Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Bruce - Full Game v1.02

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2009 20:22 Edited at: 12th Dec 2009 13:12
Well in case you missed the newsletter, here\'s a proggie announcement for Bruce, my retro influenced platformer.

It\'s a easy to play but fiendish beat-em-up-platformer, based on the original 8-bit classic Bruce Lee. Collect the lanterns, fight the bad guys, and if you get through it, post your best time here. When you complete the game and enter your name, a code is copied onto your clipboard which I can use to confirm your time, so we can have a leaderboard right here. My best time is 10:10, so get knocking me off the top.

1. 10:10 Van-B
2. 15:53 Leo877
3. 19:47 General Jackson

Game:http://newsfiles.thegamecreators.com/issue82/Bruce.rar
Update v1.01: https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1893679
Update v1.02: https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1903468

Download and unzip the game, then overwrite with Update v1.01, then replace the .exe with the one in Update v1.02. Lot's of little issues fixed.
Sorry! - I will get a new full package done and see if Batvink can fix the download.

YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXGANVEngBM

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
roka
Years of Service
User Offline
i have tested it and the animation is very good , i very like it
good good work

Roka The French Boy
No Time To Code
Years of Service
User Offline
I get the following error message when I try to run:

"Direct X 9.0 installed(589824). Requires DirectX 9.0c (October 2006) or later."

When I run dxdiag on my PC it shows it's using DirectX 9.0c.

Any thoughts or is my PC just screwy? (which is entirely possible)
C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 01:42
COM:MAP(608,250,0,37,)
I played it, thought it was excellent, but found one bug. - I took a screenshot of the level, but you put this code in my clipboard so I can't show you. (The bug basically respawned me closer to the exit of 1 map than it should have, so it's not a major problem.)

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 10:47
Thanks guys,

NoTimeToCode, I've no idea what would cause that, as Bruce uses no plugins or any fancy DLL stuff, it's all standard :/ - do you have issues with other DBPro applications?

Cowbox, Yeah, I noticed it a couple of times in development, but could never figure it out. It flags a player start location when the player runs over - but on the multi-layer firecracker screen it'll usually put the player at the last one for instance. I don't think it'll break the game, but will look into it, see if I can debug that somehow.

There are 1 or 2 little niggles that I should sort out, so will be making a v1.01 very soon, so please feed back your niggles and I'll see what can be done.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 12:44
@ Van B
I liked the game so much I decided to install it (copy it to my HDD and make an icon in my quicklaunch for it) but it's missing a snazy icon for the .exe, so it looks like every other DBP app. Can we can an icon in v1.01?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 12:58
If I could get the icon feature in the editor working, then I was planning on having a red Bruce icon, looked much nicer than the tired old pyramid.

I'll see what I can do - it's probably just my stupidly expecting a standard icon to work - I even tried icon swapping like with RegHack and DBC which changed the icon but killed the application. So if you know how to get it working, I'm all ears, in fact I'm 1 big ear.

The fixes so far are fairly superficial, like not being able to escape back to the menu, so escape will be an extra pause key, and that will take you back to the menu if you press escape while paused, then quit out if your press it in the main menu. I'll probably add in the ability to change keyboard controls too, like a redefine keys option, as laptops these days don't always have both CTRL keys. I don't want to do anything to make the game easier/harder - I want people to feel relieved when they complete it, it's old school and annoying, and it'll stay that way!

No Time To Code
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "NoTimeToCode, I've no idea what would cause that, as Bruce uses no plugins or any fancy DLL stuff, it's all standard :/ - do you have issues with other DBPro applications?"

@Van B
I use DBC and I've never run DBP apps. I've tried it on a different PC running Vista and got a different error about a missing dll. Either way, other users are able to play with no problems so it's my PC or a Microsoft problem not your program. I'll keep trying and if I get it resolved, I'll let you know.
Thanks.
Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 19:03
The video looked great, I'm downloading now. Did you not use Fraps to record the video? It records sound perfectly. The trial only lets you grab 30 seconds at a time but that was never a problem for me. I only just bought it for my newest video.

