Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / buildings cities roads etec.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey All,

Actually have afew questions here. Im working on a rouge squadron/star fox style game. Im having trouble with level development.

My concept right now is to start out the game in a futuristic city (bad guys invade/ you have to fight them off/ defend transports of fleeing civies). Im really struggleing with getting the city made. Im decent at moddleing ships and stuff, but the Idea of making a whole city just for one level.

So far the only solution I have is to make 5 or 6 buildings, build them in a corner of the map, and then post a back round with more buildings. It kinda works, but Im just not thrilled with it. Id really like to fly over the city. Oh, also, I am using Advanced Terrain for the map, coloring the "city portion" a greyish color.

SO... first, Id like to ask if any one has experiance with this, and if they have a better technique.

I also was thinking about putting some roads on ht map. Performance wise it seems like on idea I had of building several template chunks and repeating them all over the map. I would texture it straight to the terreain, but I don't have that much control over the terrain controls Im using.

"We Few... We HAPPY Few... We Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."
R.I.P PFC Ray Spencer, KIA June 21st 2007, Baghdad
Scorpyo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2009 10:29 Edited at: 20th Sep 2009 10:33
Hi,
I've never tackled such a task but to me there are few possible alternatives.
If it's a totally urban scenario you could build the city in blocks ( to be made as limbs of the same object ) and hide what's not visible to the player, or assemble them as different objects and use exclude object command to save graphic power and polygon rendering.
This defeats the chance to easily fly over the cities because you wuold need to render them completely.

Another possibility is to use a trade off like in these pictures. A mixture of buildings and flat image of the city

I never liked this idea too much.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/universalcombat/images/0/62/

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/universalcombat/images/0/120/

Or you could used a detailed version of the city for urban walk and a simplified version for flying over

Sure it's gonna be a lot of work for your project
my 2 cents
cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 10:26:48
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 10:26:48