Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Object cannot animate...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I'm new to this and I know it's probably something that's really simple and has been answered before and I'm sorry, but that's what you're hear for I guess.

Anyway. I copied the code from http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=t01/3d_tutorial_12 and I just replaced where it loaded "idle.x" with my own .x format model.

Now when I run the program, it says "Runtime error line 29. Object cannot animate."

What's wrong with me/it?

Thanks.

PS- I searched, but all the things that came up I got the old "404 File Not Found" error.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 01:39
does your object have animation data?
if so check the code to frame references that may be illegal for your object.
If not check the code and rem out lines that have Play Object commands (referencing your object number that is)

-RUST-
CMBY
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the quick reply, but...

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, but I need a really really dumbed down version of what you said, because I downloaded the trial version like yesterday and just jumped through tutorials because I understand most of them already.

How would I know if it had animation data?
CMBY
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, also this is the only part of the code I changed so if there's a problem it's probably here...

Am I loading the object from the wrong place? I assumed it would be the same as loading the texture files so that may be my problem.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 02:38 Edited at: 3rd Sep 2003 02:40
The problem may be the path so double check it but...

the problem may be the loop object statement. If the object you are loading doesn't have animation data in it then any play object/loop object statements don't apply, it's just a static object. You said it was your own x model object. If you created it then you should know if it has animation. If you didn't create it, then it is most likely the problem that you are substituting a static object for one that had animations-and that's what the code expects. To test your x model make a new project, load the object then add a PLAY OBJECT num statement and run it. does it blow up? then it's the object not having anim data.

I suggest you start slow and easy with dbp. Although what you did is very proactive, blindly substituting models in code that wasn't written for them will undoubtedly get you trouble sooner or later.

-RUST-
CMBY
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, thanks a lot. That helped me a ton and I'm glad you answered such a stupid question(to you guys).

Thanks again.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 05:47
Glad to help.
That's what these forums are for...
for the most-part

-RUST-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:41:01