Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Zombie Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 03:39
I've been working on a zombie game on and off for a while now, constantly scrapping what I've done to start over. I've struggled to decide whether it should be out in the open, urban environments or in confined spaces so I'm going to make it a blend of the two.

As for Plot I don't think I'm going to worry about that too much, I'm concetrating on building environments at the moment and I'm starting work on some custom media for the game, it's going to be more about the look, the atmosphere, the feel and the fun overall. The outdoor scenes are going to be more action orientated whereas the indoor scenes are going to be more about creating a tense atmosphere.

Here is the first screenshot from an outdoor urban scene, you can see I've used quite a bit of the media from the Urban Model Pack.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 03:39
Another screenshot from the same environment

Attachments

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 03:41
And a quick mock up of the working title (as you can tell it references Tarantino)

Any advice to offer is welcome of course.

Also I forgot to mention I'm building some of the environments so they can potentially double as multiplayer maps.

Attachments

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 04:41
hmm. I feel like being BRUTALLY HONEST here. I hope you won't think bad of me.

I saw this thread, "zombie project" and thought; "oh goodness no, another 'zombie project'. and truthfully, this game didn't even meet my bad expectations. I am all for someone new at game level design, or game design as a whole. But for a zombie game, (dark, MP22) It only had one of the two. I'm not saying too much darkness is a good thing, in fact, it will probably be refreshing to play a zombie game with a fleck of light on screen, but darkness can really set the atmosphere. Atmosphere is one of the most important things achievable in a game.

I suggest you whip this game right into shape by adding better lighting, and more "personality"

to fenix mod!
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 17:37
fair comment about the lightmapping, that has more to do with the computer I'm working on at the moment than the way I want the finished product to look. The outside scenes will be lighter than the indoor scenes though, the outside scenes will host the more action orientated scenes and the indoor areas will be more for atmosphere.

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 18:31
What mod are you using? With a huge environment like that, you're going to need the speed. Add more grunge-y things laying around, that's all I have to say for now.

And like Bugsy said, I thought it was going to be a noob posting an all stock media ... erm, crap project, but I was corrected. I should be more positive lol

Good luck with this...

-PwP

New Site is up! Go check it out!
Red Eye
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 18:39 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2010 18:39
Bad Mood NvM

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 19:02 Edited at: 22nd Jan 2010 19:09
thanks, i've been revising this area today actually adding more to it, I've removed a lorry and added a few battered cars and a van on fire. I've also stopped using model pack 5, I like it but don't think it's the most suitable. Ammo is going to be scarce also, it's better to run from an enemy and avoid it than take it on in this game. I'm using the dogs from the freaks and abominations for some of the outdoor scenes as they're fast and i can put them in groups that chase you.

EDIT
Oh and incase you didn't check the 3rd image I posted the game is called Inhuman Basterds (a play on inglourious basterds).

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 20:03
Right guys, I've taken all of your pointers and criticisms on board and I've revised the look of the level, is this any better?

It's darker, grungier and as you can see the dogmen now feast on corpses in packs.

Attachments

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 21:03
Looks alot nicer than your first shots!I never heard of you, this your first project with FPSC? First real project? Becouse it looks nice.

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 21:38
Na i've been pretty much absent from the forums for a couple of years, barely used FPSC the whole time. I got FPSC in 2006 though, just haven't touched it really since 07/08.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Jan 2010 21:47
I bought it 2007 or something like that, I used it all the time (but never really accomplished anything) I joined the forums 2008 and didn't do anything for a long time. I mean I did a lot of stuff, but they were just crappy levels of something. And tehn I started making Planet Hell and made a thread and from that project, i staerted to do real stuff. I learned to really use lighitng and turn down ambience and I became a real designer!

But you don't want to hear that.

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 00:25
Started an inside scene, it's about 60% completed, still looks a little rough around the edges. I'm still working on the lighting for it, I want the player to have to use the LED torch as much as possible indoors so they have to quickly change to weapons and can't always see what is attacking them.

