Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3D deformable terrain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been trying to make a 3D mining game, and figure the best place to start is with some deformable terrain tests.

I've been all over the forums, and it seems to be a common theme that ppl believe that outside of using a 3D modelling program, a player selecting the face of an object in game (from within DBPro) and thus cannot have its texture altered.

Is this true? Are there no plugins whatsoever that could provide this sort of support? Because I want to create a Dungeon keeper style game where the player literally moulds the very ground into a \'Treasury\' designated area etc., And does so by painting an area. I could program this using a grid and stuff, but then whats the point of all these 3D maths command in DB.

Halp. Thnx in advance.

Dia
Years of Service
User Offline
I think that dungeon keeper holds its 'room' data in a 2D array, so that assigning a room type to each array cell then determines what 3d mesh is used in that particular cell

this can then be updated as and when you wish during runtime
Nights Bane
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the input Dia, but :
Quote: "I could program this using a grid and stuff, but then whats the point of all these 3D maths command in DB."

I'm interested in literally carving the ground using csg commands or otherwise. I guess I should just do a 2d Array though.
jasonhtml
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2009 07:42
i've delved into this somewhat... altering textures is pretty easy, but the csg commands quickly become slow when the ground becomes increasingly complex. what you might want to do is fiddle around with ways to reduce the number of polygons that a csg function outputs by making sure to remove unnecessary pieces of earth. not exactly sure how you should do this, but creative csg subtraction and addition would be very useful i'm sure.

also beware: csg commands for DBP are buggy for objects that are concave. always use convex objects!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 12:26:30
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 12:26:30