Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DLL Talk / xgui in extends does not work in windows 7

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Feb 2010 18:25 Edited at: 2nd Feb 2010 18:25
All the demos crash in win 7 (and possibly vista from what I hear). It just crashes when running the XGUI SETUP() function. I bought the bonanza pack, almost primarily to use xgui, and it doesn't work

Any ideas or fixes?

Cybermind
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 19:56
Does XGUI not work under Windows 7?? bummer :-(

The byte chrunchers are coming...
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Feb 2010 20:33
It appears not.

Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2010 20:20
I cannot test on Windows 7 if it work or not.
the main problem is that eXtends/2DPluginKIT are developed using PureBASIC so, the compatibility with Windows 7 depends on the compatibility of PureBASIC with it.

Did you try with the latest eXtends released few days ago ?

Regards,
FreddiX
zivan
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi Jerico2day Dit you find a solution i have also crash with Xgui on windows 7
bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Apr 2010 05:52 Edited at: 24th Apr 2010 05:52
zivan. I have not yet tried the latest release of eXtends, but the previous version just doesn't work on win 7. I have decided not to use eXtends at all, and have instead been using bbb gui (in the wip forums). That said, I have sidelined that project temporarily for some other things I need to take care of.

James H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Apr 2010 12:34
I had similar sounding issues with Vista - from what I remember you have to compile/build but not run the exe; then find the exe, right click>properties and change compatability mode to win 98. Also I think I recall that running in this mode limits memblocks to a max of 128mb or 256mb
Creating Game
Years of Service
User Offline
XGUI is very old, I think was developed for windows 95 or 98, so run it in compatibily mode as already someone suggested
zivan
Years of Service
User Offline
Oke Works With Win98 Mode on windows 7 ultimate Thank You For your Help
MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
I have tried the newer 1.5 release and have the same trouble with Vista. I suppose It's perma-broke and you'll have to use 98/ME compatibility mode no matter what. The release notes said better compatibility with Vista but I suppose it didn't say it fixed that little problem...
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 11:57
Hi.

I don't understand why it happen on some VISTA computers.
I have Windows VISTA Professional 64bits installed on my computer and eXtends, 2DPlutinKIT, PurePLUGIN all workd perfectly with it.

I have compiled latest eXtends release with the latest PureBASIC version available that should be "more" compatible with Windows VISTA.

I suspect it has something to do with strings and the way PureBASIC/WindowsVISTA handle them but I never really find a solution for all windows VISTA cos I can't test ... on Mine everything works fine.
MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th May 2010 20:27 Edited at: 7th May 2010 00:43
It is not like Vista bugs are rare. I'm using Home Premium 64bit. I have come across string issues before. Do you think it is strings in memory or the string table. I was sure you mean memory but I'm not positive.

Freddix, have you tried to run the compiled exe of someone who is having problems? If it works for you then there is no doubt. I'll include mine. I have turned off 98/ME compatible mode but make sure that It's still off just in case. This example will crash upon XGUI SETUP on my system. I will try my best to hack around and help figure things out. Is there anything you kept from when you first started making XGUI that some versions of Vista may not have? Or maybe there's a DLL that OEM Vista installations aren't including, or something. Mine is a system builders kit install of Vista.

BTW, you should get an error that states it didn't load the skin. Otherwise it just crashes. It works on my roommates XP machine.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 13:55 Edited at: 7th May 2010 14:35
@MayoZebraHat 1979:
It's string in memory.

No I didn't tried cos peoples said samples provided with eXtends crashs. so I compiled them and they don't crash on mine ... Maybe someone that have compiled these samples can send me one or two .. but, how can I be sure that this person did not modify the original source code and that it can cause the crash ?

EDIT :
When I read a string from DBPro, before using CreateDeleteString to free memory, I read it with PeekS
I just noticed this in the PureBASIC doc :
Quote: "PeekS()

Syntax

Text$ = PeekS(*MemoryBuffer [, Length [, Flags]])
Description

For advanced programmers. Very useful to read a string at the specified memory address. The string should be ended by a '0' character, else it will read the memory until a '0' character is encounter.

An optional 'Length' parameter (in characters) can be specified. If the 'Flags' parameter isn't specified, the string is reads as unicode if the program is compiled in unicode mode, else it's reads as ascii.

The optional 'Flags' parameter can be one of the following values:
#PB_Ascii : Reads the string as ascii, even when the program is compiled in unicode mode
#PB_UTF8 : Reads the string as UTF8 (the program can be either in unicode or ascii mode)
#PB_Unicode: Reads the string as unicode, even when the program is compiled in ascii mode

When the 'Flags' parameter is specified, the 'Length' can be put to -1, to read the string until a null character is found.

