Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / The Media Base

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2003 23:04

As some of you may or may not know, TMB is soon to open. The script is around 80% completed, and martin is getting along fine with the website design.

For those who don't; TMB will be an online database of royaty-free downloadable media, which you may use in your games (or for any other purpose really, e.g. a website ). There are so many great programmers out there, who suck at modelling and making music, etc. that i (with help from 8truths) decided that this type of website would be a great addition to the db community, and the whole game making community in general. I know what it feels like to have a good idea, good programming skills, but no models, music etc to create it with.

How it works:
- Some guy/gal with great skill in creating a piece of media, can upload their media to the database. I understand that alot of people may not want to upload their media to a website, under no licensing (royalty free). We was wondering of everyone's thoughts of this. To encorage, you would get a little fame (your name or username alongside your media), and a chance to win "media of the month", which will have rewards when i have the money to buy you some (hopefully the adverts should pay for the hosting of the website and rewards). i can say that for the first "media of the month", theyre will be a reward, but im not going to tell you what it is yet

- After it has been uploaded, the media will be checked by the admin. This is just to filter out the general nasties. After that, the media will be submitted to the database, where;

- Everyone can download the media, for any use. Each piece of media will be shown with a preview, (models will come alongside a jpg preview, music will come alongside a short music snippet, etc.).

I have also already chosen and setup the following categories, if anyone has any ideas for an extra category/subcat, please post below

2D: Designs, Photos, Characters, Objects, GUI, Other
3D Worlds: BSP, Other
3D Models: Characters, Vehicles, Military Vehicles, Architecture, Military Architecture, Weapons, Other
Textures: Floor, Walls, Sky, Other
Sounds: Animals, Weapons, Voices, Atmospheric, Vehicles, Military, Horror, Sci-Fi, GUI, Other
Music (Full): Alternative, Ambient, Easy Listening, Ethnic, Pop, Rock, Rap, Soul, Dance, Fun, Ending, Comedy, Other
Music (Loops): Alternative, Ambient, Easy Listening, Ethnic, Pop, Rock, Rap, Soul, Dance, Fun, Ending, Comedy, Other

Any comments/suggestions?
Would you find this service useful and use it?
Would you be willing to post media?

All comments welcomed

TMB - under construction
Sticking feathers up your butt doesn't make you a chicken.
Terabyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Sep 2003 23:09 Edited at: 10th Sep 2003 23:09
Well i think its a dam good idea
Go TMB!
Can't wait till its out

>>TerraByte. Putting the Byte back into Terragramming<< Life is like a sheet sandwich you take a bigger piece everyday.
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 00:08
I think it will take off quite well if plenty of people take notice and just dont take with no give. It is a considerably positive idea.

"We are getting aggravated"
"Yes, we are"
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 00:14 Edited at: 11th Sep 2003 00:15
Hmm, getting Neo Wolf Media Pack v2.0 ready, might be a good place to put it.

I've been outcasted from the public's society.
Why must I be outcasted here too.
actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 00:18
It's been thought by alot of people in the last years,no one ever did it though.

When it's done,I'll contribute with pleasure,I reckon many people just don't have the kind of money to get good models.

Along with a contest,there could be a different theme each month ie futuristic,medieval,urban etc.

Everyobdy wants to be loved,But no one loves everybody...

HEY!!! I'm the one who had 'Cyberspace' in his location on the older black forums,shame on you Rich j/k
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 00:41
I am posting cos you posted this link on messenger!

Brains are for idiots.

Athelon XP 1400 Plus - Nvidia Geforce MX400 - 256mb RAM
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 01:12
lol, Well it seems the community approves of The Media Base idea. It will be finished, how well it does determines on our visitor count and how many people are willing to upload their media, to The Media Base. One things for sure, itll look good

http://www.jaxteam.co.uk - complete! Go visit

- The Media Base, Under Construction
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 10:58
finished some logo versions and colour schemes

http://www.jaxteam.co.uk - complete! Go visit

- The Media Base, Under Construction
Critters
Years of Service
User Offline