Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Atention - Your computer needs at least 450 watts to run x10

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Bought new computer Vista 300 watts
Bought x10
Bought Nvidia 8800gxt 750mb memory card
Result:
Models appearing minus their guns
Items moving around as you enter the level
Most of the problems involved physics.
Then card stopped working
'windows has prevented this software from operating'
Solution: Nvidia informs me that despite the fact my computer has the extra power leads to plug into the card it does not have the required power to operate the card properly.
The 8800 card needs a minimum of 450 watts.
That's the power of half a bar on an electric fire
No wonder it needs a fast fan to cool it
The next card down that requires no separate power is the 8400
I only mention this for two reasons
One, many people have complained of physics problems
Two, a full gb memory card probably uses nearer a thousand watts
That's one pound an hour to run your computer so be warned.
Garage gaming used to be cheap and cheerful!

mpc
Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2009 01:59
I think a more appropriate title would be "Attention - Your computer needs at least 450 watts to run an 8800".

Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2009 04:09
yea , what airlide says.

Looks like you need a new power supplie

http://image.fps-files.com/images/56Watermod_Logo.bmp[/img]
Changes
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2009 14:42
That card sounds crap, i got a hd4870 1gb ddr5, it only needs 250 w to operate at full capacity.

jamie
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2009 15:57
Erm, I have a 9800GX2 running on 300 Watt just fine.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
lil marioman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2009 17:16 Edited at: 7th Nov 2009 17:18
Keep in mind, most of the time, it isn't the wattage that counts. It's the amperage and the quality of the PSU. Also, you have to take in account the rest of your system.

A really low end Pentium Dual Core added with 1 stick of RAM, minimal addons (extra HDDs, soundcards, etc) could run a Radeon 4770 with maybe a 300W, since the system itself doesn't need that much energy.

However, with the same card, but with a Core i7, 2 HDDs, 6 sticks of RAM... you would need probably at least a 600W.

(These numbers are to show scaling only. In no way are these 'proven' numbers)

Also, when they say you need 450 Watts, it doesn't mean the card itself takes up 450W. It means thats how much they recommend for a mid-end system. The 8800 GTX (I'm assuming the 'GXT' is a typo) actually operates on a maximum of 176W.

bond1
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Nov 2009 23:19 Edited at: 7th Nov 2009 23:19
Quote: "Erm, I have a 9800GX2 running on 300 Watt just fine. "

Man that cutting things close. Nvidia recommends 450 as the minimum requirement. Doesn't mean it'll draw 450 watts all the time, but you have to take in account all the other components drawing power too.

Why chance it with such a nice piece of hardware? People will get strange errors and blame it on the software.

----------------------------------------
"bond1 - You see this name, you think dirty."
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 00:08
Quote: "Why chance it with such a nice piece of hardware? People will get strange errors and blame it on the software."

Too true

Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 08:22
Quote: "That card sounds crap, i got a hd4870 1gb ddr5, it only needs 250 w to operate at full capacity."

Your card sounds crap.
Silvester
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 09:13
Quote: "Man that cutting things close. Nvidia recommends 450 as the minimum requirement. Doesn't mean it'll draw 450 watts all the time, but you have to take in account all the other components drawing power too.

Why chance it with such a nice piece of hardware? People will get strange errors and blame it on the software."

Strangely enough I've never encountered any issues with this, My PC has managed to hold up with EVERYTHING I've abused it with so far, on the same Power Supply. I'm getting a new PC as soon as my paycheck rolls in though, mine feels old.

EDP Map Editor[2D]
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2009 15:07
Quote: "Your card sounds crap."

I too have the ATI Readon HD 4870 and it does not suck , specially with the ati control center , you can make dof for fpsc with it

Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
Spoke to a card 'expert'about nvidia 750mb 8800 gtx recommended for x10
He agreed that not only did my computer not have enough power - 300 watts instead of the required 450 watts -
But that the second component of the card - 2nd processor dedicated to graphics - offloads work from the cpu -
is the offending article as it attempts to over ride the motherboard.
Basically the card is sending instructions to the non sli motherboard that the motherboard does not understand.
Interesting article - Nvidia are at this moment trying to avoid a court battle with Intel regarding the 9000 range used by mac
The contract between Nvidia and Intel forbids Nvidia interfering with the function of the main processor which their card does.
Nvidia have offered to end manufacturing the card range but intel seek assurance that nvidia has not already done the same with their other cards. Apple is waiting to see what happens next.
The warning that showed up on my computer once it was restored to the old card was "attempt to overclock the main processor has failed" This would hint that the 8800 gtx card is doing exactly what intel claims and on the 8000 range.
If vista had not disconnected the new card when it did my main processor would have burnt out.
Comments...

