Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Amos vs Dark Basic

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Seems everyone is confused as to who actually wrote the original AMOS and AMOS Pro for Amiga all those years ago. The answer is NOT Lee Bamber. He was just a very close beta tester. The author was actually a french dude named Francois Lionet. I still have both AMOS and AMOS Pro for Amiga. In fact I still have my A1200 fully towered and operational sitting in front of me as I type. I also have almost all the software available for Amiga on around 200 CD's. It doesn't get used much now though. Has anyone else been keeping this old beast alive??? Send me a mail at rraatt1@hotmail.com if you need ANY Amiga stuff.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 13:49
amigas rule, i love these machines. unfortunatley, when i got the pc, my bother who had moved out wanted to take the amiga. i think he sold it

www.shockforge.com ShockForge Software
www.havochost.com Unlim bandwdith, unlim space, you.havochost.com, you.s8i.com, visit site for more details.
...::::ShockForge::::...
rraatt
Years of Service
User Offline
Have you got the WinUAE Amiga emulator? I tend to use that more now than the real thing.

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 14:59
hmm, not anymore. but i used to have both winUAE and winFELLOW.

www.havochost.com Unlim bandwdith, unlim space, you.havochost.com, you.s8i.com, visit site for more details.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 19:56
I still have my first A500+ in realatively working order, i mean it works - but looks like something from some mad scientists office with the cover open, keyboard to the side HDD out of cover and attachs precariously and such
Also still have my trust A4100 - that baby is 40Mb Core + 160Mhz PowerProcessor, with my twin Vid Toaster 6's ... serious peice of kit. Recently bought Amiga OS 3.6 for it, can support Win9x/WinNT/WinXP/MacOS programs (all at the same time using Work Environments) best OS on the planet i reckon
Also love the new graphics

Yet to find a good Amiga Environment Emulator for the PC thou, most can't handle everything for some reason

Anata aru kowagaru no watashi!
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 20:14
hmm, could i shove amiga OS on my 120mhz puter? it sounds quite kool, i'll have to find info on it (hope its as good as workbench )

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 20:17
Workbench same version is builtin - the companies that made them merged to be able to continue... pitty that in a years time they'll break up for good unless a new Amiga hits the market

if you get it... i'd suggest you checkout AmigaC++ which is also there but you have to access through the Shell.
I'm still trying to figure out alot of it, but its been developed so you can actually recode AmigaOS yourself (mainly because they're future looks bleak)

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2002 20:33
untill the AmigaONE comes out

theyve been developing that for ages now, it has to be coming out soon...

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2002 01:20
i thought it was dubbed "Alpha" ... but yeah they've been developing that for what 5-6years now. Gotta come out soon no?

Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2002 03:45
Not another vs. post!

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
Puffy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2002 11:27
they always get deleted

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ OC to 3Ghz/1.5gigs ram/128mb ti4200/120gigs hd/19" monitor/Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum EX/2.5mbs Sat Con... I joined in!
Mirthin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2002 12:24
You hope!

This has "Fiasco" written all over it.
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Nov 2002 14:29
i dunno about it being called alpha.

hmmm, guess i'll have to go and visit the amiga site now and see the latest n00z. wasnt it a 600mhz IBM processor driving it? that'd be kool since everyone has seen what they did with a crappy 12mhz processor!

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 03:24
yeah but think about it the 68k processor is far superior to the x86 ... thought ya funny thing about it is the 68k was a test processor from AMD, which was taken over by Motorola
I think the latest news is from March announcing AmigaOS 3.6

i'm still shocked at what can be done on those old machines, i mean take my A500+ for example.
It currently runs the factory default 68080 27Mhz processor, with 1.5Mbyte RamChip + 512kb upgrade board.
AGA Update Board (gives its A1200+ graphics software compatibility but no extra speed) and Sound which is factory standard and it has a... 150Mbyte SCSI HDD + a Squirel 4x CDRom
Connected up to an almost Ancient Portable Sony (anyone remember those old 12" sets with power/volume on one knob, 6 channel buttons which the ends came off for you to tune in and was in a very sporting Creme with Silver handle - probably not but thats what its hooked upto lol)
Can play Quake, 320x240x24bpp @ 45fps ... YES i said 45!!

