Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Scroll bar for 2d board game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Sep 2003 19:02
I am making a 2d board game. I made a beta version, i know how i am going to do everything except the scroll bar. the map for the beta i made in paint and is not larger than the screen. the map for the main game will be much larger. is there any way i can make a simple scroller (using keys to scroll, not the mouse)?

my format for moving the pieces are to use the numpad. if a = 8 then p1g1y (Player 1 armyGroup1 y-position) = p1g1y + (whatever number of pixels moves it into the hex directly above its current hex)

If I need to use a different method to move the pieces when i use a scroll bar I'd like you do explain the new method if you could please.

thanks
indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 11:03
basically update the camera X and Z dimensions with those keys
then update the camera

http://www.lunarpixel.com
It's already tomorrow in Australia
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 18:57
With this method would I have the pixels height/width be larger than 480 by 640? I would do the game normally except using a larger pixel size, and using the camera thing?

why are there three camera positions? is Cam Z to zoom outward?
ChipOne
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Sep 2003 23:52
in indi's example, x is for 'left and right', z is for 'up and down' and y is static.

what he's doing there assumes that you have a plain/matrix/etc. textured and lying flat along the x-z axis

y is static so that the camera is always at the same height and it looks as though you are looking down. the other command that he's missing before the sync, though, is this:
POINT CAMERA CamX#, 0 ,CamZ#

that would give the top-down view i think you are looking for. you're also going to want to:
AUTOCAM OFF

...prior to loading/creating any objects so that the camera doesn't flip around on you.

hope this helps.

cheers.

-= i only do what my rice krispies tell me to do =-
qwe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Sep 2003 18:39
I said that I am making a 2d game, that's why I got confused.
Should I make it in 3d, would this be easier?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:35:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:35:55