Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Valve's nVidia woes

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 17:37
(Thanks to Dead Glory on the LLRGT forum for this link, I hope he dosen't mind!)

http://www.techreport.com/etc/2003q3/valve/index.x?pg=1

Looks like GeForce FX cards are crap when it comes to DX9 . Like I've been telling ya people-- get a good solid ATI!

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball
Read It: http://www.angryflower.com/itsits.gif
Learn It: http://www.angryflower.com/bobsqu.gif
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 18:22
Quote: "The context of Newell's remarks was ATI's "Shader Days" event"

i'd strongly suggest you take that fact in, no further back than last month at Siggraph03 and QuakeCon - both Valve and id Software were putting down ATi's cards.

i'm gonna say this once and only once ... the web is full of ATi bull, simply because they're getting increasingly lowersales - its funny how everytime ATi report another bad month of sales this guy Newell steps forward to say "oh yeah Radeons perform better on Half-Life2"

and yet STILL on nZone you have several of the staff saying that the FX line is the best solution.
I still want to know EXACTLY who this guy is and what he is ACTUALLY doing in Half-Life2 because from what i keep hearing he certainly as hell isn't part of the actual development team, let along the programmers and artists who are the ones working with the cards directly trying to get support and such.

-- -- --

Sorry but you wanna spread this Radeon bull go somewhere else to spread it ... i mean look closer at that benchmark you showed the otherday, the guy states clearly and tries to point out the Quality difference between ATi and nVidia's cards - but look at the guns which are the same in both pictures. The nVidia card has quite OBVIOUSLY better quality... yet he called it a hands down ATi victory. He also included the benchmark scores from build330 of 03 the one which was patched to fixx the "cheats" of both cards, then he goes on to state that because the scores are so different he isn't going to include it in the final analysis.
And you then look at all of the operations between the cards on the tests where the FX5900 ultra ONLY JUST beats the ATi, and we're talking by flipping fractions ... and it generally so-called looses its scores in areas which quite frankly it is technically baffling to wonder how a card capable of 128bit operations against a card doing 32bit operations of the same operations and drivers to specifically utilise this fact.

sorry but all of the so-called benchmarks i've seen just don't coninside with the hundreds of benchmarks we ran at my previous job conserning these cards, they also aren't consistant with the scores in any other way that the FX always looses.
(however the Radeons always have consistant scores, wonder how that one works)

-- -- --

i'm getting sick of this whole Radeon's are better bull and there should be a rule against people posting information which states either nVidia's or ATi's cards are better ...

-- -- --

ya know what REALLY gets me here, is that the GeForce4ti range no more than a year ago were suppose to be slower but kinda on par with the Radeons 97/9800pro cards. Yet the FAR FAR faster GeForceFX line are somehow now only just slower than the Radeon equivilants?
I wonder when the FX2 hit the stores at Christmas if they'll also be just a tad slower than the Radeon 97/9800pro cards ... personally i'd bet alot of cash that it will be.

think about it for a second guys, if the FX5900 Ultra and FX line generally were AS SLOW as you guys reckon they are. Why the hell are ATi developing the R480 as thier answer TO the FX5900 Ultra.

That was thier official statement on why they were developing the R480, and the R500 has also started production to combat whatever the FX2 is going to pull out of the rabbithat.

... sorry but there are just too many things that just don't add up, particuarly those HL2 scores considering myself and the other beta testers get a consistantly LOWER Radeon speed.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 18:24
They don't tend to add up in your book, do they Raven

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 18:30
Quote: "I still want to know EXACTLY who this guy is and what he is ACTUALLY doing in Half-Life2 because from what i keep hearing he certainly as hell isn't part of the actual development team, let along the programmers and artists who are the ones working with the cards directly trying to get support and such."

Well, for being in the "industry" and all you should know who he is.
Hint: Co-founder of Valve.

I awoke in a fever. The bedclothes were all soaked in sweat.
She said "You've been having a nightmare and it's not over yet"
Richard Davey
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 18:40
Ahhh I'm glad I've got both cards here! Every real benchmark so far proves the Radeons ahead in true DX9 use, guess this is just another one. Still, I'm keeping my FX5900 Ultra installed until I see HL2 run like a dog on it (which somehow I doubt will happen) or until ATI send me a free 9800 Pro

Cheers,

Rich

"Gentlemen, we have short-circuited the Universe!"
WOLFY
Years of Service
User Offline
LOL!

HOOOWWWLLL!!!
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 18:41
Tell them you'd give them lots of free advertizing if they did

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 18:43 Edited at: 11th Sep 2003 18:44
I certainly haven't heard of him (and I'm in the 'industry' too - the opposite end, unfortunately)...
Mind you, the total number of Valve games I've got amounts to 0...

