Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Help with 2d map arrays please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 16:16
Hi ive been using a map editior and when i export my map into a text file i get this

I just wanted to know what is this and how do i get it to load into my game, im sorry but im totally new to any kind of programming and any help or sample codes to study would be a great help.
Marsh0
Years of Service
User Offline
We need more info, what map editor where you using?. It should have some info on the site how to use the exported code.
Soulstealer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Nov 2009 20:38
Im using Mappy, i can export the code but i dont know where to put it to load it onto the screen using visual c++. If you could point me to a sample code or a good tutorial i could study it would help me out alot.
luke810
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 06:16
That's not actually the map... Its just two arrays that probably contain data relating to the tiles that go with each grid square. According to the site the maps should export to FMA and FMP files also, which is what the examples use. I would suggest reading into the examples on the mappy site, as checking those out will be of more help than people here who may not have even heard of mappy.

I looked and there appears to be some example programs for using mappy with directX, you might be able to work something out from that ( Though if you're new to programming I wouldn't consider it ). From what I've seen on the website, I honestly wouldn't recommend trying to do this at all if you are new to programming and there were no examples for DarkGDK specifically that were up to date. It's not something where you can just slap a chunk of code into your program, and blam, there's your map.

On the other hand you could try searching more openly ( perhaps on google ) for such a plugin. After a quick search I found one, but the link was bad so you will probably have to work a bit if you are really intent on using this.

Soulstealer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Nov 2009 12:58
Thanks for the info luke810. What do you think would be the easiest way for me to make and load a 2d map for a simple platform game?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-05 23:41:53
Your offset time is: 2024-10-05 23:41:53