Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

PureGDK / Welcome to the PureGDK forum!

Author
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Oct 2009 21:23 Edited at: 8th Oct 2009 03:33
TGC was kind enough to provide the PureGDK community a home here on the TGC forum. I hope to remedy any confusion here by helping people understand what PureGDK is and what it's useful for. It's also to provide a place where users can share source code and ask questions.

This is not a place to report bugs. Please direct any support inquires to support@puregdk.com where I'll be able to see and address them promptly.

More information will be available soon as time permits.

NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 18:00
I'm thinking seriously about getting this when I can. It says you can run separate threads (I think) somewhere, does this mean you can properly have a task going in the background while do other stuff, like loading objects in the background? and does this mean proper multi processor support?
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 22:07 Edited at: 10th Oct 2009 22:10
Multithreading is different from multi-core processing.

PureBasic has native support for the Win32 API so to answer your question, yes you can do multicore programming. But don't expect it to be easy.

Threads on the other hand are very easy to implement. Threads allow you to do multiple things at the same time without locking up your interface. For example, if you have to load a very large file the program will freeze until it's finished. If you unload this processing to a threads then this won't happen.

The real power is designating different actions to dedicated threads. One thread to control physics, one for AI, one for controls, and one for the main loop.

All of this is possible using PureGDK!

NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 01:27
You say Win32 API, surely it'd still work on a 64bit OS too then? I do plan on getting a new computer with Windows 7 on it eventually (though still keeping this machine too).
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 02:00 Edited at: 11th Oct 2009 02:04
The API is called "Win32" but it's the same on both 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. I use PureGDK on both Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP x64 and it works fine.

PureBasic has a 32-bit and a 64-bit compiler. Because DBP is 32-bit only the 32-bit compiler will work with PureGDK.

NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 02:04
Oops of course, I think I shouldn't ask question when I'm falling asleep!

This is sounding interesting, thanks.
Olby
Years of Service
User Offline
Nick you wont regret getting into PB and GDK. It so powerful combination. No more struggling with enormous amounts of plugins to do some basic stuff. Now its all included in the PB. Cheers.

ACER Aspire 5920G: Core2Duo 2.2GHZ, 2GB, GeForce 8600M GT 1280MB, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, DBPro 7.4 + PureGDK
Poshu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2009 14:20
Yeah, PureGDK is the best way to accomplish task that usually needs other addon like DarkData, Styx, DarkNet, Unity...
luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2009 05:49
This looks really nice, but I can't afford to buy it...

Docwes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 18:48
So I took the plunge after alot of research and thought, and became a official pureGDK and purebasic user.
One of the things that sold me was the great work Mistrel has done and a PureUnit plugin I came across, that brings unit testing into purebasic woot. Has anyone used that?
This week i'll be doing my deep dive into things. But i had a question for Mistrel. Do you have a tutorial or a getting started with puregdk for people new to purebasic and puregdk. I didnt remember seeing anything, when i installed it.
Thanks and looking forward to working with puregdk and purebasic

Coding is good~ All the time!
http://www.docwes.net/sigv2.jpg
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2009 07:59 Edited at: 4th Nov 2009 08:00
Docwes, see the help file under Help -> External Help -> PureGDK.chm. There is an example project there of a spinning cube along with a list of fundamental differences. There are also lots of examples here on the PureGDK board:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=158901&b=38

Besides this list the most obvious change is the language itself. Still being a BASIC dialect it's very similar to DBP but with its own nuances. See Gary's book for the best learning resource for getting acquainted. It's the same book I used when switching from DBP to PureBasic:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=158904&b=38

aonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Welcome Docwes,

I took the plunge nearly a year ago, and no regrets.
I enjoy purebasic every time I use it, and pureGDK brings familiar functionality from DB Pro to the table. Best of both worlds.

I was just a DB tinkerer with little skill when I took the plunge to purebasic. In the past year, I have become quite confident writing a wide variety of applications, and purebasic has always been friendly yet powerful. I have yet to encounter something I have wanted to do, which purebasic does not have the ability to do.

Good luck and have fun, I certainly do.

regards,
Dave

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:59:00
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:59:00