Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / black screen running tutorial program

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Sep 2003 22:24
When running the tutorial entitled 'Quick Start Tutorial 1 -- Screen Scrolling', I was rewarded with a beautiful, albeit unhelpful, black screen. This is the URL to the tutorials:

http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=dbpro_tutorials

I was running the first one listed on the page.

Through doing some of my own investigations, I found out that the black screen was being caused by the series of 'sync' commands. Without those commands, the program operated. It, of course, was not synced with the monitor refreshes, but it was better than a black screen.

I have already updated my drivers, I am using an ATI Radeon 9500 128MB card and have searched the forums exhaustively to try and find the fix--all to no avail. One feature that would be a welcomed addition to this forum would be the ability to search through message text as well as subject text. Just a thought.

Anyway, I am using the trial version of DB Pro, as I have just ordered the full version and it is on the way. Unfortunately, it takes 2-4 weeks for delivery from the UK. I am unsure if one is able to upgrade the trial version of DB Pro to the latest version, so it may very well be that this problem has been addressed in an update and I am unable to obtain it because of the restrictions on the DBP trial version.

Any help the fine ladies and gentlemen of the DB forums could provide me would be greatly appreciated, as I would like to start experimenting with the capabilities of the language without having to wait 2-4 weeks for my copy to arrive.

Thanks
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 10:47
make sure you have directx 9 installed, this has caused alot of people problems

Graendal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 20:13
Ahh yes, knew I forgot to mention something in the post. I already have directx 9 installed. Went to MS and downloaded/installed the latest version just to be sure.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 20:40
If you are manually syncing and the black area is empty 3d space then you need to makes sure Backdrop is left ON and then you can change it to whatever color with COLOR BACKDROP command. If the scene has an eclosed full screen world like an x model or a bsp, and you're again manually syncing, make sure Backdrop is OFF.

I haven't tried matrix or terrain so I can't say.
Hope this helps - maybe off point, not sure.
Still learning DBP without any good Help Sysytem

-RUST-
Graendal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 21:47
As stated before, I am merely trying to run the tutorial code as listed at the URL I gave above. I am sure there is some kind of configuration error or something on my part since the tutorial code, one would assume, is correct.

I have, as of yet, been unable to locate the source of my misconfiguration, which is why I posted here.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 22:23
don't ever assume tutorial code is correct - sorry to say
I'll give tje tut a look

brb

-RUST-
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 22:33
Quote: "Through doing some of my own investigations, I found out that the black screen was being caused by the series of 'sync' commands. Without those commands, the program operated. It, of course, was not synced with the monitor refreshes, but it was better than a black screen"

I ran the demo no problem here. The code and the commands are all as they should be so I don't know what ommitting SYNC would help or hurt. Your suspicion of some config / hw problem is probably true. Maybe someone here with an ATI card has had similar problems? If you have all the latest software for dbp,dx,video drivers than I am not sure what to say.

Hopefully someone here can help

-RUST-

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:35:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:35:16