Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Creating a Star...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, I'm stumped already. I was trying to get a model in my scene looking like a star. Well, has anyone tackled this already? If so just point me in the right direction please!
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
When making stars for a video game we don't make 3d stars.
We make a plane that holds the star texture that we drawed in paint or something.

You can also use a hemisphere that is half of the world, and just texture one big texture of stars on there.

darkvee
Sharlenwar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Feb 2010 08:10 Edited at: 6th Feb 2010 08:13
Interesting, because I was looking for a way to create a "sector" so to speak with multiple star systems. Thus I was wondering how to get the stars to have a glow but still have substance. I guess you meant stars as in background stars? I guess I should have told you a bit more of what I'm trying to do.

The far away stars, yes, there will be a sphere that is texture mapped for that. Within that sector there will still be various systems that players will be able to navigate. So those stars in those physical systems.
darkvee
Years of Service
User Offline
I would use arrays for this you can scatter them out in a random position using the planes.

If you want more stars, and you want come clusters.
I would use a 2D array
It's like array(set,stars)
stars = 100
set = 10

So now what we have is 1 set,and it has 100 stars in it.
Think of it like I have one big box that has 100 small boxes in it.

Now we got 10 big boxes, so the stars are like in a group then just scattered.

darkvee

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:23:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:23:36