Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Why are TreeMagik models are not affected by lights?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I created a palm tree in TreeMagik, but when I load it into my scene my lights do not reflect off of it.

I took the statue.x model from the lights example and put it in my scene and this model indeed reflects the light properly.

Does anyone know how I can get TreeMagik trees to respond to light sources?

Thanks,
Greg
sydbod
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2010 01:54
I will try to answer just in case no one else does. I hope I am correct here.

Any model that is made of materials have properties for the materials that allow for and dictate how light is treated when it falls on that material. (reflection of light is one of those properties)

If a model is covered by textures, then the texture always looks the same and will never change as a texture does not get affected by light.

One can however change a model brightness by having the texture as the major visual component, and having the material for the model providing some component of reflected light, but I have never managed to get a true tracking of model brightness with regard to light level by this procedure when using textures.

Maybe some one with more knowledge could elaborate a bit on this topic.
revg
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you for the reply. I did some more searching and managed to dig up this post which seems to provide a partial solution. This guy found a way to light the trees, but apparently only if the trees you are creating do not have leaves.

I have yet to try this, but I will let everyone know how I make out with this solution.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=77770&b=13

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-10-05 19:28:03
Your offset time is: 2024-10-05 19:28:03