Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Why use this over Unreal Development Kit?

Author
User Banned
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 20:11 Edited at: 16th Nov 2009 20:13
Well last week the udk became available for free for everyone to use. Already a good amount of well done tutorials are available. This is in fact the newest version which has enhanced graphics options ahead of unreal tournament 3

If you want to build a game with it you can do there $99 license then you have to give them 25% of whatever you make past $5000.

This engine has been used for multiple games and even other uses. My question is why anyone would now use x10/x9 over udk? Is there any advantage this software offers?
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 20:13
well, you cant use x10 over udk has udk is c++ and x10 is dark basic pro x10.

http://image.fps-files.com/images/56Watermod_Logo.bmp[/img]
crumbaker
User Banned
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 20:21
What? I'm asking why anyone would use this engine/development kit instead of udk.
Deathcow
FPSC Reloaded Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 20:52
I think there are pros and cons with all engines and it all depends on the user’s skill and willingness to learn. I don't know anything about the Unreal engine apart from the games that I have played that use it. However X10 is a simple drag and drop system that requires very little experience. With X10 you can expand on that if you have the skill, but again it is up to the user.

It is the same old problem with new game developers, they can dream up the best game in the world, but fail to see that it requires allot of work to get. So the engine is not the game, it is just a means to an end.

Regards

DC

Jingle Fett
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2009 21:30 Edited at: 16th Nov 2009 23:12
Or even Unity over X10. That's more or less where I'm headed since Unity is a very user-friendly. Unity's licensing is even better than Unreal's; 100% free and no royalty fees no matter how much you make (you only have to buy the pro version for $1500...after you've made your first $100,000).

But back on topic. The only real reason to use X10 over either of those two I guess would be for super fast prototyping or light level design to get layouts right. And maybe as a way to make games with literally no prior experience (Unity and Unreal are a little more advanced). But outside of that, I'm afraid I can't see too much use for it either, at least as far as making real games goes. I don't know about Unreal but in Unity, importing assets is literally drag and drop, in X10 it can be quite the hassle (as you well know ). I've already imported one of my custom guns, hands and all and used it in-game. Just need to modify the script so it uses my animations and voila, custom pistol (It already shoots, has glowing lights, particles that spawn from the impact point and has ironsights. Could easily add a flashlight if I wanted to go L4D style).

I guess it comes down to what you want to do. If you just want to mess around for a little while and make something then yeah, go X10. If you're serious about making an real games though, X10's not good enough, for me at least. Although if all you're going to do with X10 is mess around for a little bit, you'd be better off with X9 since X10 was supposed to be the one for more serious developers.

Unity Engine 2.6 is now available for FREE
http://www.unity3d.com
Nomad Soul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 01:18
FPSC is a wonderful piece of software for making above average games with little to no game development experience.

However the free releases of Unity 3D and Unreal Engine 3 have provided a much more viable route to entry for a low budget commercial game.

At worst FPSC is a great way of learning how to create game assets and get everything functioning in a game engine with scripts etc or prototyping ideas. At best it could be used to make a competent game that casual gamers with average hardware can enjoy.

The only point I would make is that Unity 3D and Unreal do ramp up the learning curve so they are probably things you want to migrate to after FPSC unless you have enough spare time to learn those engines straight off.

In my opinion the only way forward for FPSC now is X9 as X10 just doesn't get the development support required to make it something anyone is going to stick with. FPSC X9 has a better framework, more versatility and the potential to keep moving forward, if a little more slowly than other game engines.
Bigsnake
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2009 17:13
Quote: "What? I'm asking why anyone would use this engine/development kit instead of udk."

sry dude, must not of read the title right

http://image.fps-files.com/images/56Watermod_Logo.bmp[/img]

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-19 17:01:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-19 17:01:14