Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / textureing an object help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
okay ive looked for a tut using the search button on textureing an object and im not sure how to do it after exporting the model from 3DWS. also my model is half though the floor matrix not to sure how to uplift it to be on the surface anyway here is a pic and my code so far and ive also places the texture in the same Dir as my model so im confused

[img]null[/img]

hello i love games
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
To change the position of the hut, use the POSITION OBJECT command. Or, lower the position of the matrix - you currently have it at 0 as part of the POSITION MATRIX command.

To texture an object, use the TEXTURE OBJECT command. Check the help files for a decent description of what parameters it takes/how to use it.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Sep 2009 19:29 Edited at: 29th Sep 2009 19:34
if you keep copying and pasting code without learning what it's doing, you're gonna start getting less and less help here. noone's gonna write your game for you. how do i know you're doing this? well, you somehow knew to offset your matrix to get it centered on 0.0,0.0,0.0 but you didn't know the center of your hut object was automatically placed at 0.0,0.0,0.0 when loaded (or you would have offset that). so, ~1/2 your hut is "underground".

you're new and i'm gonna give you some pointers because of that fact, but there comes a time (soon) when "being new" get's old. this is especially so when you choose to ignore prior advice.

while i'm typing this, i notice veron offered some help so i'll only add to what veron said by reminding you that you randomized the matrix which means the ground height can be between 0 and 10 (according to your Randomize Matrix code) and you'll need to apply most of the ground height (check the get ground height command) to whatever Y position you use with the position object placement of the hut. i say "most" because, since the ground will be un-even (due to the randomization of the matrix), the hut will likely be on un-even ground and parts will be slightly above and/or below the matrix. this is why it's good practice to include a sort of "foundation" underneath such objects that will "look right" when partially "buried" (like the foundation of a house built on a hillside, for example).

i'll leave it at that for now. learn about what you've got so far and please take the advice given to you. lots of users here are like veron and myself and like to help newer users along but if you ignore the advice and push on your way, we're gonna start feeling taken advantage of.

mixxster
Years of Service
User Offline
okay thank you for the advice ill continue to work on what u said

hello i love games

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 10:28:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 10:28:17