Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / objects smearing across screen

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 13:29
Anyone know why this is happening? I have the BACKDROP ON. I am now using just the default camera.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 15:20
Mentor added this reply to my problem is another thread...

if the backdrop is on and you use the default camera (#0) then you should get no blurring, try putting the scene inside a giant cube with culling set so you can see the inside and then see what difference that makes, but if the background is on and not clearing then you may have a driver/DX issue, you only ever need to use camera 0 for the main views and you don`t need to name it in most of the commands (eg: position camera 20,30,40 ...... no camera number needed), use the other cameras for effects or split screen, but you should always be using the default camera for your primary view(you can tell it by the default blue background, not green, green is a created camera) extra cameras will slow down the code so they are best avoided wherever possible, cheers.

Mentor.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 15:21
I'm not sure exactly what's going on any more, but when I had an extra camera, this never happened. The blurring occurs even inside a Skysphere, with no empty background to interfere.

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 15:50
try this camera example perhaps

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=7907&b=6

http://www.lunarpixel.com
It's already tomorrow in Australia
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 16:00
could we have a code example please? it may be due to some misunderstanding of the manual (not hard to do...it is <expletive deleted> poor )

Mentor.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 17:16
I only have the manual command section - no examples in the Alienware trial version. I have the full monty for DBC - but DBC only has one camera!

This is a condensed list of the commands I am using. setDisplay() is called once, the camera code is called after repositioning all the objects on screen.

There are no other camera instructions in the code

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 18:01
perhaps

backdrop off camnum

bro

http://www.lunarpixel.com
It's already tomorrow in Australia
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 19:36
There's something seriously wrong. I've created an extra camera. I've made the viewport of the default camera to be 10 pixels square in the corner. You can see the red Backdrop that I coloured.

For the camera I've made, I've set the backdrop to mid-grey. The screen is actually black, so it's not showing the backdrop, even though I've set it on manually.

Is this worth forwarding to the DB team do you think?

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 21:35
why a 16 bit mode?, 32 bit is normaly faster, is it that you have a 3DFX card?, DB has always had problems with 3DFX IIRC, and on any other card 32 bit should be faster, maybe you have a driver/directx problem, open the start menu, go to run and then type dxdiag and see what the system reports.

Mentor.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 02:40
I guessed that if a 32 bit card is using 2 extra bytes for every bit of info, it would have a performance hit.

Just tried it...exactly the same FPS.

I got rid of my problems by adding a skybox which I would inevitably have done anyway.

Thanks everyone for the input, I may not have solved the problem, but I learnt plenty trying!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 21:39:20
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 21:39:20