Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / Pasting images!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 00:59
Can I take several pictures( lets say they are 640*480 in size) and paste them on top of each other, the first at 0,0 then the next at (0,480). Can i then take all those pictures and then copy them to 1 large pic (so it would be 640*480a, a being the number of pics.)? I believe this is possible, but im just not sure exaclty how to do this.

Those who Fight with swords get killed by those who don't
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't think that it would be a good idea to do that. Memory would be used up pretty severely. Also it is pointless having so much graphics out of display. It is really easy to do this with just 2 screens high though, and then keep swapping the top one when it has scrolled all the way to the bottom.

Pincho.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 04:26
Yeah that would be fine except for the fact that im using UV data in order to scroll the background.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 04:29
What would be better or less demanding on hardware?

A)
Continulously swap the top pictures

or

B)Have 1 big pic and change the UV data in order to scroll it

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe you should just try your idea, and see if it works on your computer. The biggest screen I have ever used as a texture was 1024*512, and that is considered huge! The reason that people suggested scrolling the UV was because you said you wanted the background to repeat. Now you are going for a changing background you should go back to the original 2D idea.

Pincho.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 21:17
First, I have never told anyone that i wanted a reapeting background, only a scrolling one.

So If i want to have changing background, it would be best to just swap the top pictures and either offset or move down the background to give the appearance of scrolling. Will This preform differently (either faster or slower in terms of processing preformance)? I dont want to make something that will totaly bog down some ones computer (either his ram or his processor)

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Well I will probaly go with Van's & Dostej's idea of useing 1 big image and changing to uv data. Im not really worried about reusing the images because im going to leave that up to the artist at his own discretion."

That sounds like you want a repeating background.....sorry if I misunderstood you...

Don't know if Van-B meant that you could use a really huge image. I thought that he meant just a couple of repeating screens. Maybe I am mistaken.

Pincho.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2003 00:50 Edited at: 10th Sep 2003 00:51
Quote: "Don't know if Van-B meant that you could use a really huge image. I thought that he meant just a couple of repeating screens. Maybe I am mistaken."

Well I think he probably meant to use a smaller pic. I think were there is confusion is where i say

Quote: ""Well I will probaly go with Van's & Dostej's idea of useing 1 big image and changing to uv data[...]""

When I say big image, i mean BIG. Van probably thought that meant a normal sized 640*480 image, and thus a small repeating screen. When I say that im not worried about repeating and ill leave that up to the artist, im speaking of the artist creating a large bitmap, in perhaps photoshop, and copying areas in order to save time. I hope that clears things up.

Back to the issue at hand...

I really need to know which method is less demanding. I would like to know right away because I am finishing up the engine and i don't want to do any major changes because of a program that imposes hardware limitations.

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2003 08:22 Edited at: 10th Sep 2003 08:24
INTERSHIP when running creates and prints to and scrolls a bitmap 640x6720 (the DETAILS screen).

The program has been downloaded to thousands of different computers and run hundreds of thousands of times with no problems.

The more you see, the more you know.
The more you know, the more you see.
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2003 19:16
thx... i checked it out...

Im just going to take my chances with a large screen.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-07 04:32:04
Your offset time is: 2024-05-07 04:32:04