Also, that icon swap fix only works if you use a small exe+PCK file. A normal exe will not work. I opted for a crappy 16 color icon, it's not that good but waaaay better than that stupid pyramid.

Download the game!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 19:46
Cheers Cash, For some reason Fraps hates my PC, and just won't record at full speed, so even if I did record sound, it would be off. I should really try that again though, figure out whats up.

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 22:10
Wow, very nice! And fun to play. I was hooked from the very first bit of music and the Bruce movie dialog!

If you are making some cosmetic fixes, yes having both control keys work would be good. Also, when using the keys to move up and down the menu choices, the spacebar to select was not very obvious to me, maybe the Enter key as well?

It seems like, in the first few levels anyway, that pressing the up key to jump up to a ladder makes the jump, but then you have to move a little bit side-to-side to continue climbing. That got me killed a bunch, as I thought I would continue climbing with the up arrow.

I don't know if I'll make the leader board, but I'm having lots of fun with it. And I've been reading up on the back issues to see some of how you did all the neat stuff!

Rich

Cash Curtis II
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 22:19
That was fun, and it looked great. The effects, flying bugs, the falling leaves, great. I was confused on the first waterfall, I just kept dying and I didn't know why for a while. Then I got stuck on the left and eventually killed myself to escape. Probably intentional

Download the game!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 22:51
Quote: "For some reason Fraps hates my PC, and just won't record at full speed"

Do you know Fraps locks the frame rate if you select one? I expected recording at 12 fps to be less intensive on the CPU, turned out it was locking the game at 12 fps!

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Nov 2009 22:52
van b...nice game...trying to beat ur score but not doing to good... i have a some feed back...
1 when playing the game first time there extra life but playing it a second time there no life. i would have to exit the program and reopen it to get the life back. is there to reset to have the life respawn when u re-play it with out exit and opening the game again.
2 another thing that happens is there some time i miss jumps and laterns and get stuck. i have no way to get them unless i die and hopefully i respawn near them.
Chris Tate
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 02:11
Nicely done; plenty of action. I like the graphical effects you put in there and the music is cool too.

Looking for DBPRO coders: http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/misc/BidRequests/ShowBidRequest.asp?lngBidRequestId=1277706
No Time To Code
Years of Service
User Offline
@VanB
Although the Microsoft error message was a little confusing, updating my DirectX to the latest version fixed the problem. No time to play tonight but the menu and music is great!
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 11:52
Thanks guys. The dissipating bonus lives bug, I thought I'd fixed that - I'll look into it, as I said I'm gonna release a patch so these issues will be sorted...

...Except your other point Leo. See that's all part of the game, you have to stop sometimes and think about how you'll get those lanterns - although there aren't too many parts where you'd have to kill yourself, it's often necessary. What I would do is look for the coloured sparks coming from the lanterns, the one with the sparks is the one you should go for next, not just because it gives you more points, but because it will tell you which one to go for, handy at that first waterfall. Messing up like that and having to commit Seppuku (or whatever the Chinese equivalent is) was a big part of the original game too - play some more and you'll soon learn the map, then try and learn some tricks to make the enemies collect lanterns for you - very handy on some of the later screens.

I love the music, reminds me a bit of Kung-Fu-Chaos, which is probably a bigger influence on Bruce than I realize, that had the Enter The Dragon theme, and fitted it really well. The music was done by a demo scener from Germany (Frank Scheffel, aka Skyrunner) - he wrote the original tune for a Bruce Lee game that was never finished, then he re-did it for Bruce. Really I don't think there's a more fitting theme tune, it's perfect .

Will hopefully have the patch released before the weekend.

Butter fingers
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2009 16:49 Edited at: 3rd Nov 2009 16:50
That was wicked... totally took me back to sexier version of so many lovely 16bit titles.

There isn't really much to crit here to be honest. The engine is clearly very solid, and the graphics were great, although I did notice a little bit of glitching on some of the background transparencies.. (screen attached).

My only real crit is on the animation... The punch feels too slow, and the number of different seems a little bit too limited for
"water can flow and water can crash, be water my friend"
Bruce!