Mwhahaa, and just think 68k processors are 32bit MISC, which also allows for very complex operations
Something i've always noticed about x86 processors it takes them a while to start doing anything, probably the motherboard design - but you have to like poke it with a stick to wake it up, whereas good ol' 68k has done it before you even ask

Ahh well ... if Amiga ends up dropping the 68k then it'll be a grand old shame - but good to know that without that and ARM from Acorn there'd be no Gecko processor and probably a much more inferor GameCube

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 17:43
I never had an Amiga, I was an Atari man .

I hated STOS, the ST equivalent of Amos, it really sucked, line numbers and it was slow. I used to check out Amiga mags and drool over Amos, it looked so much better than STOS. Then I discovered the joys of GFA Basic and Sprite Works, I keep meaning to look up the guy who made Sprite Works, that guy had ambition.

Van-B
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 18:49
Amiga seem to be very vague about when they're going to release their new Amiga computers - they seem to be more interested in writing PocketPC games.

If they do release anything, they're going to advertise heavily, and probably have subsidise a good part of the machine's cost to make people want to buy it - Apple computers seem to be very good but wildley over-priced.

In addition, they're going to have to get computers (and games) into stores like Dixons/Curries as well.

That's if they're going to release worldwide - it might just be an American thing.

Yes, I really am THAT good...
Megaman X
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 19:03
Atari yeah, I've just got some roms for Stella But it's not the same feeling, Atari's Joystick was fundamental for those games I wish I could find an Atari console to buy or a Nitendo 8 bits... All the ones I've found to sell does not have the pad or have something broken

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
-- Rogue
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 20:14
well try to remember that the whole Amiga companies budget is pretty similar to my pay per year (which either tells you is almost nothing or i'm wildly overpaid your choice )

they play down the new Amiga angle because the next machine will allow Amiga to survive or finally kill it, so its gonna have to be some outstanding peice of kit - you can understand that they don't want to rush anything.
My friend used to have an Atari, he was the music man and i was the coder with my Amiga - i always liked the cross compatibility those platforms posses'd, thou your right STOS sucked donkies it was so bad

Kinda cool to know that the 68k baby is what was put in the NES,SNES,Master System,Mega Drive and Mega32x,
god couldn't be a more versitile chip

they produce the PocketPC games in the same way atari also still produce games, as afront for thier actual business - only difference is Amiga's is still determined to make a new machine ... Atari have just decided to fall and slup in thier nitch as game developers, back to thier roots i suppose

I can tell you this much, if a new machine is finally finished and retailed - it will be available within the UK and Germany first, simply because those countries are still pining the most for the machine ... Gotta say when Acorn disappeared and then Atari - i didn't really notice nor care much, but when Amiga was goin' down and the finally bought out by Gateway in '96 - well i dunno, noticed it more. Probably because the other machines just snuck off whilst no one was lookin' whereas Amiga was dragged kicking and screaming from the scene hahaa
Even now refusing to just die! Now thats determination for a computer

Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 22:50
hmm, amiga was so kool when it was british, but then when epson bought it, it went down hill

the brits actually owned the computer industry in the beginning, then crappy intel and MS (eeuucckkk), began making stuff. I mean i like AMD (i think theyre from america), but i dont like intel and I HATE MS. Mainly because gay bill stole windows 1 off a 'friend'.

Wasnt it some weird (unexpected) company that made the first gui. I think it might of been xerox.

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Nov 2002 23:54
The main problem was that we could never crack the American market. In addition Acorn machines, which whilst were very powerful, were overpriced (well, the A30xx series upwards were anyway).

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2002 01:11
Erm... Gateway bought Amiga from Commodore, the actual design was German (cause thats where Amiga themselves started and we're bought out by Commodore back in i think '85 might have been '86)
At no point did Epson own anyone, they're a printing company - expanded into computer Printers, Scanners and other imaging devices. They are infact own themselves by a conglomorate company, but i can't remember who.

