Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Simple modelling question.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 04:03
Made models using AC3D. How do I animate?

Making my way through life one line of code at a time...
Kira Vakaan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 04:19
Well, you'll need to export it to a program that can do animations, like CharacterFX or Blender. I'm sure there are other free ones, but those are the ones I've heard of.

I've never used CharacterFX, but I hear it's good. On the other hand, Blender is absolutely amazing. I do all of my modeling, texturing, and animating with only Blender. It's completely free and open source. I'd check out both anyway.

You should pick a program you want to use to do animations, find out which file formats are supported for export by AC3D, and which file formats are supported by your animation program for import and then choose one to use. I'd recommend the DirectX model format (.x) as I do everything with that format.

Actually, I just checked and CharacterFX doesn't import .x, so if that's what you chose, you'd have to pick a different format. Blender imports just about everything AC3D can throw at it, and even supports AC3D's own format (.ac), making Blender the better choice.
BMacZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 04:22
You need to use .OBJ's with CFX or it will mess stuff up or crash. I haven't tried Blender's animation much because I hear it is nigh impossible to get it to export to DarkBASIC correctly, while with CFX as long as you follow the pre-established workflow it will work fine, and even have mesh deform capabilities.

Wreckka
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 04:25
Thanx for the quick response! Now I have another question for you. After I animate, and I export it to use in DBPro, how do I get my model to do the animation? Say I have a man with a walking animation and a fighting animation. How would I get it so that when I press the move button he uses the move animation while the model slides forward, and when I press the attack button he performs a attack animation?

Making my way through life one line of code at a time...
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2009 13:08
Once you have your animated model,it has for example 40 frames.sopose that your model walk from frame 1 to 10:

load object "my_model",1

play object 1,1,10

now if in the model animation it runs from frame 11 to 20:

play object 1,11,to 20 ....and so on

you could animate your model with any 3D program but you have to do it manually, for example...make several copies of the object in AC3D and move slightly the vertex of each model and then do the rest hiding and showing limbs.

Here you can find a piece of code. Cheers

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=157996&b=10

oh my god

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 10:28:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 10:28:29