Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Feature questions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a few simple questions from a newb:

1. Is it possible to create realtime shadows? Raytracing?
2. Can shaders be implemented? Any examples?
3. Is it possible to have multiple heights for a 3d character to walk on? (e.g. walk into a building, go up stairs and walk on the second level without the neex for sneeky coding)
4. Is there a simple way of creating camera-"3d object" collision detection so I don't have to walk through walls. I realise u got collision detection but do I really need to set it up for every single wall?

That's it for now, this proggy looks pretty good so far.
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 11:17
1. maybe, not sure
2.Yes, not by me though
3.Yup i'm pretty sure it would be fairly easy
4.Yes its very easy, you can do it with 2-3 commands

Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 11:45
Orbi,

1) Yes, but it's not raytracing. That's something packages like 3D Studio do when you render out the scene (and it often takes ages!). Games don't use raytracing, they just "fake" the effects of it. DBPro has shadow support for objects however.

2) Definitely, lots of examples come with it (in the Examples / Basic 3D / MiniFX Browser). This example program includes several free shaders and you can modify the properties of them in real-time to see the results (MiniFX is a great little program I think most people don't even realise they have!)

3) Yes, but this is a code-based thing. There are no commands for "set floor height" or anything, you will have to actually do some coding Or use a BSP map in which case the collision and stuff is calculated for you.

4) Yes, very easily.

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we have short-circuited the Universe!"
Orbi
Years of Service
User Offline
Well thanks for the quick answer. Now I got two more:

1. Any support for deformable meshes? Morph targets?
2. What is that strange flash of light I get every now and then? I get it when using most of the 3d examples. (NOTE: I am not insane and have no eye problems)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:27:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:27:15