Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Squadron AIU - Dark Storm

Author
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 02:26 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2011 22:48

For more information please visit:
http://www.squadron-aiu.co.uk

This is a game I have been working on for some time. It is still very much WIP, but I am looking for some feedback. The game is going to be divided into short missions, but with some rpg elements.

I have enclosed one of the missions, but I'm interested in feedback for style and look.

Download from here:

Updated Youtube Video using Bump on all segments and entities
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjPsgzvEVUo&hd=1Youtube Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsoXY2IR3LI
HD Version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm9RvTP7GQc

I have updated the game and have added some of the requests.
Version 170
* Enabled full shaders to give that nicer affect
* Change HUD so that only one HUD pic was being used for everything. It now includes Health, Lives and ammo.
* Added dynamic advertisements to give that city feel
* Removed bad guys from the Blue Lagoon and changed to layout abit
* Removed all of model pack 6 weapons and used EAI weapons
* Changed the hand textures to bring it more in line with the game style
* Change some of the static models effects to use bump as some models were glowing when a weapon was being fired
Version 154
* Added background audio
* Updated level 2 and level 3 by adding vehicles flying over head on the platform
* Fixed a problem getting into one of the vents to make it abit easier
Version 150
* Update main docking area to give a more dymanic feel
* Updated level 3 by adding more of a puzzla
* Added story elements around to give more insight as to what is happening
Version 138
* Modified some of the levels to improve game play
* Added story information to the load screens
Version 134
* Medical station
* lowered player heal
* raised npc heal
* change npcs behavour
* Added more puzzals

Thanks to starmind 001 for the hologram and heal script they have come in very handy.

Enjoy

DC

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 02:28 Edited at: 12th Nov 2009 02:28

Attachments

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 02:29 Edited at: 12th Nov 2009 02:29

Attachments

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 02:30 Edited at: 12th Nov 2009 02:31

Attachments

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 02:32 Edited at: 12th Nov 2009 02:32

Attachments

dimre01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 02:34
Looks pretty good, I'm not a big fan of the HUD though.

dimre

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=160610&b=25
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 06:46
This is looking superb so far man, I really love the unique and artistic look you've got going in your level design, textures and over all atmosphere. With the feel it has, this is one of the most original looking titles I've seen for a while actually! And to be honest, I personally really like the look of the HUD you've got there.

Keep it up man, really looking forward to seeing more for sure

Cheers

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 07:26
HAve to try it out but there's absolutely nothing wrong with the hud imo

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 10:52
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm glad you like it, waiting for project blue to be moved to the latest source as this game looks even better using it.

The custom models have been create by wizard of ID and Steve (who makes the model packs)so a big thanks to those guys for this. Pleased with the result.

Regards

DC

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 10:57
I tried it out but the very first door, that said "press enter to use" did not react to "enter" (or "F")

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 10:59
Hi

Oh yes I have change the keys around. Just use E.

Regards

DC

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 14:10
Looks pretty cool.

A.K.A djmaster
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 14:26
Quote: "Oh yes I have change the keys around. Just use E.
"

To make your game perfect you should probably also change the huds that says "press ENTER to use door"

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 17:03
@ The Storyteller 01 = Totally agree still convertting many of the default HUB images.

Thanks for testing it.

DC

shadowfire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 20:28
*cough* the conduit *cough* looks great though.

Can you solve the mystery of bunker 413?
2 Rogues
Years of Service
User Offline
I agree with shadowfire, It looks a lot like The Conduit. But good work, I shall test it out.
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Nov 2009 23:48
Hi

I had never heard of it until today, but googled it, so I see sort of what you mean. Not sure if that is a good thing or not with never playing it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Regards

DC

2 Rogues
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 02:39 Edited at: 13th Nov 2009 02:40
Alright, I just played it. I must admire your level design, it's very good. Things fit together. But sometimes, the scenarios will seem empty. I think this game would look very good with full shader effects. I honestly disagree with your texture style for that rusty-walled segment. It does not fit with the streamlined, tech/sci-fi roof. One of the minor things is the extremely plain texture on the cultists. I would add more detail.

Screenshot Below
"But sometimes, the scenarios will seem empty"

Attachments

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 04:08 Edited at: 13th Nov 2009 04:10
@ 2 Rogues = Thank for the feedback it is very useful. I have tested this game using PB using full shaders and it is far better, I plan to wait until 1.8 is released and use it. With the screenshot yea this is one of those empty levels which I have been meaning to update, just haven't worked out how best to expand the level. Hopefully with the next version I will have it abit more full. In terms of the textures yea I can understand what your getting at.