I'd love to contribute... and would be happy to do some animations for you? I have a huge backcatalogue of stuff that could be used!

Anyway, It's great to see an actual finished game on the Program Announcements board... there are too few in my opinion. Despite my crit, this is top fun. Well done mate.

Oh I forgot, the skeletons on the unspawned dead enemies - so lovely!

I want robotic legs.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2009 01:32
Thanks Butters, really though I have to get on with other things. Of course anyone is free to do what they wish with the source. Think you forgot the attachment though.

Making good progress on the update, now you can redefine keys, sped up the punch, and fixed the missing lives bug.

Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Nov 2009 09:12 Edited at: 6th Nov 2009 09:24
holy smokes... i had made a nice post on Bruce and then realized i was playing a different Bruce altogether. apparently i had another Bruce in my download folder (just found yours in Bruce/Bruce) heh. so, sorry... i'll play your version soon

Jimpo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2009 00:34 Edited at: 7th Nov 2009 00:35
I just can't seem to beat this game

I finally managed to get past the first couple of rooms without dieing, then I got stuck. I can't seem to figure out how to reach the lantern in the red door room with the fireplace and the spiral staircase, and those two jerks running around punching me aren't helping me figure it out! Eventually, I left the and returned to the room with the 3 colored doors, and I tried to hop over the doors and literally got stuck on the right side of the screen. There is no ladder to climb back up and Bruce can't jump high enough to get out.

There's also a small bug: after leaving the instructions screen, it automatically takes you to the options menu.

Also, the game would suffer from random bouts of lag. Really laggy for like 30 seconds, then go back to normal. No idea what causes it.

Otherwise, this is a very well put together game. I especially love the title screen and the music that goes with it

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2009 13:55
Cheers Jimpo, that's the trickiest part to figure out I think. It's easy once you know how though, you can climb on the chandeliers, so on the second fireplace screen, go up the spiral stairs to the second level, then jump across to the left and hold up and left all the way. Bruce will get onto the first screen again, contantly jumping across the chandeliers until you hit the ladder, the go up. Grab that lantern, and then go up again and onto the second screen and jump across the chandeliers and blocks, take your time! - easy to fall here and have to jump across again. Once you get that lantern on the second screen the exit will open up.

Not sure what would cause the slowdown... was thinking about adding a single frame skip when things slow down too much - was it on any particular screens?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2009 20:07
Here's that update...

* Bonus lives now replenish
* Punching is faster and erratic now
* Bruce animations changed a bit
* Keys can be redefined, old school style
* Escape now pauses and quits to the menu

It's still as difficult as ever though.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 07:57 Edited at: 12th Nov 2009 07:58
VANB == upgrade works with the life.....did u speed up the game also.....would be also good to explain how to install the upgrade...it took me a while to figure it out..not a pro but got it to work.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 08:18
I added a frame skip, so if it can't update the screen at 71fps (just the way it worked out) it skips the next sync so it can catch up. Hopefully it won't have to do that too often, but it should keep the speed more consistent.

I forgot to mention how the upgrade works, thanks for reminding me.

The update has a 'Bruce' folder, and inside a new exe plus some replacement files in the appropriate folders. So copy the contents of the Bruce folder into the contents of Bruce on your PC, it'll ask if you want to replace files, select yes, and it should update all it needs.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 13:00
it would not let me fight,the game is rockin, i love it. but when i press the control key nothing happens. mabey i cant fight in the first leval?

DSW
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 13:42
Might be an issue with scan codes - but you should certainly be able to fight. You could redefine those keys though - I quite like the really old school QAOP and space, that's like the 80's version of WASD. If you load it up, go to the controls menu, then at the bottom, change those arrow key controls to whatever you like. I added the redefine option because some laptops have weird key layouts and assignments - glad I did that now. Let me know if redefining doesn't work, although I've no idea what else it could be.

Ohh, you are using the right control key? - the other control key is used for another player by default, I'm sure you'll figure it out once you check the controls menu.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 01:10
ok, right,lol, I was using the right controll key to fight. Man I keep dying at the dragons that shoot fire. this game is realy cool. reminds me of the old side scrolls from when I got a genises.