If this chap is correct, then it looks like I made a slight booboo getting FX5600 for my new computers... Ah well...

Avatar & Logo by Indi. Come to the UK DBPro Convention in Chichester
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 19:11 Edited at: 11th Sep 2003 19:12
@Raven

This really is getting ridiculous, there isn't a single correct fact in your post. When Half-Life 2 is released, then the world can find out for itself which card performs better

Oh, and Gabe Newell is the founder of Valve

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 19:17

-RUST-
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Sep 2003 19:26
'sorry but all of the so-called benchmarks i've seen just don't coninside with the hundreds of benchmarks we ran at my previous job conserning these cards, they also aren't consistant with the scores in any other way that the FX always looses.
(however the Radeons always have consistant scores, wonder how that one works)'

I'm sure if your previous job did 'hundreds' of benchmarks, they'll have made some of the information public. Is there a web site with this information?

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 03:28
pah! yeah thats someone you want to ask about development issues one the of the management.
knew he had nothing to do with the programming team.

Asking him about graphical issues and such would be like asking Jeremy-Heath Smith ... why AC97 cards don't seem to support EAX2.0 in AoD.

Only difference is Jeremy would turn around and say something like,
"Buggered if i know, ask the sound programmer."

-- -- --

and as for the benchmarks performed at my jobs, why exactly do you feel that these should be PUBLIC benchmarks?
no doubt The Game Creators run several benchmarks on each of the given features to see if thier performance is upto what they expect on given hardware, its a common practise in most development houses where performance is a major issue.

you'll sit there and design a bunch of new models to replace the placeholders - sit there and have to benchmark the performance to see if they'll run at a decent speed, then from that you can either figure if they need to be optimised else you can sit there and remember that so you know how much the system can handle and move onto creating the actual scenes and scripting them around the limitations.

I mean if you don't do that then you end up with a game like Jedi Knight2 which will go from insanely fast to slow as a slug in record time.

can sometimes take the better part of a week to run all the nessisary trials.
this is oftenly how they predict the lowest system spec as well, very few houses actually own the "lowest" spec - oftenly the recommended but rarely the low.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 03:40
Quote: " pah! yeah thats someone you want to ask about development issues one the of the management.
knew he had nothing to do with the programming team.

Asking him about graphical issues and such would be like asking Jeremy-Heath Smith ... why AC97 cards don't seem to support EAX2.0 in AoD.

Only difference is Jeremy would turn around and say something like,
"Buggered if i know, ask the sound programmer.""

Yeah sure, that's probably why he had to leave Core.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 03:53
'knew he had nothing to do with the programming team'

Uh... right. Yup.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 03:55
He had to leave Core because he was the escape goat ...
he's a bloody good man, it was totally out of order what Eidos did to him and have done to Core. Adrian agree'd what Eidos did was out of line to the point where he resigned very soon afterwards.

this was followed this month with over 30 members leaving Core leaving it with a skeleton crew which Eidos deemed would continue developments but due to the fact that there were only 34 employees left 14 of which were support and tester and such, they let everyone that was non-essential go.

after what Eidos have done over the past 2years, and the more recent previous 12months to Core ... quite frankly this'll teach them that they've made one of the biggest mistakes of thier carrer.
especially with the comment "Eidos' isn't just 'Tomb Raiders' label and they can survive just fine without it"
Sorry but one of the titles they actually got them into the black was Angel of Darkness, which was released 6months too early - and the actual talent in Ai/Physics/Shaders actually left last christmas because Eidos wanted them to get a game ready 12MONTHS before they had planned to release it.

The Smith Brothers and the 30 Core Staff that left to join them truely have the support of alot of people behind them in what they've done, and they'll continue to have the help and support of alot of individuals over the comming 12months as they set up "Circle Studios"

-- -- --

personally i though that AoD was a good game but a little buggy before, but when i found out EXACTLY how much development time it really had ... quite frankly its a miricle of how stable it is.

empty
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 04:05
And this relates to the topic in what way?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 04:09
Escape goat ? Raven, you need some sleep... your vocabulary is starting to suffer... it's scapegoat

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 12:36
*whistles the tune to "The Great Escape", except Steve McQueen is replaced by 'Bleaty' the goat*

A wise man once said: "I know that I need codes but I dont know the codes"
Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 16:25
Quote: "pah! yeah thats someone you want to ask about development issues one the of the management.
knew he had nothing to do with the programming team."

That's rather like saying that John Carmack or Todd Wilits shouldn't be asked about development issues on DOOM 3.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 18:51
Weeeel... John Carmack is the main coder, it's his engine... but the second example I agree with.