Many Thanks

DC

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Nov 2009 20:33
Looks cool Maby lower the ambience and make bigger or more lights and put lightsources in. But the last screen looks very interesting. I like it!

Can you survive from the horrors of the hidden land Occulo?
starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I like this. I had some pointers, but it seems it has already been said. The only thing I saw was the load screen repeat itself and instead of "occult" just put "cult". Also have the enemy identify the plr like " You shouldn't be here." or " Someone in here isn't fond of breathin' and It isn't me." The health needs to be lower to give a sense of urgentcy. Maybe used that nice looking atm as a health station with say a pin number to give health found somewhere in the level. In the blue lagoon add some music to that area to give a cantina atmosphere. Maybe a hologram dancing on a stage. If you need one of these just ask and I will send you one. Overall I thought it was a good game. Keep up the good work.

Lider_Game_X9
Years of Service
User Offline
Good lighting....
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Nov 2009 18:50
Thanks for the comments guys.

@ starmind 001 = I have sent you an email in relation to the hologram.

DC

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
DC here's a screenie of the girl I made just for you today. I sent it to you.

In game screenie:

And a video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUuO5GD5pBc

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 02:25
Dimre is never a fan of custom HUDS.
NEVER

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 17:07 Edited at: 16th Nov 2009 17:08
Do I remember you? I think you were making some medieval game a long time ago. Were you?

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 18:23
@ Starmind 001 = Thank you for the model and I'm currently placing into the game and hope to have a finial demo by the end of the week.

@ Metal Devil123 = Yea had been making a game called the Town of Tulla. http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=149117&b=25 I think it was this game. I have to finish that game now that you remembered me.

Regards

DC

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 19:49
Quote: "I have to finish that game now that you remembered me."

Well, that's my job actually it's not... But don't tell anyone! i've been telling some people it is

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 01:51
Hi

I have uploaded a new version of my game. There are a number of changes and improvements. Thanks to everyone that have given feedback and I have taken some of it onboard, but not all at this moment in time. Please check that top post for the new download.

Enjoy

DC

ASTECH
Years of Service
User Offline
Crazy techno style game dude. If this was in X10... I would
be incredibly blown away with all these screenshots! I hope you
get to convert this into X10!

-Indestructible-

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I played this last night and I was pleased to see the improvements, but the load screens still bothers me. In the build game setup, select each level to change the each load screen. That way people can have more of a story line as they play. Maybe say " Great job at cleaning out sector 7, there are more in the local cantina called the Blue Lagoon." Make the player want to continue on. Also for the longer levels add a check point some where like just before jumping from the hanging tanks, so if the player falls or dies somewhere in the middle of the level they don't have to back track all the way back. Add some health your player starts out with 500 health points and if killed comes back with only 100 health points. Give this script to the atms so that you can have the player health gain health.

I hope this helps you, that is all for now.

Note: I saw the dancer and she needs more light.

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2009 16:17
Hi

@ ASTEK = I had tried this in X10, but it needed allot of work just to get one level to work. Hopefully once I finish this game I will have more time to sort out the X10 version, but yes I agree it looks ten times better. Thanks for the coments.

@ starmind 001 = Thanks for the feedback, yea I have allot more detail in terms for story to be added. I will hopefully have this in the next version. The dancer yea I agree she needs more light, but I'm really waiting for 1.8 Project Blue. As I can set her to glow and she should look more like a hologram. Thanks for the health script I will surely use this in the coming version. I many create a health station for it tho, as I have plans for the ATM in terms of story. Thanks again starmind 001 and I really do appreciate your help with my game.

Kind Regards

DC

The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 10:34 Edited at: 20th Nov 2009 10:38
I've played it trough 3 times last night and here is my review.

PROS:
-Best level design I've seen since "Automatic Update". In this game it actually feels like there is a world outside the playing area. Reminded me strongly of Deux Ex 2 and I will play it again several times just to learn about level building.
-Good use of lights/shadow. Not one of those games where you stumble through near darkness half of the time. Everything looks very natural.
-Coloring of levels is excellent. Very consistent, natural looking yet saying "this is not earth".

CONS:
-Repetetive gameplay. The enemies just wait to be shot and dont provide much of a challenge. Using walkpaths and spawn points to make them appear where they havent been 10 seconds before could improve this.
-Sterile environment. No signs of fights, panic or destruction.
-Lone-wolf athmosphere. Nice conversation at the start but then its just the player. No incoming messages, no found documents, no cutscenes.