IBM Designed the 8088 processor which is what even the current Xeon and Optiron processors are based upon ...
i can't remember how it all began exactly if they both simply bought the design to make or if AMD broke away from Intel, but however it happen'd - they've both been around since the very first 8088 chip, and if i remember it was intel that redesigned it and named it 8086 ... however as IBM were basically the ONLY computer developers at the time, design - building - distribution for the western business world (and quite a bit of the easten in the mid-80s) different versions of the processors were used depending on the situation. AMD kept up quite well with intel who developed newer and faster chips right up until Pentium... if anyone remembers the earli 90s when Intel came out with pentium. They released this processor which ran at half the speed of the fastest 486 processor (Dx4 120)... worked on full 32bit floating point processing unit, whereas the 486 still was a 16/32bit cross breed with the Maths Coprocessor built in as a seperate layer.
Intel had fully intergrated the Maths Coprocessor, now it was a part of the processor.

AMD were unsure on what the chip actually had, so making a copy kinda was killing them - as they released the K5 range, a bunch of overdriven and enevitably flawed 486 processors. Noticing this Nitch in the market all the others thought they could now get in without Intel/AMD being the dominating processors, they thought that AMD was going down hard leaving a place for the cheap manufacturers!
IBM bought a chip designer from sweeden called Cyrix, NexGen (probably THE worst chips in the world ever) tried thier hand) WinIDP also attempted.
However as everyone seemed to have the idea similar to AMD they also all kinda died ... Intel for almost 7years dominated the power processor market, making quicker and quicker processors on this format - and thought they had done it, when Pentium2 was released (a slightly less bugged version of PentiumPro)

quite surprisingly however to the whole community AMD kept releasing budget processors, or known inferior power and design - which is probably why i '97 it came as the largest shock especially to Intel when AMD released thier own version of the Pentium2 called Althon ... for less speed it was quicker, did more complex things, had EVERYTHING the Pentium2 had - and was cheaper
Not being phazed Intel released thier secret weapons,
Pentium3 and Celeron ... However without changing the chip design, AMD release newer and new Althons which kept up Mhz for Mhz speedwise - and in '99 released the Duron Range which was a cut down Althon similar to the Celeron, only rather than cutting the creation accuracy as well as the Cache, they simply sliced the Cache in half making it FAR quicker as well as actually adding the new SSL from Pentium3

ya'll know what is going on today ... Pentium5 (Northridge) vs Althon2 (Candyland) is about to begin, and it is quite obvious that Intel has lost because they refuse to drop thier prices, even with the backup of Microsoft if their processors in the X-Box.

As far as Windows goes ... 1.0 was a ripp off of XTree Gold, which everyone just kept using XTree Gold as well erm it was free hahaa
Windows 2.0 (the ledgendary OS!) if you've ever used it you'll notice right away that it is MacOS 1.0 - not even the colours were any different, i mean how stupid was that!
That aside you still needed to be a freaking genius to use the blasted thing hahaa
Finally after the little DR-DOS vs MS-DOS war (anyone remember DR Dos, i loved that OS ), they released Windows 3.1 (3.0 was fatally flawed which is why not many people saw it only busniesses)
had quite a nice graphical front, and was relatively easy to use ... was still no Workbench thou hehee
Windows was the only GUIOS on the IBM Computer for almost 12years, i mean no wonder they gained a monopoly
it wasn't until the Internet got a little more cheaper and popular in the earli 90s that Unix the community OS was developed.

have to agree... Acrons with thier RISC ARM processors were the most powerful around, but really just too expensive to be worth it. And the speed of them wasn't greatly that over the Amiga anyways hahaa

think the main problem with the US market is... well they're idiots - if its something new, even if it is OBVIOUSLY better than what they already have they'll stick with what they know. Happens all the time with games, as they're the biggest contributers to developers pockets - its what is popular there which gets developed...
I mean Oni was probably one of the most Innovative games, just as Black&White was - however they we're both outsold by bloody crap games with no thought behind gameplay.
Actually kinda suprised that MGS did that well there!
MGS2 made a flop, did pretty well everywhere else thou.
Ever seen a UK computer game purchaser, god its funny, they have money and they know exactly what titles are there, they will just walk in - grab what they want and buy it. Here i've noticed in my local EB people come in, walk around like thier lost not even looking at the games and aimlessly walk out ... seems insane.
Guess it helps them that the staff are bloody annoyingly friendly, comming upto you
- "hello can i help you?"
- "erm no thanks i know what i want"
- "are you sure, we have specials on..."
which will go on for hours, ending up with someone going to emergency room
whereas in the UK the staff are like... they'll look towards you, and thats about all the help you're getting
ask where something is and its like... "look its over in that section of the shop, somewhere! just look"
and if you do get one who thinks of being helpful, they'll be like
- "can i help you?"
- "nope"
and he'll (usually is a guy) will just stand around looking board, perhaps mess about with a box or something - try to look like he's working