Moreover, although most people won't know what I'm talking about, it's like saying Tedders shouldn't be asked about game engine details 'cuz he wasn't a lead coder, grrrr

actarus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 18:55
It'll be interresting to see HL2 the WildcatsVP series,I'm getting one before the end of the year

Everyobdy wants to be loved,But no one loves everybody...

HEY!!! I'm the one who had 'Cyberspace' in his location on the older black forums,shame on you Rich j/k
Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 19:53
you guys read what Carmack has said about the nv30 vs R300 argument?
its a very interesting read ... it's pretty valid considering he pitted the nv30 GeForceFX5200 against the R300 Radeon 9600

and he said that the nv30 marginally was faster than the R300, and it could take a bigger lead not relying on the ARGB2 but the NV30 instruction sets. The R300 also performed slightly better in R200 and R300 mode than it did in ARGB2...
Carmack contributed the fact the nv30 was actually slower in some instances was because of the flip between the FP16 and FP32 sets.
As the R300 only has the FP24 at its disposal it the reaction to what the nv30 should use can slow things down and the fact that when it uses FP32 (which he has deemed kinda unessary becuse the visual benifits can't really be seen - which is true most people won't be able to tell the difference between 64bit and 128bit operations and the only REAL time to use the 128bit FP32 is when calculating precision of things suchas vertex positions in collision and such.)

But what he reckons is the main problem with this is the fact that the nVidia drivers are still too young and are not actually optimised properly yet - when nVidia can handle the fragmented programs better on the GPU no doubt we'll see one hell of a speed boost over the comming months.

i think the quad precision that the GeForceFX gives as opposed to the triple that the Radeons do are the major difference.
Although ATi's band to just stick thier precision to a more standardised rate - this a)makes them harder to develop effects for, because sometime they lack precision, sometimes you have to add precision which doesn't need to be there and b)you can't double up the precision modes.

also the fact that the Radeons have a pretty small limit on instruction sets ... on major reason i've personally chosen the FX5900 for a current project is because i can do everything i want in a single pass and speed it up with precision optimisation.
You can put the same code onto the Radeon 9800pro and it'll simply not be able to hack it, when you hit the instruction limit you have to then fragment the program to the next pass.
As my rendering engine has 8passes on the GeForceFX, the limitation on the Radeon ment that i had to take 16-18 passes for the same shaders, and also have to structure them differently to compensate for this fact.
This literally cuts the speed in half if i want the same level of detail ingame ... to me the whole arugments of Radeon vs GeForceFX is very much like saying which processor is better,

PPC G4 3.0ghz or the Intel Pentium4 3.0ghz HT
they're 2 totally different designs and you can't honestly say which is better from a developers point of view ... and although yes shaders do have to be able to run to a specification to make them more comptible all around - as i've said time and time again, how they're implimented by the different companies varies quite dramatically.

Shader implimentation isn't like the implimentation of MMX on the Pentia processor line - or the adhearance to the OpenGL specifications, these guys are creating totally different setups.

i mean thats something to think about atleast, the interview is on beyond3d.com
although powerwise the FX5900 Ultra doesn't technically beat the FX5800 Ultra in everyday tasks ... as we get more and more into the realm of shaders thats when you see the new technology truely shine.

they also have a review of the Creative Blaster5 FX5900 Ultra which is the card i currently own there too, and its benchmarks are pretty much spot on for my 1.82Ghz Pentium4 (although its wierd how the AoD benchmark results differ greatly from the Blaster5 to the 5900ultra benchmarked against the Radeons)

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 20:32 Edited at: 12th Sep 2003 20:34
AFAIK, although Carmack has prefered NVidia over anything else for as long as I can remember, he was fairly upbeat about ATI recently (thanks to the 128bit precision in the Radeon9800).

There IS an important point here, NVidia cards generally outperform ATI on the OpenGL platform, because NVidia's GL drivers are superior IMO. However, on the DX9 platform, which I am told was co-authored by ATI, the opposite is true. Carmack is, and always has been, coding on the OpenGL platform.

@Mouse

The Carmack point I was making is that Gabe is, as far as I can tell from emails to people at Half-Life2.net, very much a hands on person, and as Valve is still a fairly small company, he has very in-depth info on the Source engine.

MushroomHead
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Sep 2003 20:50
Quote: "Still, I'm keeping my FX5900 Ultra installed until I see HL2 run like a dog on it (which somehow I doubt will happen) or until ATI send me a free 9800 Pro"

If ATI sends you a 9800 pro, you can give me your Ultra

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-20 12:54:18
Your offset time is: 2024-09-20 12:54:18