Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Platformer programming help please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi all, i am currently boggled as how to work out to program this game idea i'm trying to approach. If anyone has some advice on how to approach this itd be very helpful.

Essentially its a mario game in black and white and you have the ability to change the color of your character and run through solid objects. EG if the block is black you switch to white and you can run through. Or if its a wwhite block you can stay white to jump on the block and continue on. Basically to go through an object you'd have to have the opposite color otherwise its an obstacle.

This is an example of it but as a puzzler but im trying to make it a platformer. The difference with the idea im trying to approach it with is that i can run and switch on the fly whereas in ishift you'd have to stop moving and touching another color.
Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvBKNCqodDI
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 13:40 Edited at: 29th Sep 2009 13:42
It's just obstacles Black = 0, white = 1

Your character = 1, or 0 as well

if character = obstacle ...........then collision..........else move player

NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 18:19
If you can get platformer collision working period this would not be difficult to implement.

kkun
Years of Service
User Offline
Ah, everyone has come to the same conclusion as i had while lying in bed. Or more of there was the solution and i was wondering if there was an even better way of doing it.
logicandchaos
Years of Service
User Offline
i played a flash game like that be4, where it was all b&w but the screen flipped when you changed the colour, i forget what it was called but it was pretty fun platform/puzzel game

i brought it up cause i was wondering when you switch colour won't you fall through the block your standing on?

logicandchaos
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2009 03:03
The game is called shift

I am mother and father, but never nurse.I'm rarely still, but I never wander. What am I? See my sketch
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2009 10:33
Quote: "The game is called shift"

pwnd! Next idea?

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
> 0 rows returned

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 13:11:55
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 13:11:55