had to say all of that... went to get a new game at lunch

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2002 11:12
I hope the processor the Amiga uses is at least as powerful (which cant be that hard) as the current Intel/AMD processors.

Amiga are really going to have an uphill struggle trying to get people educated about their computers.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2002 17:02
If the new amiga is as powerful as the latest AMD chips then it'd knock the PC out of the water as far as performance goes. The Amiga could churn out hundreds of sprites and maintain a frame rate of 50 on a 7mhz processor!. Now by my calculations, that means 200 sprites on my 1.1ghz athlon should run at about 7857fps, funny how I'd only get about 200fps. Ok I'm probably exagerating but I'm sure you get my point, PC's are slow machines in comparison to even 16-bits, in relation to processing power that is. It's the exact same reason why you get more power from a mac with the same processing speeds - streamlined OS and standard components are things the PC never had. A new computer might freshen up the industry a bit, especially it the price is right and the support is there. People must be ready for something different by now.

Van-B
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2002 19:00
Indeed - the PC architecture is so poor that its needs a total re-designed really.

Anyone know when the Amiga will be released (assuming it will be) ?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2002 20:58
yeah - March 14th 2000
that was the official release date ... erm, still waiting hahaa

I'm gonna continue to look forward to the Alpha - whenever its released.
Hey did anyone know that 2 of NASA launch pads still use Amigas for all thier calculations?

I have an interesting idea, but i think i'm gonna need to build a new Amiga machine to do it ... (^_^)
Gonna scout out the retail sites tonight when i get home see what i can get for the job.

Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
I have dug through every bit of my AMOS documentation, and Francois Lionet thanks almost everyone from the doc writer to the girl who made coffee... I have never seen the name Lee Bamber in there!

I actually only registered on this forum, because this thread struck me as being seriously problematic when it comes to facts...

The Amiga was designed and developed as a console by the US company Hi-Toro(Later renamed itself Amiga)). To pay for the development of the Amiga, they designed and produced peripherals for other consoles... When the money ran out, both Atari and Commodore was interested, and by virtue of putting down the money up front, Commodore bought the company, changed the name to Commodore-Amiga inc. and finalized the design for the Amiga... Every Amiga since A1000 was designed in Germany, because Commodores german designers were masters at cutting costs...

AmigaDOS was based on Tripos, and rewritten and further developed by a company named Metacomco...

>yeah but think about it the 68k processor is far superior
>to the x86...

Agreed! For the time it was cheap and powerful, but had serious flaws which would haunt every other version of the 68k line...

>thought ya funny thing about it is the 68k was a test
>processor from AMD, which was taken over by Motorola...

Ahem... Havent been able to find anything on this, but according to all sources I could find, it was a completely homegrown Motorola project.

>i'm still shocked at what can be done on those old
>machines, i mean take my A500+ for example.

Agreed... Still use my own Amigas!

>It currently runs the factory default 68080 27Mhz
>processor

No! Motorola never made such a chip, and the a500+ never came with a 27MHz chip... Commodore was in fact ridiculed for releasing an upgraded A500 without increasing the processer speed.

>Mwhahaa, and just think 68k processors are 32bit MISC, >which also allows for very complex operations

No, it's a 32bit internal/16bit data/24bit address CISC processor...

>Kinda cool to know that the 68k baby is what was put in
>the NES,SNES,Master System,Mega Drive and Mega32x,
>god couldn't be a more versitile chip

Actually the NES/Famicom used a modified 8 bit MOS 6502 chip, somewhat similar to the ones used in the Commodore 64. The SNES used a 16bit native/8bit emulation 6502 compatible WDC 65c816 chip similar to the one in Apple II. Master System used a Zilog z80 processor. In reality the Megadrive and mega32x are the only ones using an actual Motorola 68k chip.

