Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Would my best fps increase if...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 23:25
Hey... if I installed more ram and a new vid card this would help my gaming experience? Correct? I'm pretty sure it'd increase gaming speed a lot, but I was just wondering..

128 MB Ram
Some crappy vid card Intel Extreme 3d Graphics or somehting (it sucks trust me)..

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, he was all like: "If you_hate_your_sister$=1 then goto Kill_Sister." Yeah... okay I was lying
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 23:28
a kick arse video card and at least 256 megs system memory would be an improvment of epic proportions - as long as the rest of your system cpu+motherboard can take advantage of it.

Go for it

-RUST-
Inkybro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 23:36
Yeah.. what's RAM usually cost (USD), and a good AND fair priced video card (USD again)?

Yeah, he was all like: "If you_hate_your_sister$=1 then goto Kill_Sister." Yeah... okay I was lying
Yian
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Sep 2003 23:40
i think ram prices fluctuate so its better to wait/go for it sometimes

-john D.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 00:14
You can buy a 256mb ram stick for just $40. Depending on your computer you might be able to *add* it to your system memory too instead of replacing it .

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball
Read It: http://www.angryflower.com/itsits.gif
Learn It: http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 00:33
Increase your ram, trust me
For christmas, I got 2 256MB sticks to replace my 128MB and my computers speed doubled, everything loaded faster.

Ordered Dark Basic Pro. 1-3 Weeks remaining!
School Started, let the CHAOS BEGIN!!!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 00:36
good place to gauge prices is at pricewatch.com

ram is pretty cheap and you can pick up a really good vid card cheap
as well.

my card: Nvidia FX 5200 Ultra AGP8x 128 is only $120.00

-RUST-
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 00:46 Edited at: 9th Sep 2003 00:48
Yeah, you'll get a definate speed increase.

Just before i installed my GeForce 4 MX440SE i decided to make a little testing program, to see what fps a very simple loop gave me, here are the results:

nVidia TNT2 (32mb sdram) - 60 fps
nVidia GeForce4 MX440SE (64mb ddr) - 285 fps

And i remember from my upgrade (a long time ago) from onboard Intel graphics (4mb ram), upto my upgrade to TNT2, i noticed alot of difference.

ADD: i had 256mb ram whilest using both of these gfz cards.

TMB - under construction
Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
Inkybro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 00:53 Edited at: 9th Sep 2003 00:54
Okay, thanks everyone... how could I tell is i can simply add to my RAM? I really also don't know how to install sutff, hopefully it'll come with instructions..

But it's about time I get into fixing/building/adding to computers..

Inkybro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 00:56
Also, can anyone list some good vid cards?

I am brand new to this hardware stuff, I've always been good at working with computers, just not hardware.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 01:19
anything Nvidia TI or FX (no MX, sorry Shock) (recommending FX)

and just a word to the wise, it's really really easy to short computer components just with static charged up on your body. always ground yourself and power down/unplug pc from outlet prior to opening the case. read up on basic pc parts swapping and safety issues, and/or have an experienced friend or relative to help you. No need buying brand new shiny stuff just to fry it because of lack of precaution.

good luck

-RUST-
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 03:10
-Open your PC up using the manual (keep the screws and nuts safe!)

-Find where your current RAM stick is, it won't look much different from your new one

-If there's an empty slot alongside it, place the new RAM in that empty slot. If not, replace the old one.

-'Moderate' pressure must be applied to get it to fit correctly in the slot. I had to push rather hard. But try not to break it

-No installation is required, your PC will automatically detect and use the new RAM without even a 'new hardware found' screen

In short it's the easiest kind of thing to install... quick and simple... but make sure to follow basic safety rules, PCs are fragile pieces of equipment

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball
Read It: http://www.angryflower.com/itsits.gif
Learn It: http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 04:18
Quote: "PCs are fragile pieces of equipment "

An example of this is the macintosh flash movie that is always posted here. When the guy kicks the computer and it shatters.

Ordered Dark Basic Pro. 1-3 Weeks remaining!
School Started, let the CHAOS BEGIN!!!
Shock
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 22:26
glorified lego really, lol. scratch that, its more like mechanno.

yeah cattlerustler, mx isnt the best gfx card out there nowdays, but i dont have an agp slot so, its about all i could get

thats another thing: find out if you have an agp slot (if it is "Intel Extreme 3d Graphics" i'd really doubt you'd have an agp slot, and you'll have to go for a pci card. also, i always found WinXP to be alot better at handling both onboard graphics and pci graphics at the same time. sometimes win98 gets confused, and confusing to you too, its easy to make the mistake of getting the wrong driver with the wrong adaptor when using win98)

TMB - under construction
Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 23:14
The grapics card will have a much more noticable impact on your system. I don't know what the ram prices are like at the moment. If they are high it might be worth waiting until they are cheap before you pick some up.

I wouldn't worry too much about breaking stuff. Computers are fairly hardy. If you replace the grafics card and ram while the computer is turned on you might break something. Not being stupid and following the instructions and you will be ok.

I think a lot of the stuff about pc componants being easy to break is untrue. Turn the switch off but DON'T unplug the pc. Leaving it pluged in leaves the pc grounded and allows you to ground yourself by touching the case. This isn't really nessasary but a good precaution.

http://www.crucial.com/
A usefull site for finding out what ram your system needs and how to fit it. You can also buy it there if you want or just use it for info.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 12:47:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 12:47:52