Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / First steps in dbpro progamming?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Basically all I want to know is what would be a good game to make as a first major project. I've already got used to the language and how most things work by doin some small test but now like I sed looking for to commit to

2 things thoo, as its my first proper project I want it 2d(havent quite got the hang of cameras and 3d positioning yet) and Before you say it I don't want to make pong

So if you have any ideas of a simple and fun game or a game you made when you were a newcomer please post

Thanks alot
Stefan p
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 03:02
Maybe you can try a make a game like Playing with Fire Two or Bomber Man.
They would teach you a lot about the different aspects of a game too.

I am mother and father, but never nurse.I'm rarely still, but I never wander. What am I? See my sketch
Uncle Sam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 09:41 Edited at: 21st Dec 2009 09:41
To be honest, 3D is actually easier (for me) than 2D in DBP. I would start with a simple platform game. That was actually my first game (in DBC).

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2009 21:20
I'm making a version of Noughts and Crosses (Tic Tac Toe)

I've also made a 3D version of Snake, A 2D Pacman clone and a Zombie 3rd Person shooter.

All of these were fairly simple games.

Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for all the suggestions all of them seem reasonable (Except the zombie one )

but ive looked at Bomberman and i think im going to make one of those I will post in a day or so if you want to see how its going

Keep the suggestions coming thoo and thanks again guys
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Dec 2009 22:19
Breakout games are pretty fun especially if you add items, clever designs, and possibly special effects such as the screen blurring.

Or if you want to challenge yourself, you could always create something original. I believe that the more original the project, the more comitted the creator is to making it happen.

A clever person solves a problem, a wise person avoids it - Albert Einstein
Teh Stone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2009 18:09 Edited at: 23rd Dec 2009 23:59
@Hodgey thanks for the idea i like it and thats good advice fro everyone about making something original

<edit> @hodgey

just so you know I've been workin on it for a bout an hour today and already got the graphics (from Dave gervais's post) and all the basic drawing of the screeng paddle movement collisions and deleteing hit blocks and looking to make the point system, levels and lives in by tomorow if I get a chance. Just wonderin have you made one yourself that I could have a look at and compare to mine

Thanks slot

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 12:15:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 12:15:49