>hmm, amiga was so kool when it was british, but then when >epson bought it, it went down hill

It was never british and Epson never bought it!

>Erm... Gateway bought Amiga from Commodore,

No. Commodore Business Machines went bankrupt in april 1994, and the final liquidation was performed almost a year later, where German PC producer ESCOM bought majority of the assets, mainly the name, 8/16/32bit designs, patents and intellectual property and software associated. ESCOM set up a subsidiary named Commodore and moved the name and 8bit assets into this company together with their stores in holland which were now named Commodore. ESCOM had decided to rebuild themselves as Commodore and had decided to use Holland as a test market. Then after about a year ESCOM itself went into liquidation, and Gateway 2000 (Now just named Gateway) bought the AMIGA name, 16/32bit designs, patents and intellectual property and software associated. The management of the dutch subsidiary planned and executed a management buyout and signed contracts with Fujitsu and ICL, but after another 6 months, they also went into liquidation and was bought by dutch computermanufacturer Tulip Computers which are the current owners of the name and 8bit assets.

>the actual design was German (cause thats where Amiga
>themselves started and we're bought out by Commodore back
>in i think '85 might have been '86)

No... See above!

>IBM Designed the 8088 processor which is what even the
>current Xeon and Optiron processors are based upon ...

No, Intel did that themselves... When it came to Integrated microcontrollers, IBM had nothing that could touch Intel.
Intels had signed crosslicensing agreement with virtually all semiconductor companies since 1975, such as Harris, Fairchild, Advanced Micro Devices, Texas Instruments, national and others...

>i can't remember how it all began exactly if they both >simply bought the design to make or if AMD broke away from >Intel

AMD was started in 1969 by employees from Fairchild Semiconductor group,

>but however it happen'd - they've both been around since
>the very first 8088 chip,

And longer even... from before the first microprocessor!

>and if i remember it was intel that redesigned it and
>named it 8086 ... however as IBM were basically the ONLY
>computer developers at the time, design - building -
>distribution for the western business world (and quite a
>bit of the easten in the mid-80s) different versions of
>the processors were used depending on the situation.

Not true... If You search through the history of computing, You will find litterally tens of companies with semiconductor fabs both in the US and abroad in the late 70's.

>AMD kept up quite well with intel who developed newer and >faster chips right up until Pentium...

They didn't have to keep up since they had signed cross licensing agreements on all 8/16bit products... They just corrected intels errors and started production...

> if anyone remembers the earli 90s when Intel came out
>with pentium. They released this processor which ran at >half the speed of the fastest 486 processor (Dx4 120)...
>worked on full 32bit floating point processing unit, >whereas the 486 still was a 16/32bit cross breed with the
>Maths Coprocessor built in as a seperate layer.

The Pentium era marks the time decided to withdraw from the crosslicensing deals in order to make more money and not just hand over their technology to the competition.

>AMD were unsure on what the chip actually had, so making a
>copy kinda was killing them

No, the original K5 had cost next to nothing and was comparable to the Pentium... However the company NexGen had developed a CPU named NX586 which was roughly 25 percent faster than the pentium... The only problem was that NexGen was fables and was running out of cash fast, so AMD bought them and the NX586 became the K5 that we know...

>IBM bought a chip designer from sweeden called Cyrix, >NexGen (probably THE worst chips in the world ever) tried >thier hand) WinIDP also attempted.

No, Cyrix was always a Texas, USA company and never owned by IBM... However, it did sign crosslicensing agreements with IBM and Intel just like the other fabless semiconductor companies(see list above).

>which is probably why i '97 it came as the largest shock >especially to Intel when AMD released thier own version of >the Pentium2 called Althon

AMD had done what they knew worked... They didn't want to spend money on research and development when they could buy the Athlon design from DEC.

>Not being phazed Intel released thier secret weapons,
>Pentium3 and Celeron

Actually the P3 and Celeron came first...

>ya'll know what is going on today ... Pentium5
>(Northridge) vs Althon2 (Candyland) is about to begin, and
>it is quite obvious that Intel has lost because they
>refuse to drop thier prices, even with the backup of
>Microsoft if their processors in the X-Box.