Attachments

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 01:06
I've decided to use a comic book style for the cutscenes, here's an example of what that will look like.

Attachments

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 01:09
the outdoor scene was much better, but I must suggest some more lighting outside. sharpen up those textures, and add some more lighting, like around the fire.

the indoor scene, once again, leaves a lot to be desired. It looks so... stock and boring. I see a very basic MP3/5/36 room. firstly. set your ambience to 0 any part of the room that's not got a light brightening it should be pitch black. add some wall and ceiling entities as well

to fenix mod!
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 01:15
and another

Attachments

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 01:28
an example video of how it works - http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o96/ayton89/?action=view¤t=meetingalex.flv

It's not perfect yet, I haven't done the sounds yet it's really just to show how it should look in that comic book style.

Bugsy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 01:48
those are your cutscenes?

to fenix mod!
DestroyerHive
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 02:04
Amazing work, good luck with finishing this!

http://www.uncaged.co.uk/pg.htm
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict" - M.L.K.J.
Stop P&G from testing on animals.
Vent
FPSC Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 03:16
Cool, I was going to do a comic book type thing, before i cancelled my project, looks good

Free FPSC Media Downloads
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 21:13 Edited at: 23rd Jan 2010 21:54
they aren't the "cutscenes" just a quick mockup of what they might look like, i want them to be a bit more dynamic.

EDIT
and bugsy credit where it is due, I've tried your 0 ambience idea and for all it requires me to rework the lighting in the outdoor scenes it really adds to the indoor ones, particularly in the subway tunnel i'm working on.

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 23:29
Here is a screenshot of the subway wreckage, credit goes to cosmic prophet for the subway train.

I used flickering lights for the flames and hurt zones around the flames to stop the player deviating from leaving the play area.

set the ambience to zero in the tunnel and i'm still working on the ideal fog levels so you don't see the enemies until the latest possible time, I wanted a dark areat hat made use of a torch.

Attachments

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2010 23:54
and another urban

Attachments

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2010 02:29
This is coming along very well, your screenshots keep getting better and better with progress. I'm really looking forward to a demo man, keep it up

Cheers

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 18:30 Edited at: 25th Jan 2010 18:39
GRAPHICAL OVERHAUL

another image from the subway scene showing my new train tracks i made, they're flat due to the collision issues i was having with the old 3d ones i downloaded. you can also see i've been playing with the lighting and fog.

EDIT
also currently working on another urban scene and then an industrial scene which could possibly be the end scene with a bit of a plot twist. I don't plan on it being a particularly long game but that could change depending on budget and ideas.

Attachments

Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 23:55
http://s118.photobucket.com/albums/o96/ayton89/?action=view¤t=IHB.flv

A link to a preview video of the "train yard" level, I think it's looking a lot nicer than the earlier stuff I posted.
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 00:17 Edited at: 26th Jan 2010 00:19
That's looking splendid Cherd, it's got a very creepy atmosphere but looks to be a fun, adventurous shooter. Hope to have a go at a demo soon, keep up the great work man

The one thing I could suggest however, might be adding more entities here and there around the map. Give the area a little more clutter, perhaps rubble or boxes, shrubs, bins, barrels, it's up to you really.

Cheers

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
Gunn3r
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 00:20
I do like the look of that fog. Looks toxic, almost. Looking forward to more in this "Graphical Overhaul".

@Braden, sent you an email.

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 14:39
wow, the subway screenshot is amazing! Keep it up, I love the atmosphere!

mgarand
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 15:34
nice but i dont like the ledlamp, bit weird (a little light lights so much up)

Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.
Cherd
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 19:08
Horror games seem to have flooded into the WIP forum as of late so I think i'm going to discontinue this one, when they're all released to the showcase people are going to start loosing interest, therefore instead I'm going to adapt my "desert compound arena" into a full similarly themed single player game. There aren't a lot of modern combat themed games kicking about at the moment.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 04:48:05
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 04:48:05