Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Object LOD Plugin

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2010 22:56
Quote: "Just having trouble keeping artists. The last one was outstanding, but it just didn't work out."

I would offer to help as I'm a MASSIVE Frontier fan, but I have enough with my game I might have chance one day.
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 27th Apr 2010 19:57
Quote: "What do you mean by make each stage first?"

For each model that you want LOD, you should first make three (or more if needed) versions of that same model (low poly, medium poly, high poly), and then load those models into different object numbers, set those models up with kaedroho's LOD plugin, and that's it. The plugin will handle the changing of LOD thereafter.
Hope this helped?

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 04:01
Aha that did it thanks

And I suppose this will greatly increase performance correct?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 28th Apr 2010 15:38
Quote: "Aha that did it thanks "

No worries.

Quote: " this will greatly increase performance correct?"

Yep, that's the whole idea. The plugin makes the model change to the high, medium or low poly model, depending on the distance that the model is away from the camera. When the model is close to the camera, the high poly model is shown, when further away it changes to the medium or low poly model, which results in an increase of framerate due to less polygons to be drawn.

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
thenerd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th May 2010 22:51
lol, I thought it automatically made lower poly versions of the mesh.

kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Aug 2010 23:34
The forum which I host this plugin on has gone down. And my laptop which I developed it on has broke and has gone for repairs. So if anyone has a copy of this plugin, could you please upload it?

Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
I've attached the Object Lod rar. I also have the Anisotropic Filtering one, I'll post that one in its thread .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 02:19 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 02:31
Sure, I uploaded the source.

No place like 127.0.0.1 .

Attachments

Login to view attachments
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Aug 2010 02:34 Edited at: 11th Aug 2010 02:39
Thanks Hockeykid and miso!

I'll put those links on the first post, and keep them there incase someone comes along in 10 years and finds out that my new site is down.

Eminent
Years of Service
User Offline
Cool Plugin.

TuPP3
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2010 12:53 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2010 12:55
Sweet plugin, the default lod system had serious problem when using two cameras with different FOV at the same time. The lod object blinked between high and low when both cameras were active, but this doesn't have the same problem.

Would it be possible to delay and maybe fade the higher detail model when changing lod to lower for smoother transition?
Default lod had this feature.

Another question, is it possible to have different lod level distances for 2 cameras?
That is because I'm using different unzoomed main camera and zoomed scope camera.
It would be great if I could decrease the lod distance for main camera and increase the distance for scope camera when aiming, and reverse that when scope camera is deactivated.

Included screenshot to explain the camera system if my explanation was too confusing:
http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t187/TuPP3/scope-2.png?t=1288781499
kaedroho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2010 02:28
Quote: "Would it be possible to delay and maybe fade the higher detail model when changing lod to lower for smoother transition?"

I am planning on getting back to work on this dll collection soon when I get the next version of BlitzTerrain out. I'll put this feature on the todo list.

Quote: "Another question, is it possible to have different lod level distances for 2 cameras?"

Yes you can. If you update the LOD for each camera just before you render each one, it will update individually. This does require the sync mask command to be used. I might make it work like BlitzTerrain and update automatically in the sync command so you don't have to bother updating at all. Just setup your objects and this plugin will do the rest.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 10:36:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 10:36:08