BUGS:
-After the 1st or 2nd level my submachinegun was swapped for a similar yet different one ^^

OVERALL:
Normally I wouldnt be so picky about the CONs but such excellent level design deserves a more exciting gameplay. Nonetheless I enjoyed replaying it twice.

Thanks for the work you did put into the game and for sharing it!

EDIT: I played the old version, have to try the improved one too ^^

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 00:09 Edited at: 21st Nov 2009 00:10
@The Storyteller 01 = Thank you for the compliment. Your feedback will be very useful and I will surely be able to improve the game.

I am currently working on the next release of the game which should have many of improvements which some users requested.

Planned improvements will be.

1. Medical station
2. Expand story and detail for each level
3. Balance combat
4. Add more puzzles to make the player think about the environment
5. Add audio atmosphere

Again thanks to all who have played the game and especially those that have given such helpfully feedback.

DC

bman332211
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Nov 2009 16:25
Great game can't wait to try it. it looks very original with the HUD and the characters

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 02:11
Hi All

Thanks for all the comments and feedback. I have added a new version of the game with a number of requested items, I still have a number items to added, but thought you would enjoy a test at the latest version.

Link is at the top of the Thread.

Regards

DC

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 03:00
I have uploaded another more improved version of the game for everyone to enjoy. This is more or less a complete game apart from a couple of minor details. I have started work on another part of the game and hope to have screenshots this week all being well.

Regards

DC

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 03:24 Edited at: 30th Nov 2009 03:24
This screenshot is of the launcher for the finished game. It is part launcher and part browser for all the content and information about the game. I haven't decided if the web pages of the squadron universe will be stored on my servers or stored on the user’s computer, at the moment I’m incline to have them stored on the user’s computer. The screenshot is a working example, but will be released along with all the missions. This is just to give everyone an idea of how the game will be presented to the user once finished.

Regards

DC

Attachments

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 03:25
Downloading right now man, I'll post some C & C later on tonight or tomorrow at the latest

Cheers

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 03:27
@ Braden 713

Thanks that will be great.

Kind Regards

DC

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 07:16 Edited at: 30th Nov 2009 07:23
That definitely was a lot of fun man, your game has a very fun and adventurous quality about it; a very original looking universe, with lots that is going on around the player for him/her to take in, which is really entertaining and diverse. You don't throw these endless, page long stories about the game at the player, but give them tid bits about the world and what's going on, letting them expand where they'd like, and feel as if they're really part of it all; that was something I really enjoyed.

Now, your textures and segments are very cool. The maps flow nicely, there could have been a few more environmental puzzles, but the ones you did have, varied greatly and added gameplay differentiation at just the perfect times, which was awesome. For the most part, enemy placement was good, although sometimes it seemed to get a smidge predictable as to where you'd run into them
. However, the amount of enemies in each level worked out very well, and created quite the desired balance between map exploration and fire fights. What also worked out great was the use of cover you employed in your level design, whether intentional or not, I always seemed to be able to easily find cover during fights, which helped a lot!

As for some suggestions, I few I could think of are: Music, you don't use any in your game, which can work out in some instances, however most of the time there are stretches of awkward and unappealing silence. If you searched, I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find something that fit the atmosphere of your game; I wouldn't go with any high tech, futuristic sci-fi music that blasted the whole time, but perhaps something with a solemn, haunting ambience for a war and battle scene? Or at very least, if you choose to stick with no music (which would actually still be ok), perhaps working in some ambient sounds that added to the atmosphere during the quiet areas of maps? You could have gunfire in the background sometimes, maybe some siren or machine sounds here and there, or perhaps the facility the player is in has some form of a PA system that could periodically blast automated voice messages, which could come out as sounding though it's coming through a radio, and maybe echoing a bit and perhaps barely even comprehendable. Although, as it stands the game does still work well with no ambient sound, so you wouldn't want to over do the sound bits if you chose to try them. Just some thoughts though!

Oh and also, having some health in the game would be great, haha. I definitely didn't make it through the game with just 5 lives, probably closer to 10 or so - saved games for the win! - however something I did notice, which made me quite happy was the use of Checkpoints in your maps. A lot of people I think just forget to use them, and when you've made it some distance into the map, die....and realize you're back at the beginning, well it can be a bummer. You might want to check out the Health Station that you can find on http://fpsfree.com/ created by Xplosys, or if you could find the one Darkfact made...at least I think it was Darkfact...anyways, either one would go great in your environment. I digress! Either way, some health that the player could come across would be superb; and if there was health in the game, and I just never found it, then disregard this suggestion completely

Other than those two suggestions, I think over all Squadron AIU - Dark Storm is a very fun game. It's a brilliant start to the series, both intriguing and entertaining with a perfect blend of textures, enemies, weapons, lighting, entities and plot. I hope to see more from this soon, and I'll certainly keep testing out every new version the more you work on it. For those of you who haven't tried this out yet, I highly recommend it!

