Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Noobs read here!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, I'm becoming tired of all of these threads asking for help with DarkBASIC Pro there's a Newcomers forum for a reason don't come here and spam up the forums with your questions because it's not really helping anyone.

Thanks in advance,
Kordman916

Dell Optiplex GX280,3.4 GHZ Pentium 4 processor
1 Gig DDR2 ram,Geforce 8500 GT 512mb
zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 02:08
Maybe you meant for this to go in the DBPro discussion board? Or did I read it wrong?

There's something in this room that makes you can't speak well.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 02:25
I thought that when I approved it...

TDK

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 05:37
Yeah, spam this one instead.

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2009 17:42
pic or it didn't happen.

kordman916
Years of Service
User Offline
Funny.

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 02:28
So what do you think its for?

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 03:49
Quote: "Funny."

Actually I am sick of one thing that some newbies do. Some people ask for help for one thing. Once they've been helped they run into another problem 30 mins later they post again with the new problem. They don't give themselves enough time to even try to figure out the problem themselves before asking for help again. I believe it's a direct result of our instant gratification society we live in now. The same kind of person always use cheats in every game they play rather than try to finish it by their own skill or wits.

Neuro Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Amen.

Sometimes when I have a problem I've just ran into, it's reeeaaallly tempting just to post it up on the board, but a post like that about what could be a simple problem may just clog up the board :\

zeroSlave
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 06:39
Ya. Also, I find that learning the solution on my own helps me to retain the information better.

Muriako
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Actually I am sick of one thing that some newbies do. Some people ask for help for one thing. Once they've been helped they run into another problem 30 mins later they post again with the new problem. They don't give themselves enough time to even try to figure out the problem themselves before asking for help again. I believe it's a direct result of our instant gratification society we live in now. The same kind of person always use cheats in every game they play rather than try to finish it by their own skill or wits."

This seems to happen a lot, everywhere. People are extremely lazy these days.

I just started coding again, after a few failed attempts in the past, and I've spent probably six or seven hours in the last two days trying to figure out how to make a mouse controlled third-person camera that worked right. It's finally working pretty great at this point.

Most questions can be answered with a little searching and persistence. I got stuck a couple times when I was coding, usually sitting back and thinking for a bit did the trick, and the one time it didn't, I used the lovely code base to give me an idea of how it was done. Figuring out things yourself, rather then trying to have your code bottle fed to you, really does benefit you.

Not to say it's a bad thing to ask questions, that's what this section is for! Just try to think a little, rather then taking the easy route.
Cyborg ART
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 19:31
Hey! Stop flaming me!

MSon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 20:17 Edited at: 24th Nov 2009 20:19
When i first started using DarkBasic, i read all the help files, but still found myself making posts for help for things which i would now consider stupid, i think people should be free to post for help, i learnt a lot by reading posts on the forum, but everyone needs help when starting out.

Everyone Be Cool, You, Be Cool.
Muriako
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: " When i first started using DarkBasic, i read all the help files, but still found myself making posts for help for things which i would now consider stupid, i think people should be free to post for help, i learnt a lot by reading posts on the forum, but everyone needs help when starting out."

It's not a bad thing for new people(Like me!) to ask questions, but like Grog said, some people basically ask for their entire game to be written for them, one question at a time.

If you get *really* stuck on something, and spend two days trying to figure out how to do it, or if you are asking a quickly answered question, rather then one that requires a big ole' block of code, I'd say it's fine to ask questions. It's just the people that post every time something doesn't go the exact way they want it to, asking others to do their work for them.

Being taught is one thing, being dependent is another. :p
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2009 02:17 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2009 02:57
I don't mind very basic or even silly questions - everyone has to start somewhere.

What I do mind is when people ask questions on here because they can't be bothered to look for the answers themselves first.

If you look at the questions asked on the first page of this board I don't think there's a single one that hasn't been answered before - some many, many times.

Quite often, you only have to go back a few pages to see the answer to a problem - and that's without even using the search facility...

Which leads me to the next point. People claim that the search is not very good. But, that's only because people don't enter a sensible topic.

"Big Time Confused", "need some help", "No idea what I've done wrong", "hi i need help", "Programs?", "lil problem", "help!!!!", "I'm thinking about ....", "noob help !!", "Take a look at this" and many, many more like them are all examples of topics.

Even if any of the problems in these threads were answered, the search option would not find any of them. This is mainly because newcomers don't read the stickies which explain this sort of stuff.

Instead, you get the same questions over and over again - most of which can be answered by reading the help files, reading tutorials, reading some of the old posts on here or simply using the search button.

It's not rocket science...

TDK

kordman916
Years of Service
User Offline
That makes sense.

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2009 20:48
Quote: "Actually I am sick of one thing that some newbies do. Some people ask for help for one thing. Once they've been helped they run into another problem 30 mins later they post again with the new problem. They don't give themselves enough time to even try to figure out the problem themselves before asking for help again. I believe it's a direct result of our instant gratification society we live in now. The same kind of person always use cheats in every game they play rather than try to finish it by their own skill or wits."

