Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBPro Net Capabilities

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 15:04
Hi, I got DBPro a while back but never really used it as a lot was going on in my life.
Anyways, I wanna start learning it and me and a few mates have just set up a small (~12 computers) LAN so I was hoping to write a small chat util for the LAN users.

Can anyone tell me how difficult this will be?
What sort of commands I need to be reading up on?
Any similar projects whose code i can read?
Any protocols I may need to research via the web? (I'm pretty sure this one is irellevant though)

Thanks in advance, Incandescant

System: Athlon TBird 800Mhz, 320MB RAM, GeForce 2MX440, DX8.1
Lampton Worm
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Sep 2003 20:14
Hi ya,

I'd suggest reading up on the Multiplayer commands. Chat programs have been done before in DB/DBP so it shouldn't be too hard nder the covers DB interfaces into DirectPlay (unless you're using a 3rd party DLL, there are some available) so making a connection and passing messages back and forth should be straight forward enough. I did have an example but my links have expired. If you don't have a DB manual to hand, try reading up here:

http://www.realgametools.net/glossary/index.php3?theme=1&level=3&chapitre_id_select=25&document_id_select=3

p.s. the above link won't be there forever as that site is a sinking ship, but hopefully Danny will continue this at his new RTG site ( (www.dannywartnaby.co.uk/rgt), I've dropped him a PM to see.

Hope it helps, and good luck.
Cheers,

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:36:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:36:53