Oh! And I'm looking forward to seeing Zombie World #16: Always nice to see some undead get blasted to smithereens

Cheers

//Edit

I totally forgot, you might also still want to think about editing those Press Enter to Open Door messages, along with the ones for buttons, it was only thanks to Starmind inquiring about that did I know how to get through the first door

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 20:29 Edited at: 30th Nov 2009 20:31
Hi Braden 713

Thanks for this great review; it is always helpful to get detailed reviews which help me to make the game better for those playing it. The points you have made about the music totally agree, at the moment I have commissioned someone to create original music for the game. Hope to have it shortly. Also I hope to spend abit more time on some of the details like custom popup messages in the next couple of weeks to finish it off that bit more. The plan is to finish the launcher and complete around 10 to 15 mission, plus a couple of bonus missions. I’m glad you noticed the zombie poster that was going to be one of the bonus missions; I guess the cat is out of the bag now. Hehe

Thanks for the review and I hope you will enjoy the next couple of forthcoming missions.

Kind Regards

DC

PS I forgot to say there are a number of health stations throughtout the game, I guess I better point them out. Plan to create a training mission so that the player gets to know how to play the game.

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2009 01:19
Quote: "I have commissioned someone to create original music for the game"

That sounds great man, very exciting; I look forward to the final product with the music utilized in the game!

Also, the pop up messages would be fantastic. Reminding the player of their objectives, and letting them get pulled into the world a little bit more. I'm also quite looking forward to the finalized version of the launcher, I think as you add more and more levels it will definitely become an appreciated feature, especially for beta testing purposes!

That bonus mission though, and the training mission sound perfect! The atmosphere of the game could really benefit from having a training map, especially for those of us who apparently can't find health stations

Lookin' forward to the next update bro

Cheers

starmind 001
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Very nicely done! I like the improvements.

Defy
FPSC BOTB Developer
VBOTB Developer '09
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes I agree. Nice work. looking forward to future addons, like the beats addition.
I was able to finish it, without finding the health. Without giving anything away, final room with 2 *guys behind glass.

I do have a very minor suggestion though which helped me complete it, however let me know if you would like to know or I can email u as it may give away something to players who have not played it yet.

All the best with this.

demo released.
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 18:47 Edited at: 7th Dec 2009 18:48
Hi

Just thought I would post an update screenshot of the current mission I'm working on. This is WIP, but will hopefully give an idea of the tone of the mission.

DC

Attachments

Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 23:26 Edited at: 7th Dec 2009 23:27
Another updated of the same screenshot.

DC

Attachments

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2009 03:36
Oh cool man! That screenshot looks awesome, I love those statue models - very eerie and reticent. I can only imagine what that map entails...and the journey you have further laid out and planned for us. Keep it up man, hope to see more progress soon I'm very excited

Cheers

dimre01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 04:50 Edited at: 11th Dec 2009 04:54
Hey man, I just played the game, and for the most part, it was great.

Here's a little review:

The good:
-The enviroment. The levels were nicely done and had a very "authentic" feel to them.
-Challenges/Puzzles. These were fun and they kept the game from being a 'sprint from point A to point B' kind of thing.
-The lighting matched the mood/feeling of the game very well.

Where you could improve:
-Sound design (or lack therof); throughout the game, there was no music or any sounds for that matter besides the player's soundset. Having some Halo-Style orchestral music would make the game truly epic. Some voice acting would also be nice.
-For the most part, as I said before, the enviroment was great, but sometimes the levels just felt too empty. Try adding crates or barrels to give your levels a more "lived-in" feel.
-Try turning down enemies health, it took me 4 sniper bullets just to take down one guy.

All in all though, the game was fun to play through. I'd give it an 8/10

dimre

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=160610&b=25
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 14:27
Hi dimre01

Thank you for taking the time to do great review and I didn't expect anyone to give such a great score, I hope the other missions don't disapoint with a good start.

The music/atmoshpere is something I'll get sort, looking at samples for the game and hope to have the theme music for the game.

The lived-in you where talking I totally agree and will review the maps again to get more of that in. I think that was what maybe everyone was refering to, but I think you explained it better, well for me anyway.

The other comments I will have a look at them and see what way I can make them fit within the game.

Again thanks for the great review and it will really help with the final finish product.

DC

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 12:37:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 12:37:02