I know what you mean. I often spend 1-2 days, or maybe more, until I'm 100% positively without a doubt stuck on something, and then, after I have tried everything including tons of forum searching, I make a thread. Usually these threads don't get answered though, because if the problem is so difficult that I must spend days of testing and searching in an attempt to find the answer, chances are no one else will know what to do.

farmkid4
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2009 14:52 Edited at: 9th Dec 2009 14:53
Quote: ""Big Time Confused", "need some help", "No idea what I've done wrong", "hi i need help", "Programs?", "lil problem", "help!!!!", "I'm thinking about ....", "noob help !!", "Take a look at this" and many, many more like them are all examples of topics.

Even if any of the problems in these threads were answered, the search option would not find any of them. This is mainly because newcomers don't read the stickies which explain this sort of stuff."

I hope they read this it helps(at least i know it helps me anyway) a lot when people have topics related to what they want to know.

When in doubt use the search bar.
Dracstompa
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 00:18
My time as a newbie was spent searching the forums not posting on them, it is true its all here allready! Search is your friend, even if you dont find the ansewer on the first search, search for the style of game (fps, rts, rpg, ect) and see how other people got through it. Better to search out the fix to the problem than get flamed and give up.

Goodluck to all you new users,
Drac
Ashingda 27
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "if the problem is so difficult that I must spend days of testing and searching in an attempt to find the answer, chances are no one else will know what to do"
LOL I feel ya, plenty of time that's happened to me as well. But if you keep at it sometimes the answer'll magicaly get solved then you stand up and yell, YESSSHHH I'm so smart!
Veron
Years of Service
User Offline
kordman916, no offence, but a lot of the q's you've asked in the proper DBP board should have gone in the newcomers board.

venomlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Dec 2009 10:00
I am nub myself and i was coding with my friend when we ran into a problem with the mouse and it took us like 2 - 3 hours to figure out what was wrong... we just had to change 4 lines of code!!!!
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 00:24
Displaying file names?
Clicking on objects?
Building blocks?
random floating objects?
pressing a key to increase a number?

venomlad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2009 10:39
Quote: "Displaying file names?
Clicking on objects?
Building blocks?
random floating objects?
pressing a key to increase a number?
"

we where setting up the camera, and then we ran into the problem of stopping the camera straight down and straight up, so u cant look 360 degrees on the x axis
kordman916
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok I will admit that I've asked my share of newbish questions but I've learned that a little work will overcome them now I'm just making a thread to teach others.

Daniel wright 2311
User Banned
Posted: 1st Jan 2010 02:42
This is a support forum, A place for just that, If there are people that need help and people that are willing to help there will always be new people asking for help. Its just that, so why complain about it. why do you care anyway? Its not your forum to manage anyhow. So why gripe if its not your problem? If its a place where people can get some answers then let it be just that.

monstercameron
Years of Service
User Offline
thats bs, im trying to learn dark basic on my own no one to teach me. how am i gonna find a solution, and if your will be done whats the purpose of forums?

guess what
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2010 13:43
Quote: "and if your will be done whats the purpose of forums?"

There weren't any DB forums when I started using DB!

TDK

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2010 20:58 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2010 21:04
Quote: "e ran into a problem with the mouse and it took us like 2 - 3 hours to figure out what was wrong."

2-3 hours isn't too bad, wait until you get stuck on a problem for a week and your have your boss breathing down your neck yelling why it isn't done yet. All to find out it's due to an incompatibility with another library they chose to use against your advise.

Quote: "Once they've been helped they run into another problem 30 mins later they post again with the new problem."

If I don't see an immediate solution to something and feel it could take awhile to solve, I'll post a question before I've really worked on it. The reason is because sometimes even a question on a forum could take hours if not days before a solution is reached. I'll continue to work on the issue myself, but if after 12 hours I still have nothing, then at least I've had the question online for 12 hours.

Quote: "thats bs, im trying to learn dark basic on my own no one to teach me. how am i gonna find a solution"

So you're mad because nobody will give you an answer? The forum users (with exception to maybe two) do not get paid or receive royalties of any kind from TGC. We don't have to use this forum nor do we have to answer your questions. Aside from technical support, TGC doesn't really need to do anything else for you. Nobody taught me DB, but that's what the manual is for. That, and countless hours staring at code. A great deal of time needs to be invested on your part into becoming a programmer. You wouldn't tell your boss IDK because nobody online would tell me would ya?

Quote: "There weren't any DB forums when I started using DB!"

The original DB site had a forum, but I couldn't say if it was there during their first year or not. But that was back when we still thought a sphere on a matrix was a cool achievement.

[quote]

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0
> 0 rows returned
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 16:31
Quote: "The original DB site had a forum, but I couldn't say if it was there during their first year or not."

It wasn't - I remember the first DB forum back in late 2000 because Lee and I were the only two mods!

I started using DB in 1999 if I remember correctly - things start getting a little hazy at my age lol...

Quote: "that was back when we still thought a sphere on a matrix was a cool achievement"

It sure was!

TDK

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 10:01
Quote: "I started using DB in 1999 if I remember correctly"

It was about '99 or '00 for me as well.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" ~ Arthur C. Clarke
Melancholic
Years of Service
User Offline
Uh let me cast my memory back,i started using DBPro in... 2009!.

Quote: "that was back when we still thought a sphere on a matrix was a cool achievement"

Damn, you mean its not anymore?, how bout, lets see. A sphere on a platform(my NaGaCreMo entry)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:28:13
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:28:13