Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How long to learn DB Programming?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2009 19:17
Hey all, I just started learning the DarkBASIC language yesterday, and I was hoping to be done sometime around the end of january so I can start on C++, do you think that this will be enough time to learn the language? Im hoping to do around 2-3 hours everyday and of course prob take christmas eve and and christmas off. So do you think I will be able to get this done?

Thanks!

Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2009 20:40 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2009 20:41
That's pretty ambitious. Spending 2-3 hours a day, I say you'd have a pretty good foundation knowledge of the language if you did that faithfully. Of course, to define when you have officially learned a language is debatable. Just wondering, why do you want to learn the language if you are going to switch to C++?

Amyrildora
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2009 00:29
Mostley because I think it will always be nice just in case. Idk just for more self fulfillment I guess...lol

Serial Velocity
Years of Service
User Offline
I would say go straight for C++, as the 2 languages are pretty different.

Sph!nx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2009 13:03
I had zero coding experience and started to work on the same game engine I'm still working on. 10 months, working on and off.

Though, I learn more and more, and I'm actually be able to help others with some code, I can hardly say I master it all... Still need a lot of help myself.

In other words, I think it depends on the person. One learns fast, others not so.

Regards,
Sph!nx
www.DevEd-portal.com
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2009 21:26
You can use DarkBASIC with C++ using the Dark GDK so it would be worthwhile learning the language but as Sp!inx said, the time it takes to learn a language depends on the person.

A clever person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it - Albert Einstein
Chaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2009 01:13
I also hope to be learning the DARKBasic language soon. Are there any good references for that language that won't cost me an arm and a leg?

Games are not games without programmers with CREATIVITY.
scutheotaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Chaz wrote: "I also hope to be learning the DARKBasic language soon. Are there any good references for that language that won't cost me an arm and a leg?"

Try these-
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=137027&b=7
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=115633&b=7
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=153399&b=7
Zarok
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 21:05
Yes these guys are right, it depends on the person! Also if your new to programming, i would not go so quickly onto C++ =P

Secondly you would most likly learn better from making full games/projects, and they take time

Byte < Kilobyte < Megabyte < Gigabyte < Terabyte < Petabyte < Exabyte < Zettabyte < Yottabyte(If only that was my download speed)
Chaz
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2010 23:12
Thanks, scutheotaku. Helpful indeed.

Games are not games without programmers with CREATIVITY.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 12:23:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 12:23:17