No... Intel produce a better product, even though AMD's are faster clockcycle for clockcycle...

>As far as Windows goes ... 1.0 was a ripp off of XTree
>Gold, which everyone just kept using XTree Gold as well
>erm it was free hahaa

Actually, according to a memo from Bill Gates himself presented in the DR-DOS case a few years ago, it was based on the Apple GUI!

>Windows 2.0 (the ledgendary OS!) if you've ever used it
>you'll notice right away that it is MacOS 1.0 - not even
>the colours were any different, i mean how stupid was
>that!

They are not graphically alike, but when You only have 2 colours available, it was dificult to make the colours different from the ones used in the mac

>That aside you still needed to be a freaking genius to use
>the blasted thing hahaa

Yes, I never understood why they even released the bloody thing...

>Windows was the only GUIOS on the IBM Computer for almost >12years, i mean no wonder they gained a monopoly
>it wasn't until the Internet got a little more cheaper and >popular in the earli 90s that Unix the community OS was >developed.

Ahem... OS/2, UNIX, GEM etc... There were several GUI's, and MIcrosoft even released one for Xenix, their own Unix derivate...

UNIX started development in 1969, and had a GUI in the middle of the 80's...

>I hope the processor the Amiga uses is at least as
>powerful (which cant be that hard) as the current
>Intel/AMD processors.

The only real choices are x86, POWER (either PowerPC or Power4/5) or ULTRASPARC...

>Hey did anyone know that 2 of NASA launch pads still use >Amigas for all thier calculations?

Actually they have 5 Amigas handling telemetry data from satelites... Nothing to do with their launch pads I am afraid.

Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry Raven... Although it may look like I am 'out to get You', I am not... I just deal with much of this in real life, and I would just like to clear up a few common misunderstandings!

Andy

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 00:56
There is also the StrongARM processor - although I think Intel may try to get rid of that.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 02:59
Intel bought up all the ARM technology before they released Pentium3, there was a big row over who was gonna actually get it in the end AMD or Intel...

The processor i have in my A500+ is a 68080 27Mhz processor, i've not changed it from purchase back in '90 so if this is different from factory default then someone else would have had to have put it in there - but i doubt it very much.
i forgot about the layers of the 68k processor, but still the design is far superior to the x86 series ... i don't care about it being shaped up to the current top end intel/amd processors the operations it does for the speed is remarkable. There maybe a few quirks inside the chip, but no chip is perfect i mean take out beloved x86 - its still based upon the same Core as even the oldest chip.

The 8088 came before the 8086, because it was 8086 was intels version of it ... and everyone else was based upon intels.

68000 was from AMD they developed them first and later designs we're taken over by Motorolla, i'm not one to care whats in text books of news because alot of these idiots aren't sure about the facts ... if you have a problem believing this then open up your Amiga that uses a 68000 chip - say A1000 and look at the stamp on it. AMD's logo, the same today as it was on thier very first chips
They ended up designing the original K1 Ramchips aswell, which held about 256kb of 32bit Memory capable of the same access units in as EDO memory going out.
Alot of the technology for the Amigas was basically stolen adapted into a single system and tada what we all use
However I have to say I kinda wish they made Sound Cards for the PC ... because it might just be me but the MIDI Synthesiser was outstanding no?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 03:11
Oh and on the GUIOS front - OS/2 and OS/2 Warp we're mistakes that should never have seen the light of day and quite frankly alot of the purchased copies were thrown away in favour of Windows and Dos.
Unix wasn't really worth mentioning because it was really well crap until the community got its grubby little hands on it, and as you've noted also no GUI for a good while -even then was very limited, not very user friendly and in all just too much hassel for most people to bother with.
I remember there being 5 other experiement OS's, but to be honest none ever really lived upto Microsofts - and never public access, as I remember the only OS you could ever really buy anywhere in the UK for the PC was MS-DOS and DR-DOS and the only GUI one was really Windows 3.1
the only reason i got to use the others was because my dad was someone important in the industry (don't ask em what as i can't remember... and i doubt he'd appreciate a call at i think 1am just to find out )

you ever use Windows 1.0 and MacOS? ... MacOS for Windows 2.0 yeah but 1.0 was DEFINATLY XTree Gold, i mean i liked XTree Gold ... but i doubt anyone would pay for something they could get free, especially everything so expensive back then - DOS 6.22 was £45 when it came out, might not sound alot now but it was

i'm gonna have to see if i can fish out the 5 1/4 with Windows on them ... and prey it still works hehee, try to get a screenshot, or something of it
Hopefully an old OS like that should be easi to hack to get one.

