Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / Pointless Assault Requiem: Attack From Under (WIP)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 14:44 Edited at: 25th Jan 2010 18:23
Yip it is back ! The shocking news However is I have not made any form of a game in the last two years did specific tests and ideas but nothing new.As my skills and understanding evolve so does PAR.
I have taken a break as I wanted to work on the skills part more two years later and 5000 meshes, it took a little longer than expected.
Quote: "

I still like my original idea of a pointless shoot em' up.I just particularly like this genre as some times you do not always want to concentrate on following a story and speaking to this guy to get x information to allow x part of the map to be unlocked.

I want senseless shooting of bad guys that keeps on spawning running aimlessly in your general direction wanting to pick a fight with the wrong guy and them getting owned well unless you can't shoot.

Well that is what I like to think how it translates to Pointless assault is a bit different.Running wild shooting every one you see does not particularly help you very much especially when doctor Mole has injected you with a slow poison and threw you into the belly on the under world.

What you do in the belly of under world with a clip of 10 ammo and a pistol is entirely up to you.Killing your self will be optional, but having some thing to live for like the cheeseburger at the end of the tunnel of light does make you wonder........

Doctor "Mole" has deemed it fitting to throw every thing his time machine alien generator can make, at you.

Alien scum make me sick!

PS the underworld is full of life traps so tread carefully.

PS Good luck doctor "Mole" is waiting with the cheeseburger at the end of the tunnel...uh and the antidote if you really want it."

I have taken my concrete tunnel system I started to customize it to my needs adding grates as well as new meshes that I will slowly started adding to this to already large segment pack I have created.Will be adding new textures and modifying MP3 ones to suite my needs for this project.

Pointless Assault Requiem takes place in the belly of the underworld I will need to look at getting it as dirty as possible and realistic as possible as well as being able to use a standard mesh system and add different textures door sections grates and platforms to make each level different without having to reinvent the wheel....

Enjoy I look forward to getting feedback and taking you on the journey as the game and my skills adapt and evolve.

"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bass guy1669
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 15:22
Looking good man

come see night shift at http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106003&b=25 see you there
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 17:56
Yay awesomness is back,cant wait.

A.K.A djmaster
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2010 18:22
Yip

Yeah I decided when I have released PAR I will release a part 2 of the Concrete Tunnel pack.Have made another 15 meshes.Due to the nature of this type of level The odds of having many room segments is nearly Zero, So I am looking forward to making another million meshes *joke*.

Probably should have a 56k and boring warning here in this thread as there will be a lot of me talking and pictures of new meshes and stuff and me making most of the posts....

This ceiling topside mesh gives the illusion of being underneath some thing...

The next mesh set is going to be fun one a round drain pipe segment that will be a underground version of a duct system will contain straight T and Cross Junction and Angled since I don't have to worry about entity collision I might even throw in a bend....

"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"

Attachments

PW Productions
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 02:51
Ah, vent-crawling. Fun stuff. Good ol' Half-Life

Looking good, nice use of your upgrades

-PwP

New Site is up! Go check it out!
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jan 2010 05:13
@PW Productions

Yip you said it vent crawling FTW !!!!

Every thing came out perfect with this mesh and texture.....

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 09:41
As always I make a test mesh first...I decided it had not enough detail or realism so I redid it.

Now it looks like a proper sewer with the concrete ladder bars and I added a tunnel section on top...

Now I am going to work on changing the floor grates with some thing a little better suite to the sewer scene...

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 11:16
Another shot of the new mesh.

The good news is I will not be using a single room segment and will only contain single meshes to make the levels but I might up having 400+ meshes a level...

This method gives me the flexibility that I am look for which room segment can't supply...

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 14:07
Here is the in game *sigh* another 23 meshes..

Lightmapping went all weird for some reason unknown to me... time to email Lee if he is not to busy....

Attachments

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 18:01
Very interesting geometry. Looking forward to more!

-Keith
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2010 18:27 Edited at: 27th Jan 2010 18:28
@KeithC
Yeah I am completely disappointed, have to either redone them or not use light sources for the vents.Lee responded to the email and told me the effects require perpixel light mapping or baked textures..*sob*

6 hours worth of work down the...um er grate...Ah well guess I will have to use textures for grates....

