Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Need help with collisions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
This is my first FPS and I have learned a lot through the various tutorials (Especially Ruccus' FPS Tutorial), but I cannot figure out how to implement collisions. I've used the limb technique, which is currently shown in my code, and I've tried Sparky's dll. I have Sparky's loaded right and everything in the right folders. When I used Sparky's I was still going through everything. None of the tutorial have worked for me. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it. If it would be better for me to re write all of the Sparky's dll and repost my code then let me know. Neither was working for me. I know some things in my code could have been done a better way. If it will not apply to making collisions work, just ignore it. I'll go back later and organize it more

Nathaniel
chafari
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2009 13:15
Hallo friend... Sparky´s works great to me. There are many collision system .You could do it checking collision between objects, or with intersec object command, that works better and faster.

I show you here in the adjunct file, a sliding collision by the method of colliding.If you want, I can show you the intersec method I made for myself programs...just let me know.

Cheers

learning every day

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Help creating a FPS
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey, anything that can get collisions working in my game would be great!

Nathaniel
Help creating a FPS
Years of Service
User Offline
@chafari

Thats not really working for me. I might not have done it right. My Spanish is not very well, so I had a hard time reading the comments.

Nathaniel
Help creating a FPS
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 19:21 Edited at: 28th Nov 2009 20:23
I figured out that the reason why the collisions are not working (using the limb method) is because my player is moving fast. If I slow my players speed down, then the collision detection works. The problem is that I need my player to move faster not slow. Any ideas on how I can keep my players speed and have collision at the same time? If there is a better method for this I am open to that to. I have messed around with Sparky's dll and read the tutorials, but that didn't work for me. It might have not worked for the same reason this isn't working.

[Edit]
@TDK
I was aware that multiple posts was frowned upon, but I wasn't aware that multiple posts to my own thread was frowned upon. I will keep this in mind.

However, I did finally get it figured out with Sparky's dll. I had all of the code right, just 1 little line of code was not in the right place (I hate when that happens)

About the Indention, I know about it. This is more or less a rough draft, when I get finished editing everything then I normally go back and do all the indentions and make it look more professional. I'm sure some would have something to say about using all caps too

By the way, someone told me that if I could get a Mods attention, then I might be able to have my user name changed. When I first started, I thought I was writing a post, so I wrote the post title where I was supposed to put my user name. At the time, I wasn't aware that I had to have a user name to post. When I clicked on post it took me to a page to setup my user info and therefore I thought I was writing a post.

Nathaniel
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2009 19:23 Edited at: 28th Nov 2009 19:29
Why not follow this...

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=96045&b=10

Once you understand how it works with cubes, you can apply it to your own program.

It's using DB's built-in collision, but when you understand it, you can better understand Sparky's - if DB's collision isn't good enough for what you need.

[Edit] You posted while I was writing my reply (note: multiple posting on here is frowned upon - please use the edit button). Any way, it looks like you've solved the problem and the remaining issue is probably best solved with Sparky's.

TDK

PS: Never heard of indentation?

zydeoN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2010 20:29 Edited at: 4th Jan 2010 19:37
Quote: "However, I did finally get it figured out with Sparky's dll. I had all of the code right, just 1 little line of code was not in the right place (I hate when that happens)
"

Im having the same problem as you... The collision is not detected at high speed, so what did you do ?

EDIT: SOlved, just used sphere casting
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2010 22:43
Quote: "I wasn't aware that multiple posts to my own thread was frowned upon."

It isn't. I only mentioned multiple posting because you posted three times in a row. You can edit and re-edit one of your own posts as many times as you want if no-one has added to the thread since you last posted.

Quote: "I'm sure some would have something to say about using all caps too"

I certainly would - I hate it!

But, if you prefer to type code in like that, I've no right to suggest you do it any different. My 'whinges' about all caps are only letting people know that I (and others too) find it very difficult to read on here - I've given up trying.

If anyone wants their question answered as soon as possible, I just think it makes sense to make it readable by as many others as possible.

I'm not sure that all mods can change user names. I've never tried to be honest. But, let me know what you'd prefer and I'll see what I can do.

TDK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:30:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:30:41