Andy
Years of Service
User Offline
>The processor i have in my A500+ is a 68080 27Mhz
>processor, i've not changed it from purchase back in '90
>so if this is different from factory default then someone
>else would have had to have put it in there - but i doubt
>it very much.

Except that the A500+ came with a stock Motorola 68000 7.14MHz CPU. Philips Semiconductor made adaptations of the 68k line named 68070, but they were horrifficly slow and lacked features.

>i forgot about the layers of the 68k processor, but still
>the design is far superior to the x86 series

Yes, at the time it was a wonderful processor, but the x86 at the time were more stringent to intel guidelines which made sure that the software could be used on newer x86 series CPUs. When Motorola switched from 32bit internal/16bit data to 32bit/32bit, hell broke loose becausethe software stopped working... However, the Motorola 88k series(RISC) was lagely based on the 68k series, and that was truely awsome!

>68000 was from AMD they developed them first and later
>designs we're taken over by Motorolla, i'm not one to care
>whats in text books of news because alot of these idiots
>aren't sure about the facts...

I am using info from several sources, and many people have spend 10-15 years of their lives finding out every little detail about the 68k series/coldfire... The 68000 was developed as a sucessor to Motorolas 6800 series.

>if you have a problem believing this then open up your
>Amiga that uses a 68000 chip - say A1000 and look at the

I don't have to
>The 8088 came before the 8086, because it was 8086 was
>intels version of it ... and everyone else was based upon
>intels.

Yes, that's logical since the 6 as last cipher denotes a chip with 16bit properties...

>68000 was from AMD they developed them first and later
>designs we're taken over by Motorolla, i'm not one to care >whats in text books of news because alot of these idiots >aren't sure about the facts ...

Some of the idiots You are talking about have spent 10-15 years on finding out every bit of information about the 68k series/coldfire that can be found. The 68000 was a followup to Motorolas 6800 series.

>if you have a problem believing this then open up your >Amiga that uses a 68000 chip - say A1000 and look at the

I did... My A500 1.2 says MC68000 Motorola.
As it happens, Motorola and AMD also had a cross licensing agreement, so it would have been perfectly logical for Commodore to use the AMD chips if they were less expensive or Motorola couldn't deliver... When AMD had crosslicensing agreements with Intel, they supplied many of Intels low-end chips which were then marked with the intel logo.

>Alot of the technology for the Amigas was basically stolen
>adapted into a single system and tada what we all use

Why should commodore pay $27 million for stolen technology?

>Oh and on the GUIOS front - OS/2 and OS/2 Warp we're
>mistakes that should never have seen the light of day and
>quite frankly alot of the purchased copies were thrown
>away in favour of Windows and Dos.

Why? OS/2 was and is a wonderful environment, much more robust than any Windows system, and even more logical to use. Many may indeed have thrown it out, but just because it did require a fast system to run efficiently.

>Unix wasn't really worth mentioning because it was really >well crap until the community got its grubby little hands >on it,

What are You talking about? Unix has been in use by researchers, universities, public/private industry etc. since 1971 as a shell based OS.

It was community built, so the community got it's hands on it back in 1970!

>and as you've noted also no GUI for a good while

Xerox didn't invent the GUI before the mid/end of the 70s!

> -even
>then was very limited, not very user friendly and in all
>just too much hassel for most people to bother with.

I am beginning to wonder what world You live in... Did You ever use the Island productivity suite? That was a killer application for Unix with a GUI!

Andy

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 11:34
Van-B wipes a tiny tear from his nostalgic eye - This is just like old times .

One thing about Unix though - it's used in colleges and businesses ok, that doesn't make it a sensible home OS. In my opinion the Mac OS is the most user friendly.