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 14:20
Have added another few meshes yesterday and today.So this getting better looking and more sewer.I am looking at changing the floors to a more sewer looking floor and adding some more platforms and other little details...

Attachments

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 14:41
Looks good; definitely a step away from the normal FPSC level-type.

-Keith
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 15:55
Thanks....

However now that I have fixed my 8600GT I am thinking about using X10 over X9.Who knows buts tests have shown X10 to liking the meshes without and problems so that is pretty good news over all...

Modeling the levels or sections of level in XSI has help a lot to breaking that FPSC blocky look.Also using a standard mesh format in dimensions has help to allow speedy creation of new meshes and allow several variations of the same mesh in the least amount of time.I already have 23 different straight mesh variations.

This is good news when I have completed this project this again will go into the concrete tunnel pack part 2...

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2010 21:37
I have been doing some research the last few hours downloaded over 150 pictures of sewers from paris to the USA...

Decided to redo the lot even with the current meshes that I am using there are still a few things that I am doing wrong...

I have seen square sewers oval egged shaped you name it pretty much any shape and size even looked at the huge sewers sections from Japan 20 meters in height.

So I had to decide on a look I want to go for as well as take collision into account and decided to go with oval shape (screenshot)and still make best use of X10 water.

Still requires some editing to allow corners and t and cross junctions.

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 08:12
Well started with the new mesh set and I am much, much happier with the new set now I just have to test entity and player collision...

*holding thumbs*

Attachments

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 02:07
That looks great good job

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 10:45
Thanks I redid them again because of me being completely stupid, I ended up with a 350 unit mesh instead on a working 300 unit mesh the Alignment was completely screwed up...

The new ones with no alignment issues...

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 16:44
Started working on the floors, the down side of this I will not be able to release any thing as the are far to custom for segments.

Gives me the sewer look that I am going for.This however means I have to completely do the level in a 3d editor.

So I will still decided what I will do there is perhaps another method that will still allow angle floors for the drainage pipes.I am thinking about editing the main wall meshes to allow for both flat floor and the angled sections which to me sounds better...

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 18:34
Slight modification that gives the best of both worlds over all still a few things that I would like edited.The way I have modified the meshes doesn't allow much room on the side for platforms or areas to walk however I wanted to create a section like this to make it a more realistic that you will find water here.

Since this is the base set I now have to go and create all the mesh variations.Over all I have spend two days on the meshes and will likely spend another two days creating and importing the meshes and make the bitmaps.

Then I can start adding the grate sections,pillars railings ladders storm water pipes for the roof.So the set back is not that bad and will be able to get back to creating the levels on Monday on wards...

I presume since I am only getting a few replies this is the boring part that every ones hates.I can't keep on talking to my self it is hazardous to my metal health.

I do feel that this is an important to talk about as well as getting feedback on, as this part of the development is the most critical part.Once you have created the media you will be using it is set in stone for the rest of the development.Not just that the rest of the development has to follow the same style and look that you started with or else your media may clash.

So yeah enough babbling about this boring subject.Next update will be the imported meshes...some thing to look forward to.I hope!!

Attachments

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 18:43
This stuff is just awesome,if you get everything done right,you should get BOTB 200%.

A.K.A djmaster
Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 18:43
That is really awesome! That really is out of the box kinda level design, becouse every other game here uses segments (I have nothing against segments)

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 19:07
@charger bandit

Yeah you can also look forward to this media getting released as well like concrete tunnel.Yeah I felt that no amount of modifications were going convert the tunnel system into the sewer look I needed the research has helped a lot.However I still have to think about collision among other stuff...which is sad as that does allow for for some stuff that I wanted.

I all ready have a problem with the round pipe sections not being able to allow entities.

@Metal Devil123
These are still very much "segments" in that sense not room segments but none the less segments.All I have done was create the base for the segments in a editor and exported each mesh individually with a set criteria on the mesh dimension to allow tiling in FPSC.

