Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Is DBPro language actually just BASIC?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 10:52
Hey guys sorry for another noob question but i wasnt really sure on this is dbpro and db language that u use in it the same as just regular old BASIC?

As the countless numbers hunger for worldwide reknown.
All the pimping sons of plunder will roll up there sleeves.
Dream And Death
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 11:10 Edited at: 19th Sep 2009 20:50
And what exactly is 'regular old BASIC'?

There never has been one BASIC language. I grew up writing programs in Spectrum BASIC and BBC BASIC in the 80's...so if there was ever just one BASIC, it was before then!

I moved on to Visual BASIC and now I'm having fun with DarkBASIC Pro.

"You get what everyone gets, you get a lifetime!" - Death, The Sandman Library

First you Dream, then you ... - Neil Gaiman, 2001
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 15:28
Yes, Dark Basic is regular old Basic but with a lot more commands.

Come see the WIP!
Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 19th Sep 2009 19:46 Edited at: 19th Sep 2009 19:46
It's Basic on steroids without any of the shrinking parts problem. There are many commands that are slightly skewed in Darkbasic like the MID$ command can only take out 1 character at a time rather than any amount with regular Basic. But the beauty of Darkbasic Pro is that you can add commands with plugins. IanM's Matrix 1 Utilities Plug-in restores a lot of the old Basic commands for Darkbasic Pro... like MID$ and 2D drawing commands with color at the end.

The sprite commands are really cool since we don't have to replace the background anymore like Basic would require.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2009 16:34
Basic just denotes that the language is accessible to beginners and is not directly held to specific standards. For instance, it's not like we get Ansi-BASIC like we do with Ansi-C. Ansi would be a documented standard that some applications adhere to, there may well be standards for the BASIC dialect but I've never seen anything like that enforced.

It's best to assume that BASIC is a very thin standard to allow for specifics, like graphics engines etc. You could probably list the core, standard commands of most BASIC's on an a4 sheet, but then there could be 1000 non-standard commands on top of that - it just depends on what language you use.

It's worth noting that some languages take the BASIC name and run off with it, often sticking it onto languages that behave more like hybrids. For instance I see PureBASIC as being quite similar to Pascal, and DBPro feels more like it has a scripting engine on top due to the readability of the commands.

The important thing is to learn the commands, so the easier the syntax, the better. I think DBPro has the most 'english' commands out of any BASIC language, so it's easy to learn because the commands are quite memorable.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Kevin Picone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2009 18:32 Edited at: 21st Sep 2009 18:34
There used to be (perhaps still is) an Ansi standard for BASIC. Not that anybody really follows it - Moderns BASIC languages are based upon a set of pseudo standards that evolved through the popularity of particular dialects. So it's not that uncommon for different dialects to include similar syntax. Some dialects even include fall compatibility.

Colonel_Klink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 00:56 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2009 00:57
Ah good old BASIC. I began with BASIC on an Atari ST, and managed to make a sort of submarine game. Then along came STOS which was a form of basic with added stuff (this eventually became Click and Play and Multimedia Fusion). I've had a fun and profitable ride with creating applications in Visual Basic. Now I'm looking at RealBasic, mainly for its portability across platforms. I've had DarkBasic Pro for a couple of years and when I first looked at I went yuck!. Closed the hood and continued with the languages I was familiar.

Recently I've opened the hood again and got stuck into DBPro and am left shaking my head as to why I hadn't got into it sooner.

I've seen many forms of BASIC over the years and dabbled in a few such a QBasic, LibertyBasic, PowerBasic and a few derivitive forms.
In reality they are simple to learn, I guess that is the reason the B stands for Beginners. Although some advanced BASIC languages have added more to the mix to confuse the Beginner.

Anyway here's some links you might want to have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC
and if you want to try more BASIC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_BASIC_dialects

Oh my gosh! He's wearing Full Metal Pyjamas!
--------------------------------------------
Darth Vader
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2009 02:50
Good old QBASIC! I loved messing around with printing text waiting for user input (Which had to match perfectly otherwise the program would fail lol). Then we got this big book full of game code, of course you needed to program it all in. Was so much fun!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 10:31:38
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 10:31:38