Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / CIv 3D world map help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi All,

First post (so be kind). I have a game idea that will incorporate a civ 4 type of 3D World (but not a civ game). I want to be able to go from a tactical level out to a strategic level via mouse wheel. I want to be able to do as civ does, show the clouds and world zooming out. Is this something that I can do with the tools in this game? What would I use to create the cloud banks in the world.. This is looking downwards not upwards like in an FPS game.

Sorry if this seems pretty noobish, I am just trying to grasp how to start writing code for this.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 23:00
It's a nice idea, but if you are new to programming you are aiming too high as a first step. Even though the tutorials (in the stickies at the top of this forum) may not seem relevant, start with them and see how well you can get to grips with the basics first.

ralthan
Years of Service
User Offline
ok.. well I am not new to programming.. just to DB, so was trying to visualize how to start this. This is one of the many parts of my game I am trying to wrap my head around.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2009 23:23
If you have watched CIV4 you may have noticed that you are watching an animation which then's goes to 3D, the switch happens when in the clouds.

So good luck on your project, looks like you have a steep climb to start with.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Outscape
Years of Service
User Offline
well you are going to need two modes
one mode is the 2d (tactical) view
one mode is the 3d (commander) view

i havnt played civ4 for ages (i preferred civ3 tbh) but if i remember right, those are the two main views.

what you need to do is find out if the person is using the wheel on the mouse (i belive the command for the wheel is Mouse Move Z, as Move Move X and Y, are normal positioning)

so basically

thats just a little demo, no explanation on how to do anything else apart from the scrolling

ralthan
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the hints!

I never realized that CIV switched from 2D to 3D. They make the transition seamless. Thanks for the hints here. Couple other related questions.

1. How would you make the weather effects (the moving clouds) once you get to 2D mode?

2. I assume you would need to keep a 3D map and a 2D map, then correlate position to where the mouse scrolled up?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 12:20:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 12:20:14