In a sense it is not really out of box level design all I have done is created all the meshes at one shot to get a better look at how it will look as well as sort out any alignment problems on the fly instead of importing meshes separately.This method is really great as it allows you to quickly export a mesh and test in FPSC and if you need to modify some thing that effects all meshes it can be done in a instant or well that is at least the theory.

However this is the base set I still want to add additional meshes like this one which will be super super excellent I think. I have also found that I am able to work better with reference pictures which in the past I have had problems with.

^^^I am talking too much again... sorry.

Attachments

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 19:08 Edited at: 3rd Feb 2010 19:13
Double post enough to read it twice, to read it twice

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 12:52
So have imported and test entity collision, wanted to see if the entities would walk up on the ramp and back down again no problems.

Great success!!!

Keep in mind this is just a random MP3 textures so it doesn't look very good.....

Attachments

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 14:03
Whoa! If that looks that good with "only" MP3 textures, I can't even imagine how amazing it's going to look with your own textures!

With me disaster finds a playfield
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 14:31
Thanks still deciding on going with brick or cement.Did a test with cement do not like it so perhaps brick will be better suited...

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 15:18 Edited at: 4th Feb 2010 15:19
The brick looks better I now have to modify the clean bricks into dirty bricks....
BTW this is still a MP3 brick tex
I have a few texture dirt masks and to find software that can layer them correctly ....

Attachments

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 19:33
Thatpicture is a .php. Atleast for me.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 19:41
Checked works fine...!!

General Jackson
User Banned
Posted: 4th Feb 2010 22:23
Awesome looking good job

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 16:40
Well, it doesen't work for me...

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 19:27 Edited at: 5th Feb 2010 23:05
Well here it is again.

Today is national Say no to square edges day.I have decided to Smooth all edges out as you can see the square walls kills the scene
completely due to light mapping.This however means the bricks is out and will have to make a replacement concrete texture Yay ! "What fun"

It is pretty simple at best but it will add so much detail to the meshes at little cost the new Wall/straight mesh combo is only 1300 polygons which ain't half bad and no performance loss.

Attachments

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 20:46
Happy no corners day!

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 20:52
lol !!!
Yeah better remember that date for next year 5th Feb, 5th Feb....what was that day again

Yeah just completed the other meshes no to Uvmap again.Yeah so stay tuned the new screenies will be up later.....

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Feb 2010 23:03
After spending my 5th Feb "No edges day" working.....bleh!! I am pretty happy with the end result.I really could not wish for any thing else right now except water in there of course....

What I really like now is there are no more unrealistic shadows that one normally get in the corners where two meshes meet....

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do....

Attachments

AaronG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 00:43
Geeze, your work is astounding.

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 08:06
Thanks.

So now for the concrete test.I do know I guess it looks okay but the floor clashes a bit so I would have to change that....

Attachments

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 09:04
I think I enjoy it more than you do!

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 10:59
Lol thanks

You will enjoy it more now.Started adding detail...Next on the list is pillars and floor grate have completed the ceiling grate just needs to be mapped and imported... oh and smaller Pipes

Still a long long road ahead....

Attachments

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 11:19
Nice, awesome work!

Juzi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 12:06
Man that just looks marvellous! Great job

With me disaster finds a playfield
charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 15:32
Just amazing! I guess the pillars,walls,roofs and floors are separate segments?

A.K.A djmaster
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 15:48 Edited at: 6th Feb 2010 15:49
Yip, just tested the ceiling grate on the cross-junction sadly it does not work collision problems (high poly count I guess) ah well back to the drawing board...

Well only walls and floors have to be separate segments for the collision to work as "Lee" intended

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 18:31
Really liking these new segments.

-Keith
wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 18:57
Yip I will be uploading them soon or later made next week or so have to fix the UV maps

wizard of id
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2010 18:25 Edited at: 15th Feb 2010 18:27
Well I have been happy hacking away and most of the new designs have been showcased in the sewer (wip) thread.So I uploaded a video showcasing all the new meshes and stuff.

So enjoy this is not the real level just some thing I quickly threw together for PA I will keep a secret and obviously add entities and stuff and better light mapping.

So watch and enjoy....

https://forumfiles.thegamecreators.com/download/1962463

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 06:39:27
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 06:39:27