Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How do I make a texture for a simple model (Cube)?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 19:29
OK I know how to load objects from darkmatter and load their textures. I can even alter the textures to a degree and then see what they look like on a model. But these textures are premade and looking at the bitmap they seem to be all over the place.

What I would like to know is how to design the layout of the bitmap so that it fits around an object.

Take for example a dice (die?) it is a simple cube with - well you know what it is. But how do you go about making the texture for it and getting it to wrap around the cube to look like a dice?

Nine lives to choose from and I get stuck with this one!
Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 20:35 Edited at: 31st Aug 2003 20:36
Well you, have to map the bitmap around the model in your 3d modeling program (i.e. the one you built it in). If you don't have, you could try milkshape or gmax to start with. Then in most good 3d modeling programs you can open a texture and paste bits onto the sides of your cube. However if it is a complex model, like in darkmatter, its harder to map a bitmap around it, so you can use an unwrap uvw function which does it automatically. Hence why they are all jumbled up in the bitmap.

Mapping textures to object can be very difficult, and I sugest learning the basics of modeling an object first.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 20:38
So I can't just MAKE OBJECT CUBE and then texture it?
I have to make it in a 3D package is that right?

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 21:03
if you want the texture to be the right

Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 21:33
Ok then thanks. But one last question: If I can't MAKE OBJECT CUBE and then TEXTURE OBJECT what is the point in having the commands in darkbasic?

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 21:54 Edited at: 31st Aug 2003 21:55
Well texture object is they so you can dynamically change the texture in game. And the make object... commands are extremely handly for developing ideas quickly, without having to create the models first.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 22:08
Yeah sorry about that last thread my fingers flew across the keys before my brain realised what they were doing.

Oliver
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 22:21
Glad to help Be warned though, I repeat, good texturing is very hard, mine still looks bad even after doing it for more than a year.
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 22:40
OUCH! A year? I just want to make a set of dice and I don't want to spend a year practicing texturing before I can move on and write a game. Of course when I say practicing I would have to first learn the basics of modeling from scratch!

So with that in mind does anyone know where I can download a copyright free dice?

Flashing Blade
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 23:42
A UV un-wrapper is what you need.

I use lithunwrap which is free, get if from simples site:

http://www.simples-designs.com

Search google to find tutorials on how to use it (I think there may be some tutorials on simples site)
Scraggle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Aug 2003 23:49
Thanks blade I will have a look at it now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:33:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:33:32