Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Matrix creation question.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am a DB newbie.

I want to be able to create a 3D rendering of real world terrain, and it looks like DB or DB Pro might be my solution.

Is there any way to take elevation data from a real source and use it to form a matrix that represents that terrain in DB?

Thanks.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Aug 2003 22:46
What is a "real source"? A file?

It is possible to read a number of values and construct a matrix from them. Even better, you can read a greyscale heightmap and create a terrain from that heightmap.

Theres no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't
Bus station = where bus stops. Train station = where train stops. Workstation = ?
cyberBrock
Years of Service
User Offline
David89,

Thanks for the rapid response.

Do you have an example of how a heightmap or can be used or how I could read in the data in numerical format?

I am still not sure how I will produce the raw data, but these 2 options sound interesting.

Thanks.
TDK_Man
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2003 22:40
Most decent matrix editors will allow you to load in a greyscale image and create a matrix from it.

The biggest problem is the resolution of a matrix. There probably wont be nearly as many adjustable points on a matrix as pixels in the image you want to use. MatEdit Pro (probably like all the others) averages out the sampled pixels of the greyscale image before it's applied to the matrix.

For more info, check out the MatEdit page at http://www.matedit.com.

TDK

MatEdit Pro Info & Progress Reports: http://www.matedit.com

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:32:02
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:32:02