sorry about the ear infection! I'm sure that is tough for the whole family! Hopefully your kiddo gets to feeling better soon!

The pic you posted looks really good! Hopefully soon we'll be able to see it in action!

@Neuro Fuzzy:

I have seen 'deltaz...', 'deltay...', etc. around the forums, but could you explain what they are? Are they just variables you have chosen that keep track of the camera angles, or do they serve a more specific purpose?

Dream And Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Sep 2009 20:25
Delta is used in physics and maths to represent a small change. Therefore delta y would be a small change in y. Here Neuro is using the variables to hold a small change in x and y rotation.

Or at least I think he is, lol.

"You get what everyone gets, you get a lifetime!" - Death, The Sandman Library

First you Dream, then you ... - Neil Gaiman, 2001
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 00:43
Thank you! I did some google research on it as well. I was thinking that my DBP was broken and I was missing some command lines!

Sickly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Sep 2009 19:21
hmm. I might look into that after i finish working on the game menu. I had a spark of idea that i want to try and use for my main game menu. (video image background), and I just bought the Dark Principles dvd set to help me better understand things that i still dont know, like saving memory, ect. I'll gladly post some video footage or post the file for the game im working on once im more confortable showing it off here, as im still new and dont wanna see my work get flammed . Thanks for all your support CoughMist, you are an awesome individual.

Red Rain
Years of Service
User Offline
Sometimes you can use the "fog comand, fog distance" if your graphic card supports it and use the sand image particales to touch up the density of the game.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 10:36:08
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 10:36:08