Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / DBPro, old and boring.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Feb 2010 19:23
(Im new to DBPro thats why i posted this here incase you mods are thinking it should be in the discussion board).

I'm tired of looking on dbpro forums for tutorials that either work, arn't 5 years old and the links/downloads no longer work, or are remotely interesting.
I've tried alot of the tutorials and got very bored of them, the otherones i can't access, and i'm wondering if anyone could show me one interesting, usefull starting point for DBPro, instead of me spending hours looking for something decent, even the Stick thread at the start of this Board is very old and useless.

Unless i find something soon i think i might be throwing it in the bin or selling it, i've learnt nothing from it so far even after getting about 3 games to work that are aboslutley tiny and are useless.
I can't create a game yet because i havn't learnt enough about it and all of the beggining tutorials i've looked at seem useless to me.

If you can help our give me a DIRECT LINK to a tutorial that is usefull and wont waste my time please post it.

I don't want to have to throw it away because it would be a complete waste, but there seems very little option due to the lack of help for beginners/noobs.

Ready For Anything!!!
ShaunRW
DBPro Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Feb 2010 02:22
Hekael, what is wrong with reading a 5 year old tutorial? Nothing has changed so much that they are useless.

TDK's tutorials
These are very good tutorials, they helped me a lot when i was a beginner. If you thing there boring, then maybe programming isn't for you.

=PRoF=
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2010 18:55
A lot of BASIC knowledge that I have stems from learning it all on a ZX Spectrum when I was a kid (Back in like 1987 or someth).

A 5 year old Tut for DBP seems perfectly fine to me.

Shadowtroid
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2010 23:11
Quote: "If you thing there boring, then maybe programming isn't for you."

Yeah, programming, while rewarding, will be menial and boring. It's all text, so it's not very exciting.

"And we played the first thing that came to our heads...Just so happened to be... the best song in the world...

it was the best song in the world..."
The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 01:29
Quote: "Yeah, programming, while rewarding, will be menial and boring. It's all text, so it's not very exciting."

Well, the writing part of it can be boring, or solving the problems that you encounter can be frustrating, but the outcome of the game or program is so much more rewarding.

@Hekael, you should try to make as many little programs with the things you have learned from the tutorials, and try to experiment. Experimenting is the best way of learning and solving problems. And if there are things that you really don't know how to do, than you can always ask for help here.
First, write down what kind of game you want do make, and what things you will need for your game, and start little and build up from there.

Cheers

Slayer rules!!! Yeaaah, man!
NightX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 13:29
a book -
I would read it, if its still around, i thought it was very good.

Fallout3fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Im a noob like you but just learn to use it and you will have fun with the capabilities you can have with many forms of code

----|I_/-..
----|o_\-*
Mhmyess....
NightX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2010 08:39
You can get this book i was talking about earlier. You could buy one for $20.00 secondhand or brandNew for $90.00.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592000096/qid=1075063406/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-1151863-7596950

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:18:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:18:57