Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Random Access, Sequential Data Files

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, maybe I'm just missing it, but I can't seem to find anything that outlines how to create, append, and save data files.

This must be possible in DBPro...!

Can someone point out where I might find this information?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 20:20
Look at the post titled "Saving" in this forum

-RUST-
Azazel
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Statsman,

This similar post may help you: http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=15644&b=7

Who ever thought super-heated friction could be so deadly?
[img]http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/extreme2/teknoman/t-man/images/TeknomanAnimation.gif
[/img]
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 21:18
There are no inbuilt commands to do it. You can either write you own which should be possible because dbpro has the ability to read/write bytes and skip bytes.

Or it could be simpler to change your method to fit in with the available commands.

Describe what you are trying to do. It's possible someone has come across the problem before and found a solution.
Statsman1
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, not long after I posted my question, the -SAVING- thread jumped up, and I got the information.

At this point, I'm not specifically trying to do anything...but I have a game in mind, and am trying to decide if DBPro is what I want to write it with.

I have done many, many things in Basic, QBasic and such...so this is a logical extension of that. However, it's not going to be graphics/animation-intensive, so I am looking to see if the read/write functions and the sort routines and (ESPECIALLY) the AI that I'm writing will be quick enough in DBPro, or if I have to *GULP* look at VisualBasic or C++, which I most assuredly don't want to do!

Thanks for the responses!

Statsman1
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Aug 2003 21:36
VB6 or VB.NET are fun!
C++ could be a chore if you have no prior experience.
C# is quite similar to VB.NET

If you need an VB6/NET help I am here

-RUST-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:31:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:31:00