Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Making a FPS

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I am very new to DarkBASIC Pro and the whole Dark Game studio. I bought this with the intentions of trying to make a FPS. I've looked at the Forums and stuff trying to get started, but I think I'm just confusing myself more. If anyone could post some information on the best way to get started making a FPS it would be greatly appreciated. Some of the things I had in mind were like a basic outline of a FPS, some pseudocode, some helpful tutorials, or some code of a working FPS that I could look at. Thanks in advance for anything submitted.

Nathaniel
cheese pwner
Years of Service
User Offline
if you want to make a fps i suggest using fps creator. It is made to create fps's (isnt that funny).
mike5424
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2009 20:51 Edited at: 25th Oct 2009 20:52
loads of tutorials http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=71748&b=1

fps tutorial http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=56770&b=7

EDIT: Try not making an account for help with one thing. (username!!!)

---
Mike5424
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 26th Oct 2009 00:33
Yes, I've been using FPSC for a while.
Very fun and easy.
I decided I wanted something more complex yet something I could do more with so I bought DBpro.

GJ

Help creating a FPS
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I looked at FPS creator, but from what I understood of it, there was not really any programming, it was all pretty much drag and drop. So, I bought the Dark Game Studio. I thought I may be able to teach myself. I am going to college for programming, but the type of programming I'm learning is more for business, so it seems a lot different for games. Oh and about the user name, I thought I was making a forum, instead I was actually setting up a profile so that I could make a forum. I tried to edit it, but you cant change your user name once you've created it.

Nathaniel
gbark
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Oct 2009 07:56
If you can get a moderator's attention I believe they have the power to change usernames. I could be wrong though, but wouldn't hurt to ask.

For starters I would definitely take a look at the tutorials, the links that mike5424 posted should be a good start. In general, I'd say you should just get familiar with the basics of DBPro -- Controlling cameras, adding 3D objects, checking for user input. Don't try to put everything altogether into a FPS yet, until you feel really comfortable with the language.

Since you seem to already have some experience programming you should be able to pick it up pretty quickly. Once you're familiar with DBPro and you're ready to start your actual game, you'll want to go through the following steps (more or less):
* Loading / Creating your 3D environment (whether it's a 3D object created in a level designing software, or a simple Matrix landscape)
* Adding user controls -- Mouse for looking, keyboard for moving and jumping
* Basic shooting and bullets (you'll need arrays for this)
* Some targets or enemies that your bullets can collide with and kill

I know it's kinda vague, but it's a start -- It's much better to try and conceptualize a project into achievable "chunks" rather than try to tackle something like an FPS game all at once. Again, for actual code implementation, your best bet is to just start looking at the tutorials scattered around the site and on the forums.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 21:22
At this moment in time, you probably have no conception of how incredibly difficult and time consuming writing an FPS is.

I've been using the DB forums since they were created over ten years ago and to the best of my knowledge, absolutely no-one who made one their first project ever finished it.

It's a daunting task to seasoned programmers and I'm not sure that one has ever been 100% completed by anyone.

As has already been hinted at, you have to start very, very small first. Even working in 2D will teach you skills that can be applied to 3D later on so don't bother with 3D straight away.

For example, when I first started DB, I already had years of programming experience, but spent a week just learning all there was to learn about using strings...

Read the tutorials for beginners and write lots of small programs which use all the commands - so you know what they do.

Boring? Yes - but essential. If you don't, I can promise you that you will get frustrated and like many, many others before you, you will give up.

Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure, but you need to be realistic when you first start.

TDK

Mulderman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2009 21:43 Edited at: 31st Oct 2009 21:52
Very good post TDK and even nicer website!
Good work.

I registered.

New GTA2 Map Editor :: http://www.gta2madness.co.cc
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 19:01
Hah, my FPS tutorial is still being referenced after all this time .
Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Because it's an awesome tutorial and it helped a ton!

I don't think that making an FPS (programming side, not graphics n storyline side) is as hard as TDK makes it out to be. That said, you still need to know the basics. If you take a look at an FPS tutorial (Ruccus's ), and you find something you don't understand, then focus on figuring that particular thing out (look up a tutorial about it, ask a question on the forums, or try to figure it out yourself).
RUCCUS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 23:50
One day Ill get around to finally rewriting that thing from the ground up. I've learnt so much since I wrote that tutorial... so many new techniques and tricks that would speed things along. But I cant afford to side track from my current project right now, gotta get this thing done.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 22:02
Quote: "I don't think that making an FPS (programming side, not graphics n storyline side) is as hard as TDK makes it out to be."

Not worth arguing about it. All I can say to back up my statement is "please supply us with a link to a finished FPS written by anyone using DB (Classic or Pro)".

I must admit I've not looked lately, but there was a time when the WIP board was full of them. Where are they now? A couple looked promising after being worked on for a very long time, but I'm pretty certain they were never finished.

Both DBC and DBP are capable of doing an FPS if written carefully, but it is difficult - even more-so for a beginner. If they weren't difficult to do, I'm sure we would have loads to choose from...

TDK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 12:15:29
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 12:15:29