Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Huge Dungeons Tutorial problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2009 19:23 Edited at: 13th Dec 2009 20:07
Ok, so I'm having a big problem with the Huge Dungeons tutorial. Using the provided map it all works fine, but using my "custom" map (made in notepad) it gives erratic resulsts.

Here is what my map looks like-

Now, as you can see, it should be a square room (the "."s are the floor, the "#"s are the walls, and the "O" is the player spawn point) surrounded by walls. Instead, the floor and player point work fine, but the walls seem to be randomly scattered around. I've tried loading this map directly into the example provided with the tutorial, and it does this every time.

So, is there something I'm missing? Is there something else I have to do to the file? As far as I can tell, the dungeon map provided with the tutorial (which works fine), and any maps made with the provided dungeon generator, don't have anything special done to them. And, on top of that, it says right in the tutorial that you can make working maps in Notepad.

Attached to this post is my map file. Just drop it in the Huge Dungeons media folder, change the reference to point to it (i.e. "level.map"), and change mapsize to 16 (as a side note, it does the same thing with a 512x512 map, like the one that comes with the tutorial, that's made in Notepad)

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
scutheotaku
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey guys,

I still haven't gotten the maps to work but no worries. I've changed everything over to a different system which, in the long run, is going to work out WAY better.

To anybody else that has had a similar problem as I, here is my "loadlevel" code-

It's based off of Satchmo's example, so here to get more info about how it works (scroll down a little bit)- http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=145741&b=10. NOTE : While I based it off his example, I had to change it quite a bit to get it to work for me (i.e. replaced FOR NEXT with REPEAT UNTIL). I would suggest that you use my version instead, just because I couldn't get his to work.

PS : I like this forum's smileys

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 12:25:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 12:25:53