Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

PureGDK / PureBasic -Portable Mode, and PureGDK

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Mistrel,

I am interested in trying PB 4.4b5.
To do so, I tried to running 4.31 with the -Portable flag, so that I could keep my preferences isolated when I install the new beta.

Unfortunately, I found that PureGDK does not work when in -Portable mode (I get a compiler error to the effect that DB Core not found, or something like that).

I want to be sure that if I install multiple versions, that I don't have problems with them conflicting, hence why I am trying to get -Portable mode to work.

Other than pureGDK, everything else was working as expected in -Portable mode.

Do you have any advice how I can run both the current stable PB, as well as the new beta, keep them isolated as -Portable does, and still use PureGDK?

Thanks,
Dave
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Nov 2009 07:59 Edited at: 5th Nov 2009 08:01
Whether it's portable or not make *sure* that you retain the tool entries that PureGDK installed. You can view these from the IDE by going to Tools -> Configure Tools.

PureGDK uses the tools:

PureGDK_PCB
PureGDK_PCE
PureGDK_PCU
PureGDK_PCK
PureGDK_PEC
Purge PureGDK Temp

If these tools aren't being executed then the PureGDK compiler can't do its job during compilation.

I've never used the portable flag so I don't know where you need to copy your Tools.pref file so that it gets loaded.

aonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the feedback Mistrel

I will check if these tools are loading in my portable mode, and if not, I will check if I can copy them locally and will let you know what I find.

I have to apologize also, this is I think my third oddball question for you within a week.
I am probably making you a bit crazy by now.

regards,
Dave
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Your questions are fine. If you're unfamiliar with how the IDE works I wouldn't expect you to know about these tools.

A future version of PureGDK will eventually do away with them entirely. But for now it's a necessary evil.

aonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks Mistrel,

And indeed, as I have mentioned elsewhere on this board, I have only been making serious effort to learn coding for about a year, with purebasic and puregdk.

I am getting to a point that I can confidently write my own apps, within limits of my current skillset of course, but I am by no means an expert yet.

I learn as I encounter, and find my way past problems.

And I do definately appreciate you quick answers and patience.

regards,
Dave
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
No problem. I'm happy to help.

aonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Great News.

I found Tools.pref in my Documents and Settings\Default User\Application Data\PureBasic folder.

After copying this file to my main PureBasic folder, I was able to run in portable mode, and successfully compile my recent pureGDK project.

Your advice turned out to be exactly what I needed.

Thanks Again,
Dave
AndyUK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 02:56 Edited at: 13th Nov 2009 03:04
Any chance of a step by step aonyn? I want to use the new 4.4b6 with puregdk. At the moment, the puregdk compiler does its stuff but just as the application is about to run, i get a purebasic link error

POLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol 'SYS_AllocateString'.
POLINK: fatal error: 1 unresolved external(s).
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't recompile PureGDK for beta releases of PureBasic because the results are unpredictable. You'll have to wait for the official release before PureGDK will support it.

Future versions of PureGDK will include header files that don't require static libraries. This means releases won't break when internal changes occur within PureBasic.

AndyUK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 12:42
ok thanks.
aonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, sorry to say, puregdk does not work as is very well in the current beta (7).
Not for me anyway.

I am using 4.31 with puregdk, and 4.40b7 for general apps.
As far as a step by step goes, do you mean for the entire process of setting up portable mode, and multiple instances of purebasic?
Or just specific to PureGDK?

There are details over on the main puregdk forum on how to do portable mode. It includes some code from another user, which you compile and insert the exe into the purebasic folder you want to run portable. This porgram acts as a launcher with a parameter assignment for the ide.

I'd post the code here for you, except it is not mine to post, so I will ask the author if it is OK.

If not, I will link from here to the other forum.

regards,
Dave
aonyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi again AndyUK,

I just went and found the forum thread on the PB forum.
Here it is. This way, I did not have to worry about offending the author of the code.

http://www.purebasic.fr/english/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=31467&p=235901&hilit=portable#p235901

Hope this helps, if not, I will answer what I can for you.

regards,
Dave
Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
PureGDK uses static linking which means that it has to be recompiled for each new version of PureBasic. You can't use the 4.31 release with the 4.40 beta.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 14:47:52
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 14:47:52