Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / 2d editable level data question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What is the best way to store editable 2d map data. eg. building placement, movable objects-boxes and such. I want to be able to store a large amount of objects including position,state and so on.

Should I use memblocks,arrays,or a data file

And if I should use memblocks Is there a tutorial on how to use them because the One with DBpro is kind of lacking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Redostrike
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 18:33
When i used qbasic and i programed a RPG then i used DATA and ARRAYS together. There was a tutorial for it but i do not know if its the best way in Darkbasic. If you are intrested look for RPG Qbasic on google.

Only heroes live forever.
Beatboxing Rulllllllllllzzzzzzzzzzzzz
www.redostrike-yugioh.tk
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 02:04
If the data is going to be of any size then using an external file to store the data is a good idea and it also makes it slightly easyer to make an editor and no messing about inserting data commands into your code everytime you make a change to either.

How you store the data in this file is upto you and depends on what you need to store.

You could load the date from the file into memblocks or arrays. Unless there is a reason why you can't use arrays I would use them over memblocks. I find it much easier to keep track of.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:09:18
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:09:18