Note: a combination of PokeS() and PeekS() can be used to perform conversion between the different supported string modes (Ascii, UTF8 and Unicode).
Supported OS

All"

important : If the 'Flags' parameter isn't specified, the string is reads as unicode if the program is compiled in unicode mode, else it's reads as ascii.

I will modify the source code to be #PB_UTF8 to allow support for both ascii and unicode ... maybe some VISTA use one or other ? It will maybe fix the crash.
I will do these changes and tell Mike to release a version with these changes (only if these changes does not cause more crashs/bugs)

Regards,
Freddix / AmiDARK
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 14:44 Edited at: 7th May 2010 14:45
Can someone try this executable on Windows VISTA / 7 where eXtends XGUI crash ?
I've made some changes ( with #PB_UTF8 )

Regards,
Freddix / AmiDARK

Attachments

zivan
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello, Freddix
Still Crash on Windows 7 I have ultimate But With Compatibility Win 98 its Working see Zip file picture

Attachments

MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
Freddix, I get the same crash. I'm at a loss as I don't use pure basic for plug-ins so I am not sure how it compiles the DLLs. But I know passing strings in C++ and as long as you use the right convention it should work. and that shouldn't be OS dependent regardless of installation.

@zivan:

Yeah, we are trying to make it so you don't have to do that. Running in 98/ME might limit the functionality of certain programs made in DBPro. I mean it's fine for most small games but once someone reaches the point where they'll need full Vista/Win7 support then they can't use this plug-in's Gui features.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 23:15 Edited at: 7th May 2010 23:16
I use string in many eXtends commands sets ans no one crash excepted XGUI ... I don't understand why ...

Can someone run the small sample from root ? like C: D: to be sure it's not some sort of string length issue.
Neco
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th May 2010 23:20 Edited at: 7th May 2010 23:21
I unzipped the file to my root C:\ drive and ran the demo.

Once you select a GUI from the text menu, it crashes.

(Windows 7 Ultimate, 64-bit)

MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
Same here. It maybe something that lies within the pure basic standard libs. I think I still have pure basic but I wouldn't know where to start in order to re-create something that crashes this way. Since we don't have any issues with the other command libs do you use something from the pure basic libs differently in the xgui that the others don't use?
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd May 2010 13:45
in the XGUI, I use same commands from everywhere else in the plugin. That's what is strange
MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
It's been a while. Any more word on fixes for eXtends? I notice that one of my projects, a Yars revenge clone, is broken after I installed 1.5. Before the new version of eXtends I used rotation and collision on many of the objects and they used to work fine. Now only if the object is at rotation 0.0 do they collide. Also, I had a 3 layer scrolling star field that worked fine but now it's all jumpy or stays still most of the time. I have no idea why unless extends now breaks sprite texture coordinate setting.

the movment was done with sprite texture coordinates shifting.

I haven't changed any code and everything worked fine before updating to 1.5.

As far as I've tested mirror/flip works but I'm not sure if it actually flips the collision mask yet. Stretch kinda works, the collision mask is only stretched about 80% or so of the sprite size, pretty much how extends has always worked with stretch. Size doesn't actually size the collision mask but it's still there. Rotation doesn't even seem to have a detectable collision mask for me, anywhere on the screen.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jul 2010 10:36
Hello MayoZebraHat 1979.

Send me on e-mail a sample reproducing the bug you've found at fred (at) odyssey (minus) creators (dot) com
And I'll get a look at it to find why it doesn't work.

Regards,
Freddix
MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
Sent you an example project. The scrolling sprite UV works fine but the exe should demonstrate most of the sprite manipulations and how collisions work on them.
Freddix
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jul 2010 12:22 Edited at: 20th Jul 2010 18:43
@MayoZebraHat 1979:
Sample received.
I will check it this week.

I've tested your sample and ROTATED/OFFSET does not work properly on it.
I'll check to see from where it can came.

EDIT 2010.07.20 17:73(fr):
Rotated work correctly with U7.3 and is broken with U7.4/U7.5 ... Maybe it's the function that return the sprite angle or something else that does not work with U7.4+
I've fixed Mirrored/Flipped that now work properly.
I must also fix OFFSET one ...

Kindest Regards,
Freddix
MayoZebraHat 1979
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for looking into it. I hope you find the solution soon.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 10:31:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 10:31:21