Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Games to teach myself

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 17:25 Edited at: 14th Jan 2010 17:27
Anyone have any advice on some easier games to write, to teach myself things such as object collision, switching levels, keeping score, and basic game concepts like these? I dont want free code, or anyone to do anything for me. I want to learn it on my own, but I cannot think of a game to create that would help me. I learned the hard way that trying to make a top shelf game like GTA or Final Fantasy, or anything like this, was out of my grasp as I am new to game development. Also, could anyone toss me any advice on game layout. (example: Avoiding spagetti code ~GOTO mess~, loading new levels, and removing old levels.) Any ADVICE would be of tremendous help. Thanks in advance.

Nick ~Sickly~ Britton

P.S. I am trying to make a version of frogger for adults (a bit more graphic) using sprites and particles, in hopes of learning most of the concepts listed above.

The darkest minds, are often the brightest.
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 21:37
Well you know what your end project is that's good, not many do. Take your end project and break it down into To Do List.

1. can you make the sprite or 3D object move across the screen in either direction.
2. can you make the high score and place where you want, with the font you want.
3. can you make some control system that moves the sprite or object up or down the screen under your control.
3. can you position the camera so it at the angle or distance you want.

You do not have to make game to make the above, Yes I know its more fun doing that but when you some of the above going then you have half of it done.

Plus the search button will find you lots of stuff but most of it will need to be change to fit what you want it to do.

Good luck.

Dark Physics makes any hot drink go cold.
Sickly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2010 22:04
I understand most of those concepts already just going over the DarkPRINCIPLES tutorials, the tutorials here on the forums (some, not all of the tutorials here). My biggest problem right now is code layout, and keeping everything neat and tidy. I am trying to understand using multiple files for one program. (Example: DarkCLOCK on DarkPRINCIPLES tutorials, he puts functions on a seperate file.). I am still having a little trouble understanding how to load a level, and once that level is beat, remove that level, and load a new one. I am tinkering with the various commands in the help file though. Very useful.

Zaibatsu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2010 00:56
Just take any older arcade game and try to recreate it.

Stygian
Years of Service
User Offline
I am very new, and have decided to sort of reverse engineer the first Dragon Warrior. In essence it is turn based, with only certain aspects moving on their own. It has proven to be a perfect first project for me.
TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2010 20:28
Quote: "My biggest problem right now is code layout, and keeping everything neat and tidy."

Try tutorial 2 here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=99497&b=10

Quote: "I am trying to understand using multiple files for one program."

Doing this isn't absolutely necessary - it just keeps the total size of the code you have to scroll through to find something that much smaller - quite useful if it reaches an unmanageable size.

Depending on what IDE you are using, locating something in one of the external files can be a little harder - as opposed to having everything in a single file.

The idea behind it is that if you find yourself writing the same chunks of code over and over again for your games - like for example keyboard, mouse or joystick routines - you can write them once and put them as functions in separate dba files.

If you #Include the external .dba files you need in your main program, the functions in them will be usable just as if they were actually in the main program.

This is because when your program is run, everything gets lumped together (linked) and passed to the compiler as a single dba file anyway.

TDK

Sickly
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 08:11
Thanks TDK. This has cleared up a lot of confusion I was having.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:23:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:23:26