Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / C++ DGkK; EzRotate; ? Keyboard Issue & Losing X,Y model Positions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 05:31
Just curious, what can cause EZ Rotate to lose X & Y positions of a object.

Seams to happen when I use the Keyboard or Joystick to change the orientation a model. I am sure I just caused a memory leak somewhere.

It's just a behavior that happens when I use the keyboard or joystick with Ez Rotate. Just wondering if anybody else has ran it to a similar situtation.

There are many answers but just one question" ~ Jerilith the Mad
Sven B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 12:09
To be honest, I'm kind of skeptical of Ron Ericksson having a memory leak in its plug-in, as he's too experienced...
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I thought his plug-in didn't have any commands that use keyboard or joystick input from within the DLL.
Could you please post some code for us to reproduce the error?

Sven B

Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 12:42 Edited at: 18th Sep 2009 12:51
Quote: "Also, correct me if I'm wrong, I thought his plug-in didn't have any commands that use keyboard or joystick input from within the DLL."

You are correct. No his plug in does not. My inputs come from the DGK, dbScanCode(), dbUpKey() and the like.

I am sure that some where the memory leak is something I put in the program. I have started to use Class, they are really good at telling me when I made a mistake (program crash).

This is something more subtle, something is overriding the EzRoate Euros. This is not the first time this has happened. The first symptom occurs when I press the keys or do changes to models orientation. Something causes the erous to return a error the gives me the location of 1#EEEE as the X and Y position of my model, but only when I use the keyboard or joystick as a input device. The code is still working of passively for other objects (like missiles following their target). These are free of the keyboard/joystick code. My program has grown to larger size and the code is not all that easy just to drop in and have a people peck over it.

Currently I dropped the Ez Roate code off of the player model, brought back a generic simple code and the model stays where it is suppose to be, just not as smoothly. I might try another degree of separation, make adjustments on where the object will be then let the other part that still works with the Ez Rotate process the players model.

My question has anybody else who has used EzRotate ran into a similar situation. EzRotate has made my life a lot easier.

Ron Erickson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 12:51
I haven't seen this happen before.
I'd suggest trying to temporarily eliminate chunks of your code to try to better isolate your problem.

a.k.a WOLF!
Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2009 21:15
I will have to some more poking at the code. I also just discovered a camera issue, that popped up. It co insides about the same time the 1#EEE error. I got a feeling the two are related. I am working a multiplayer game, using the Darknet. My last multiplayer test, one player was adjusting both cameras! (across the clients) So I am thinking my issue is around there. I got a feeling that Ez rotate may be trying to read a object that's not there, or not with valid coordinates, that could cause it to go crazy. Well back to poking the code with a stick. Thanks for the input. Later

Timidon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 05:57 Edited at: 19th Sep 2009 05:57
I started pealing the code back, piece at a time and I broke it big time. Ohh well, I figure it is time to redesign that module anyway. It's kinda experimental for me. The next version of the wheel will be more round, less square.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 14:43:34
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 14:43:34