Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Dirty effects :-)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Aug 2003 23:22 Edited at: 27th Aug 2003 23:23
I have been trying to create the effect of dirt flying up from the wheels of a car. I made a simple effect with textured planes which follow the car getting larger the further away. Though it looked crap. I was wondering if any one had any tips (or even better: code ) that made something a bit more relistic?

And one last thing, has anyone managed to use the dbpro particle commands to make a good dirt effect?

Thanks
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 01:16 Edited at: 28th Aug 2003 01:16
I did it well in this game:

http://www.aozf28.dsl.pipex.com/offrsc3.jpg

though the code is far too integratd into my game - i'll try and find a snippet of it...

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 12:54
Cool, Thanks
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 13:16 Edited at: 28th Aug 2003 13:18
Okay open dbp and paste this code

and smoke.bmp:

now you will notice the variable focusobj - that is the object the dust / smoke will follow. Calling controlsmoke will update the particles.

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 14:04
Sweet Thanks!
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 17:32
Ok, so I changed the white smoke picture to brown. Though it looks crap now.

Ghost object works all right for white pictures, though for darkly brown one it makes the tansparent and bright orange!

I'm now trying to use .png images, though can't get them to work.

Any ideas how to get dark mud like the first picture above?
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 18:53 Edited at: 28th Aug 2003 18:57
make a second car with a different name (mud_surface.x for example) and then open the texture file and set it to black in a paint package, then load the second car with the black texture, make the object transparent with the object properties, and then scale it up to 101% or something like that, and position it at the same position and orientation as the first car, that gives you a second transparent car wrapped over the visible one and slightly larger, load the texture and use it to texture the car, then paste splats onto the texture near where the wheel arches are (you may have to poke around to find them) and that part of the transparent car will become visible with a texture on it (the black stays invisible but the colour is visible), since it is almost the same size as the car it will look like the car just got splattered, cheers.

Mentor.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 19:59 Edited at: 28th Aug 2003 19:59
Quote: "Ok, so I changed the white smoke picture to brown. Though it looks crap now.

Ghost object works all right for white pictures, though for darkly brown one it makes the tansparent and bright orange!

I'm now trying to use .png images, though can't get them to work."

You need to make the texture a really, really dark brown. Plus, testing on a black background won't make it look right. Having a landscape behind makes it look much better

my texture:

Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't
Bus station = where bus stops Train station = where train stops. Workstation = ?
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 20:25
@Mentor:
Nice idea. My car's polycount is way to high for that. I'll probably just make different levels of dirt on the current texture.

@David89:
Ok, thanks for the dust image.
Here's a screen shot of what it looks like:

Looks like u blew up my car!
Guess I'll play about with the ambient light

Thanks!!!
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 20:48
I think you need to move the focusobj back a bit and maybe run the updatesmoke sub one every 5 or so loops to add less particles

Have fun!

Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't
Bus station = where bus stops Train station = where train stops. Workstation = ?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:34:06
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:34:06