mpc
crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 10th Nov 2009 21:48 Edited at: 10th Nov 2009 22:07
Quote: "Nvidia have offered to end manufacturing the card range but intel seek assurance that nvidia has not already done the same with their other cards. Apple is waiting to see what happens next.
The warning that showed up on my computer once it was restored to the old card was "attempt to overclock the main processor has failed" This would hint that the 8800 gtx card is doing exactly what intel claims and on the 8000 range.
If vista had not disconnected the new card when it did my main processor would have burnt out.
Comments...
"

Man where to start. You have no idea what you're talking about. Intel and Nvidia have been at it for sometime. Their issues have nothing to do with any cpu burning out.

If you want a good power supply get a good brand like antec or corsair those will power your card and you would only need a 400 watt one,maybe a 350, I also don't believe a 300 watt psu is powering a 9800gx2, that's 2 cards in one.
Medusa
Years of Service
User Offline
quote:crumbaker "You have no idea what you're talking about"
You are obviously the expert on nvidia, intel and what's inside my computer e.g. my 8800gtx
As for 'intel and nvidia have been at it for sometime' - read about it first - the sole issue concerns nvidia's cards removing control from the motherboard.

mpc
The Next
Web Engineer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2009 22:32
I ave absolutly no idea what you have doen to your card because i have a second PC in my house with that exact card and it is running with a 300Watt PSU no torubles at all.

Ensure you have all the latest drivers yada yada yada... so on.

Freelance Web Designer Email me for quotes and samples of works
Soviet176
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 02:48
The cards required power unit is like 450-500 watts. The card switches between how much power it needs to run certian graphical things. When I had my old build for example. I ran crysis on low. Card sucked up less power. When I ran it on high the card sucked up as much as it could from my power supply. 2 9800 gt's on a 300 watt is impossible, say good bye to a power supply. You probably overclocked your card. In the end even if you had 1 entity on the map you are still using a below recommended power unit for a card that is power hungry. It also depends on brands of power units. Some suck others are good. Just try swapping out power units with something better.

"Through knowledge I gain power, through power I gain enemy's"
Lightning Bolt Studios
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 03:49 Edited at: 29th Nov 2009 08:24
I would also recommend a bigger high quality brand name PSU also, I’ve seen this allot, someone will decide to build a new PC and buy the top of the line PC case, Motherboard, CPU, Ram, CPU heatsink,Video card,and DVD burner etc, all adding up to hundreds of dollars and then they will for some reason buy a cheapo Junk PSU, then after they get it all together they are scratching there head wondering why they are having all sorts of BSOD and their new rig is running slow, well that is why, and not realizing that the cheap PSU will shorten the life of all the new top of the line hardware they just spent a fortune on because of voltage fluctuations on the rails coming out of the cheap PSU , it can also burn up that new hardware because of cheap quality OVP and UVP, so my advice to anyone building a new PC that is going to buy a PSU or replacing one is don’t buy a cheap PSU it all boils down to the old’ saying “ you get what you pay for” and the label on the cheapo PSU that says for example 650 watts are usually just a peak wattage for a second and anything longer than that usually results in sparks or fire shooting out of the back of your PC,and allot of the time the label is just an outright lie, so don’t be fooled,
Good PSU Brands, PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, Thermaltake, Enermax, Antec just 2 name a few,

here’s a good site that reviews good and bad PSU’s

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Review_Cat&recatnum=13

here is one of there reviews on cheapo junk PSU's

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=71

And all of the higher end ATI and Nvidia cards tell you on the box and on the anti static bag they are sealed in they require 400 or 450 watt PSU to function properly at least all the ones that I have purchased have. And you may be able to run a high end graphics card off a lower wattage high quality PSU because they are what they say they are in wattage and amps.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 16:55:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 16:55:34