Van-B
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 12:21
Its a shame that they can't get it out to potential users - as I said about the (possible) new Amiga; it needs to be in places like Dixons, Curry's where people can actually see it.

HippyGoth
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 14:32
Someone give me a 6510A (running at a violently fast 1mhz) and a C64.....

Eddie.
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 15:30
Did anyone play my Walker game on the C64 - it was 'released' by Binary Zone PD. This was around 10 years ago...

DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 16:06
I love Amigas! I had an A600 and played Choas Engine 1 + 2. Does anyone have these games working on a PC? Love to play them again, completed Choas Engine 1 twice and didn't get too far, round about level 3 in Chaos Engine 2. Also liked playing Lord of the Rings and Project X.

Guardian of Hell
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 16:17
I would'nt bother with an Amiga emulator (sorry amiga fans, but your emulators stink). Get yourself a copy of the ST emulator STella, and download your fave games for that - that's what I do, and EVERY game I've tried (I've tried a lot) work perfectly, including chaos engine, Xenon2, Cadaver, Captive, etc etc.

I'd take a trip to The Little Green Desktop (www.atari.st). The first person to notice the DB connection with TLGD wins a freshly peeled banana.

Van-B
MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 16:56
The Atari ST was probably the only machine that I didn't try to program on - my Dad has a 1040, and I always felt that next to an Amiga, the ST was rather basic and lacking.

When the Falcon came out, I tried to get one - didn't have much luck though...

MrTAToad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2002 17:20
I like BeOS, and was going to get it until I found that Be went bust...

TheCyborg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 00:42
I also played chaos engine 2. Had about 200 games for my A500. Then it got virus (or something).

My favorites were:
Jumpin Jackson
Chuck Rock

If anyone got one of these working for PC then please tell me.

TheCyborg Development.
http://TheCyborg.Amok.dk
The Ultimate Source To DarkBASIC Programming.
DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 11:38
Chuck Rock?? I had Chuck Rock 2: Son of Chuck!
Anyone used to play the Lord of the Rings? Made by Interplay/Electronic Arts.
Loved used to have Knightmare. That was total rubbish.

Guardian of Hell
DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 11:40
Anyone got Chaos Engine 1 and 2 working on a PC somewhere?
Love to have these games on PC, my mum loved playing Chaos Engine 1, hoping to write something like in in DB.

Guardian of Hell
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 11:50
I have, but only on an ST emulator.

Van-B
DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 12:06
Could you send the emulator to me?

Guardian of Hell
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 13:43
No probs, but not for ages, I'm at work now.

Check out the www.atari.st - it's a great ST emulation site. Here's a few links:

STeem emulator download page:
http://www.blimey.strayduck.com/download.htm

Chaos Engine game:
http://atari.krang.net/?page=games&sub=game&l=c&offset=60

Now, on the STeem emulator page you must download a TOS rom, STeem wont run without it.

Also, that page with the games is about the best ST rom page available.

Van-B
DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 14:11
Van B: when you get the chance, e-mail the emulator to me at craigr1984@yahoo.co.uk. Question- does it fit onto a floppy?

My computer system: AMD Duron 1.3GHz, 256MB RAM, Trident 3D Blade, Savage Sound, 40GB Hard drive.
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 14:29
I think the emulator and Tos rom would, but the game would probably have to go on another disk.

I'll email it later.

Van-B
DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 17:11
Thanks very much! My mum will be pleased. Could you make sure that it's Virus Scanned as I don't have it on my PC upstairs, the one with the internet does so i'll copy the program from there.

My computer system: AMD Duron 1.3GHz, 256MB RAM, Trident 3D Blade, Savage Sound, 40GB Hard drive.
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2002 23:41
i liked those knightmare games, and what was the other one abandoned dark? or something
was so crap at them it wasn't even funny... be like 5steps forward, dead of starvation hahaa

someone should make one of them be cool to be really bad at games again, most are way to easi now or made hard by having crap framerates

DarkSith
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2002 12:06
Great News!

The Chaos Engine is being re-made for the GameBoy Advance!
visit http://www.bitmap-brothers.com for more info.
I've also asked them whether they'll consider bringing it out on other formats.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 17:34:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 17:34:41