Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Can you do 2d?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Would this be a good engine for 2d? Yes? NO? If not wanna point me int he right direction? I'm looking into maybe starting developement on a 2d mmo. Thanks.
Rudolpho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2010 10:59
It definitively works, but DB is more directed at 3D. The general opinion is that 2D, which is supposedly achieved using textured plain 3D meshes, is rather slow. Still it has worked well for all my endevaours with it so far.

If you really need the speed, it is my understanding that PlayBASIC (search for it) might be better suited for 2D. But don't take my word on that, I've never even used it.

TDK
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2010 16:45
Yes, DBPro is aimed at people who want to write 3D programs using Windows DirectX, so 2D support is I suppose a bit lacking.

But, having said that, 2D works fine. It's said to be 'slow', but that's relative. On today's machines, even 'slow' is quite fast. You only have to look at some of the 2D games and apps which are being created at the moment in DB.

What's more, with DBP you also have the ability to create 2D programs which include 3D view windows (like my 2D Sprite Designer - Dark Sprites).

So, check out the 2D board on here.

TDK

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-28 14:22:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-28 14:22:31