Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / if i made a game about myself, would that be weird?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2009 08:00
i just drew these sprites and noticed that they look like me

Remember those old guys? They made epic renders, I think one of them was called DaVinci, and all they used was MS Paint. Sometimes it's just skill....
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
You are good at hand drawing sprites I will give you that.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2009 16:20 Edited at: 9th Oct 2009 16:22
I don't think it's weird to end up drawing yourself, or to use your own image as a base for a character design. What would be weird is if you actually looked exactly like that .

It depends on the game though - to have a game where you are running around being a hero, killing things etc, then some people might consider that arrogant - however if the game was more subdued, then there's no reason why you can't star yourself. My brothers ex used to ask me to put her in a game all the time. If she was fit, then I'd see the point, but she's just miserable looking, who wants a munter in their game, just so she can tell people there's a game about her. It's arrogant to think like that, arrogant and annoying . Putting yourself in a game your making yourself is probably not arrogant at all - maybe it's like when you draw a picture of a willy on a textbook at school, we probably all draw our own, but would never actually admit to that.

The way I see it, if you decided that the character should be you, then that's very different to the character ending up looking like you. If you were to make a game like Braid, then that's the sort of thing where we expect to see similarities, whether they are advertised or not. I can imagine the lead coder of Braid to look a little bit like the player character, it just has that familiar feel to it. The character you have drawn (excellently I should add) looks like he'd be at home in a more intelligent game, like Braid, something that needs some thought.

Now for a story...
When I was in primary school we got a visit from a famous sci-fi writer whoose name escapes me, got to meet Darth Vader and Rolf Harris too, Primary school rocked in the 80's!.
Anyhoo he told us about an artist that was given the job of painting a cover for his book, but the artist kept drawing the protagonists ship as the Millenium Falcon. It was too late to change it, so the book was published with that dodgy cover - but the artist claims to have never seen Star Wars, or the Millenium Falcon before.
His resolution to that is that the artist must have seen it, but forgotten about it, then pulled it when designing the ship for the book cover. Inspiration comes from lots of places, some of which we're not even directly aware of. If you ended up making your main character look like you, then that must be who he should look like, you must want the character to be you. Can I just ask, is this a game you've been planning for a long time? - maybe even an old idea that you are reincarnating?. See whenever I think of a really old game idea, I tend to picture myself as the protagonist - maybe that's because I'd think about these ideas as a kid, and that's just how the human brain works - in our own ideas our characters don't have life yet, and to get very far in daydreaming about it, we have to flesh them out and it's easiest to use ourselves, as we are imagining being the character anyway. We probably don't think like that as adults, but kids often tell stories as if they are the protagonist.

Anyhoo, sorry to get all psycho-iatrist - I just find this stuff interesting, maybe because I'm finished work soon and it's Friday - there should be a thoughtful topic like this for every day of the week - welcome distraction!.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
bobbyd
Years of Service
User Offline
I dont think its weird great drawings by the way
Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2009 22:25
Quote: "I dont think its weird great drawings by the way"

thanks

Quote: "is this a game you've been planning for a long time?"

no, actually i was just watching a youtube video called "100 games in 10 minutes" which showed a good variety of games made in The Game Maker, and it gave me an inspirational spark to spontaneously start making a handdrawn-animation game. i drew the first sprite and was imagining what my friends would say if i showed them the game, and one of them (in my head ) asked "is that supposed to be you? " and i was like whoa.

Remember those old guys? They made epic renders, I think one of them was called DaVinci, and all they used was MS Paint. Sometimes it's just skill....
Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 03:57
oh yea, sword action, gogogo

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 04:07 Edited at: 10th Oct 2009 04:07
I would cut down on that motion blur idea. Maybe transparent will look better.

Image All
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 05:21
it's supposed to be a pencil-style game, so it's more a matter of what will look cartoony and drawing-esque rather than fancy

chwilly
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know why but it reminds me of that little guy in Willow.

I wish I could draw like that though.
NeX the Fairly Fast Ferret
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 14:58
The animation needs to put his back into it. If just his arms move it doesn't look believable. Video yourself doing an all-out sword swing, and if your shoulders don't move you must be a Borg.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "it's supposed to be a pencil-style game, so it's more a matter of what will look cartoony and drawing-esque rather than fancy"

Well it looks distorted, so try a different pencil technique, like motion lines.

Dreamsenshi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2009 18:47
Pencil-style! Like Kingdom of Loathing! Love it!

Also, using yourself is a great idea if that's what inspires you. I think Felicia Day would agree.

Your error is my treasure. =^--^=
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2009 04:55
Reminds me of Link from Zelda II in the way he's animated. I'd say keep it that way.

There is no conformance in personal style.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 01:47:13
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 01:47:13