Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / adding ground without Matrix

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
okay i mannaged to get my Hut on screen without it being to close which totally rocks i understand what some of the code does not all so here is the code so far also i think i better stop using that youtube tutorials canny getting me no where XD him using the matrix

First someone tell me what size#* means coz i dunno i can't figure it out and pressing F1 doesent give me any help

now i want to texture my object 1 which being the hut and also add a ground just underneath the hut without the aid of the Matrix ty im making a pratic RPG just 1 hut and after adding a few trees and then items

hello i love games
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 02:51 Edited at: 29th Sep 2009 03:01
1, please don't start a new thread (again) for basically the same or very related questions.

2, size# is the variable i used in the code example to hold the object's size (the # sign denotes it's a "real" or "float" variable. ie, 1000.0 vs 1000 (which is in integer) )

2a, the * is math for multiplication. so, size# (times) 3.0 . i was making sure the camera was at an appropriate distance away from the object and figured 3 times the object's radius would work well enough. later i made sure the object was within the camera's range by setting the range to 4 times the object's radius (ie, 4 > 3)

3, re: texturing your hut, you'd be best to texture it right inside your modeling software and then save it (the model) WITH the texture embedded. i say that because it's the simplest way, to me.

4, if you don't want to use a matrix, you can use the "built-in" advanced terrain commands, or model the ground (the same way you modeled your hut). of course, you'll have to decide how you're going to "walk" on whatever ground/terrain you use which is why i would actually recommend using the Matrix because it's relatively easy to use. plug in your x and z values and receive the ground height, or your base y value for whatever you want to place, move, or have navigate the "ground". it won't be the most realistic terrain ever but it will help you learn the concept of how you might go about having your player walk up and down "hills", for example.

5, do yourself a HUGE favor and read ALL the help files included with DBPro. especially the PRINCIPLES files which will familiarize you with structure and terminology found in ALL (DBPro) code you might be trying to learn from. it's the first step, really. since you had to ask what size#*3.0 meant, i'm assuming you haven't taken this first step.

good luck!

Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
Definitely do point 5 on Virtual Nomad's list before embarking on any sort of project. Good luck!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 10:28:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 10:28:09