DSW
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 04:48
This is awesome!
My sister keeps offering to do my chores for me if she can play this for 20 minutes so I REALLY like it

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 12:04
Thanks - glad you and your sister like it.

Be sure to play co-op mode together, really makes the game a lot easier, and it's pretty fun to gang up on Mr.Green too.

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 21:38
Theres coop
I didnt know were gonna try it RIGHT NOW!

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 02:20
was surprise to find a hidden door that leads to extra life.
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 23:16
I tried but I have no clue what to do at the three doors
Any hints\cheats?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 23:32
When you get to the 3 doors, you can only go into the red one, which leads to a room with chandeliers and a fireplace. Go onto the next room and jump across the chandeliers to get the 2 lanters, then continue on to the right. You'll eventually get to another red door, but when you go through it, the wall blocking the green door will be gone, so go through the green door, same again, then the blue door.

The blue door leads to the last section of the game.

Good luck

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 00:26
Ahhh, I see, thanks.
Ima do some kungfu while I wait for an email

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 05:22
I have a bug: when you get to the first water fall and jump for the lantern, and miss it (this is if more than one is playing)
and then your team mate jumps for the lantern and gets it whilst you lay down to avoid being fire-balled, well, when the lantern is busted Bruce is stuck and cant move.

leo877
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 08:52 Edited at: 25th Nov 2009 01:57
van b...was reading ur post...i would like to know were is thhis clipboard so i can post my score..also u said u need icon.... i use a program that i brought form tgc..promotion 5.1...and i made icon, not good but u can see if u can use...made a zip....
also from the tutorial 4..how u make a map.dat file
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 09:04 Edited at: 24th Nov 2009 09:12
GJ, weird... - You mean the player just get's stuck in mid air?

Leo, the clipboard is just a store for when you copy and paste stuff - so once you've entered your name, quit out and press CTRL+C in a post, as the clipboard should have your score code copied to it. Just paste in this thread, I'll collect all the times and have a table in the first post.
The map.dat file is created using the map editor, I think that in issue 4 it would be the start of the editor at least, so it should be a case of pressing 'S' to save the map changes.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 16:32
@ Van B
Yeh if its the same map I'm thinking of I think I had the same problem as GJ, I just forgot to mention it. You lie Bruce down onto the floor that would disappear, while the other player gets the lantern. Then when the floor disappears you'd expect Bruce to fall down onto the floor directly below it, but he kinda gets half stuck in the wall and half in mid air. :S

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 16:43
Exactly

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 17:56
Thanks Leo, I didn't use your icon in the end, as I always had a Bruce silhouette in mind, but your icon helped me figure out how to get an icon in place. (64x64xTrueColour+Alpha if anyone is interested).

I fixed that laying down forever bug - damn stupid oversight, I had no condition for when there's no ground and the player isn't moving. So it has that bug fixed, changed the ESC key in the menus so it returns you to the main menu before quiting, and now it has an icon!. Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 02:01
Cool, thanks!
and I finally beat it earlier today!
35:22
Not too bad I guess

I would buy this if you put it up for sale, I love it so much!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 09:54
Well done General!, I think your only the 3rd person to complete it .

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 19:47
Yay! I beat it again!
This time it was like 43 minutes though.
Mostly because my sister was playing and she kept jumping on my head

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 21:17
It's definitely a lot easier to do if you put the other players to user-controlled and just don't use them.

But I still can't do that part where you apparently jump over the chandeliers he just keeps missing them because he doesn't jump properly when you're climbing something.

Halp plox?

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2009 01:42
Well you might kick yourself, but all you have to do is hold left and up after jumping towards the first chandelier. Climb up the first spiral stair, then run left and jump up, hold that, then climb up the ladder. Take your time on the screen to the right after getting to the attic, those jumps are tricky.

C0wbox
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2009 12:18
!

I'll have another go at some point, thanks.

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 26th Nov 2009 18:16
This is the only game I ever play anymore

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 00:29
Yay! just beat it in 24:28!

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 02:13
Careful now, I'll have to make it more difficult at this rate .

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 13:46:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 13:46:26